The Hateful Eight

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hateful Eight

Quentin Tarantino's New Movie Sets Title, Begins Casting

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/quentin-tarantinos-new-movie-sets-668946

For his first movie since 2012's Django Unchained, the director is going back to the Western genre with a script called The Hateful Eight, which he hopes to direct this summer, according to sources. (Another source said there is no timetable at this stage.)

The title suggests Tarantino could be upping the ante, playing off the title of John Sturges' 1960 film The Magnificent Seven, which in turn was a remake of Akira Kurosawa's 1954 Seven Samurai.

No one has been cast yet, but Tarantino has reached out to veteran casting director Victoria Thomas, who worked on Django, to work with him on casting the movie, say several insiders. A part has been written for Christoph Waltz, who starred in Tarantino's Django and Inglourious Basterds.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quentin Tarantino Will Not Direct Western ‘Hateful Eight’ as His Next Film

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/q...rn-hateful-eight-as-his-next-film-1201066380/

After the script to his latest pic “The Hateful Eight” leaked early, Quentin Tarantino has decided to not make his next directing assignment.

Deadline Hollywood broke the news in an interview with Tarantino and the report says the filmmaker already has an idea for his next script.

In the Deadline report, Tarantino says, ““I’m very, very depressed. I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today.”

Tarantino is considering meeting with publishers in order to have the script turned into a novel.

“I’m going to publish it, and that’s it for now,” Tarantino said. “I give it out to six people and if I can’t trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got ten more where that came from.”

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quentin Tarantino files lawsuit a week after script leak

http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainmen...les-lawsuit-week-after-script-leak-2D11999979

A week after declaring he would no longer make his next film "The Hateful Eight" because someone in his small circle had leaked the screenplay, director Quentin Tarantino has taken legal action against Gawker Media alleging copyright infringement for disseminating the script.

Tarantino's lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles on Monday, alleges that the web site Gawker disseminated "unauthorized downloadable copies of the leaked unreleased complete screenplay" and "expressly refused to remove their directions to and URL links to get the infringing materials." The director is demanding actual and statutory damages as well as Gawker's profits in the amount of at least $1 million.

"Gawker Media has made a business of predatory journalism, violating people’s rights to make a buck," the complaint states. "This time, they went too far. Rather than merely publishing a news story reporting that Plaintiff’s screenplay may have been circulating in Hollywood without his permission, Gawker Media crossed the journalistic line by promoting itself to the public as the first source to read the entire screenplay illegally."

The issue erupted last week when Tarantino learned through his agent that details of his next western, which he wrote and planned to direct, were circulating. Tarantino told Deadline.com that that one of six people with whom he shared his script had betrayed him.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The Hateful Eight are: Academy Award-nominee Samuel L. Jackson (Django Unchained) as Major Marquis Warren, Golden Globe-nominee Kurt Russell (Escape From New York) as John “The Hangman” Ruth, Golden Globe-nominee Jennifer Jason Leigh (Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle) as Daisy Domergue, Emmy-nominee Walton Goggins (“Justified”) as Chris Mannix, Academy Award-nominee Demian Bichir (A Better Life) as Bob, Academy Award-nominee Tim Roth (Reservoir Dogs) as Oswaldo Mobray, Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs) as Joe Gage and Academy Award-nominee Bruce Dern (Nebraska) General Sanford Smithers. Also, Channing Tatum (Foxcatcher) has signed on for a role in the project.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...l-eight-assemble-in-a-behind-the-scenes-image

In The Hateful Eight, set six or eight or twelve years after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the wintry Wyoming landscape. The passengers, bounty hunter John Ruth (Russell) and his fugitive Daisy Domergue (Leigh), race towards the town of Red Rock where Ruth, known in these parts as “The Hangman,” will bring Domergue to justice. Along the road, they encounter two strangers: Major Marquis Warren (Jackson), a black former union soldier turned infamous bounty hunter, and Chris Mannix (Goggins), a southern renegade who claims to be the town’s new Sheriff. Losing their lead on the blizzard, Ruth, Domergue, Warren and Mannix seek refuge at Minnie’s Haberdashery, a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass. When they arrive at Minnie’s, they are greeted not by the proprietor but by four unfamiliar faces. Bob (Bichir), who’s taking care of Minnie’s while she’s visiting her mother, is holed up with Oswaldo Mobray (Roth), the hangman of Red Rock, cow-puncher Joe Gage (Madsen), and Confederate General Sanford Smithers (Dern). As the storm overtakes the mountainside stopover, our eight travelers come to learn they may not make it to Red Rock after all…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Hateful Eight are: Academy Award-nominee Samuel L. Jackson (Django Unchained) as Major Marquis Warren, Golden Globe-nominee Kurt Russell (Escape From New York) as John “The Hangman” Ruth, Golden Globe-nominee Jennifer Jason Leigh (Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle) as Daisy Domergue, Emmy-nominee Walton Goggins (“Justified”) as Chris Mannix, Academy Award-nominee Demian Bichir (A Better Life) as Bob, Academy Award-nominee Tim Roth (Reservoir Dogs) as Oswaldo Mobray, Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs) as Joe Gage and Academy Award-nominee Bruce Dern (Nebraska) General Sanford Smithers. Also, Channing Tatum (Foxcatcher) has signed on for a role in the project.

