The Durant Sweepstakes

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some guy on sports radio this morning said that it came out that Durant does not have a trade veto clause. If that's true, he's not calling the shots on what team he ends up with.
Yeah he has no actual control over this, it all depends on how willing Brooklyn is to meet his requests (about being traded and where to).

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Some guy on sports radio this morning said that it came out that Durant does not have a trade veto clause. If that's true, he's not calling the shots on what team he ends up with.
Thats old news, its still a players league and the supers have pull

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I check Youtube throughout the day for updates. Man the pundits sure do like reaching to find ANY team other than the Suns for KD to land. Its pathetic how the Lakers can give next to nothing for Kyrie but the Suns must gut all their picks and depth.
yes, the Suns seem to be a relatively minor mention in the ongoing Durant news breaks

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is a much more versatile player than Gobert. I think Utah, unless they decide to send off Mitchell, will be a better team with DA
I am all in on the KD trade but our two defensive anchors BAR NONE all season long we’re Ayton and Bridges despite any inconsistency in the playoffs.

If both of those players go? I am worried about the transformation on the other end. Signing crappy SG to fill out the roster isn’t going recover any of that. I have to believe the Suns have a good idea who they can get out of the KD and Ayton trades.

I am willing to give JJ the benefit of the doubt right now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is unique is that Durant is the the rare case a Superstar doesn’t have a no trade clause or trade veto clause.

Having said that? I don’t buy he has no leverage arguments. It’s still a players league. When is the last time you have seen Superstar go where he doesn’t want?

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is unique is that Durant is the the rare case a Superstar doesn’t have a no trade clause or trade veto clause.

Having said that? I don’t buy he has no leverage arguments. It’s still a players league. When is the last time you have seen Superstar go where he doesn’t want?

True, but the Nets have final say. And they will use that to jack the price up or get the best deal they can.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Nets want to be a future destination for star type players, it behooves their front office to accommodate them.

It's a players league and a team never wants to get on the wrong side of players and agents.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, on paper, Nets have the control and they are calling the shots. In reality, nobody wants to screw over a top-five player if they ever wants another top-five player to join them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but the Nets have final say. And they will use that to jack the price up or get the best deal they can.

Of course the Nets want the most value in return. That's part of the equation.

Also when stars who want to leave a team while they are under contract, they will usually submit a short list of teams where they are willing to play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I check Youtube throughout the day for updates. Man the pundits sure do like reaching to find ANY team other than the Suns for KD to land. Its pathetic how the Lakers can give next to nothing for Kyrie but the Suns must gut all their picks and depth. If KD stated a Commifornia team as his destination then 2 picks and a scrub would suffice in the eyes of bias media
Keep it in P&R. Don’t need that trash here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If the Nets want to be a future destination for star type players, it behooves their front office to accommodate them.

It's a players league and a team never wants to get on the wrong side of players and agents.
I keep seeing it’s a players in control league. Does that mean Gobert wanted to be traded to Minnesota? He’s not a nothing guy. Multiple defensive player of the year perennial all defense team and all star.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep seeing it’s a players in control league. Does that mean Gobert wanted to be traded to Minnesota? He’s not a nothing guy. Multiple defensive player of the year perennial all defense team and all star.

Gobert wanted away from Mitchell. I don't think he cared how that happened. I don't think he envisioned ending up in Minnesota but ultimately it's not a terrible spot for him. I think he'll be fine there, it's KAT who will really need to adjust.

I don't know what Minnesota was thinking. Not only with that trade but the super max for KAT as well, which restricts their ability to trade him for the next 2 years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a good question. I doubt Gobert would have been sent to the Timberwolves kicking and screaming.

Also I believe Gobert has a connection with Timberwolves