that's a pretty badass cast.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is a cool run down on why Tarantino decided to shoot the film in 65 MM Panavision with old retrofitted cameras. It will be opening this Christmas in old "roadshow" fashion in selected theaters ( I think only 100 nationwide) that can show this in 70MM. Good history here:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a list of the 100 theaters that will be showing this "Roadshow" style in 70mm starting on Christmas day:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/quentin-tarantinos-hateful-eight-70mm-849552

The revenge Western will debut exclusively in 70mm film in 100 North American theaters on Christmas Day.

Quentin Tarantino and The Weinstein Co. are getting ready to embark on one of the most ambitious, and complicated, release plans in recent cinematic history — to make Tarantino's The Hateful Eight available in 70mm film in 100 theaters.

The exclusive roadshow commences Dec. 25; on Dec. 31, Hateful Eight will expand nationwide into hundreds of locations, where it will be projected digitally.

Here's the ones in Arizona:

Arizona
Harkins Tempe Marketplace, Tempe
Harkins Scottsdale 101, Scottsdale
AMC Phoenix Westgate, Glendale

Just picked up a couple tickets as a Christmas present for my youngest son for one of the showings in Portland. It was already sold out for Christmas and Dec. 26, so I got Dec. 27th. If he doesn't want to go with a friend, I get first dibs on the roadtrip! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hateful Eight

Release Date: December 25, 2015 (limited; wide: Jan. 1)
Studio: The Weinstein Company
Director: Quentin Tarantino
MPAA Rating: R (for strong bloody violence, a scene of violent sexual content, language and some graphic nudity)
Screenwriter: Quentin Tarantino
Genre: Western
Website: TheHatefulEight.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, , Jennifer Jason Leigh, Kurt Russell, Bruce Dern, Demian Bichir, Walton Goggins, Channing Tatum

Plot Summary: In "The Hateful Eight," set six or eight or twelve years after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the wintry Wyoming landscape. The passengers, bounty hunter John Ruth (Russell) and his fugitive Daisy Domergue (Leigh), race towards the town of Red Rock where Ruth, known in these parts as "The Hangman," will bring Domergue to justice. Along the road, they encounter two strangers: Major Marquis Warren (Jackson), a black former union soldier turned infamous bounty hunter, and Chris Mannix (Goggins), a southern renegade who claims to be the town’s new Sheriff. Losing their lead on the blizzard, Ruth, Domergue, Warren and Mannix seek refuge at Minnie's Haberdashery, a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass. When they arrive at Minnie's, they are greeted not by the proprietor but by four unfamiliar faces. Bob (Bichir), who's taking care of Minnie's while she’s visiting her mother, is holed up with Oswaldo Mobray (Roth), the hangman of Red Rock, cow-puncher Joe Gage (Madsen), and Confederate General Sanford Smithers (Dern). As the storm overtakes the mountainside stopover, our eight travelers come to learn they may not make it to Red Rock after all...

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm sure QT isn't going to be happy to know that DVD screeners have already leaked to pirate sites. But that is what happens this time of year with Academy Award screeners and they haven't been able to stop it yet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was EPIC.

Favorite movie of the year, hands down.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw this in 70MM in Portland yesterday at the Hollywood Theater in Portland after about a 4 hour drive, w/ my film crazed youngest son who loves Tarantino and westerns. We found out while waiting for the show that had we seen the show the night before, Tararantino himself would have been in the audience watching it with us. :bang: Apparently he and cast members have been making surprise appearances at the various 70MM showings.

If I got my facts right here, the last 70MM major movie showing was in 1966. Ben Hur, Mad Mad World, etc. It was pretty cool to see it in this format on the wide screen. I loved the big wide vistas of the Rockies and the snowy terrain at the beginning.

So they put this on oldschool with a musical "overture" at the beginning, an intermission in the middle and handed out programs. So that was pretty cool.

You know that guy who did the music for The Good, The Bad and the Ugly? Ennio Morricone? I guess he hasn't done a score for a western movie in 40ish years. But they had him do the musical score for this one, and it was awesome. They mixed in other music as well, but I loved his stuff, and it really helped build the suspense.

I am not a big QT movie fan in terms of all the blood and stuff. And this one had plenty of that. But overall the movie was amazing. Yes, it was a western, but it was also kinda like a murder mystery as well. The cast was amazing and there were several big time performances. There were some absolutely shocking scenes, but I will leave it at that.

Two thumbs up, way up here.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this in 70MM in Portland yesterday at the Hollywood Theater in Portland after about a 4 hour drive, w/ my film crazed youngest son who loves Tarantino and westerns. We found out while waiting for the show that had we seen the show the night before, Tararantino himself would have been in the audience watching it with us. :bang: Apparently he and cast members have been making surprise appearances at the various 70MM showings.

If I got my facts right here, the last 70MM major movie showing was in 1966. Ben Hur, Mad Mad World, etc. It was pretty cool to see it in this format on the wide screen. I loved the big wide vistas of the Rockies and the snowy terrain at the beginning.

So they put this on oldschool with a musical "overture" at the beginning, an intermission in the middle and handed out programs. So that was pretty cool.

You know that guy who did the music for The Good, The Bad and the Ugly? Ennio Morricone? I guess he hasn't done a score for a western movie in 40ish years. But they had him do the musical score for this one, and it was awesome. They mixed in other music as well, but I loved his stuff, and it really helped build the suspense.

I am not a big QT movie fan in terms of all the blood and stuff. And this one had plenty of that. But overall the movie was amazing. Yes, it was a western, but it was also kinda like a murder mystery as well. The cast was amazing and there were several big time performances. There were some absolutely shocking scenes, but I will leave it at that.

Two thumbs up, way up here.

I know a couple of people who made it to that showing and were blown away when he came out. They said the expereince was awesome!

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know a couple of people who made it to that showing and were blown away when he came out. They said the expereince was awesome!

Yep, blown away is a very appropriate phrase for describing several scenes in this movie. ;)

My favorite part was turning to look at my son's jaw drop to the floor on a few of them. He watches tons of movies and was more shocked than ever at times.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It was a pretty damn fun movie, alright. The whole 70mm thing didn't seem to be much different, but we got a nice booklet for the extra cash we splashed, so I had no problem with the extra cost. Lots of twists and turns, as expected, and I didn't predict any of them, so that was nice. I did have a problem with the MAJOR plot hole, because it made a big promise to the audience that went completely unfulfilled (and made us think something wasn't quite right in one part), but overall, I loved it.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok now that I am done grinding my teeth and being super pissed about all things Cardinals today, lets talk movies!

The best praise I can give this movie is this. I swear, this is 100% true. First, a preface: I usually dont like long movies. Even when movies are really really good, I still usually leave them thinking; that really didn't need to be that long, they could have cut out a lot of garbage and made it 2hrs.

So to my point, I had no idea that this movie was almost 3 hours long. I honestly never thought about it. It was way too much fun and I was enjoying it too much. I didn't realize until I was looking at fandango just now and I saw the running time was 2hrs 47mins I was like; 'what? Really? No way, it wasn't that long!'

So there you go. For me, that is the best praise I could ever give a movie that is almost 3 hours. I didn't notice it was that long, and I was bummed when it was over. Most importantly, I will absolutely see it again! I wish I could see it in the full 70mm or whatever it is. Is there anywhere in Phx showing it that way? Is it like a special theater?

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok now that I am done grinding my teeth and being super pissed about all things Cardinals today, lets talk movies!

The best praise I can give this movie is this. I swear, this is 100% true. First, a preface: I usually dont like long movies. Even when movies are really really good, I still usually leave them thinking; that really didn't need to be that long, they could have cut out a lot of garbage and made it 2hrs.

So to my point, I had no idea that this movie was almost 3 hours long. I honestly never thought about it. It was way too much fun and I was enjoying it too much. I didn't realize until I was looking at fandango just now and I saw the running time was 2hrs 47mins I was like; 'what? Really? No way, it wasn't that long!'

So there you go. For me, that is the best praise I could ever give a movie that is almost 3 hours. I didn't notice it was that long, and I was bummed when it was over. Most importantly, I will absolutely see it again! I wish I could see it in the full 70mm or whatever it is. Is there anywhere in Phx showing it that way? Is it like a special theater?

Hey Bert, I am pasting this from post #12 above for the 70MM locations, but double check before you go:

Arizona
Harkins Tempe Marketplace, Tempe
Harkins Scottsdale 101, Scottsdale
AMC Phoenix Westgate, Glendale

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey Bert, I am pasting this from post #12 above for the 70MM locations, but double check before you go:

Thank you AZ! I didn't think to check the earlier thread. I will definitey be checking this out. Thanks again. :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
But can you prove it Cabron????

Rofl!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to see this tonight. Excited!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it again a couple days ago. So freaking good. Only major change I noticed was that the opening pull back from the cross seemed to be MUCH shorter timewise then the long version.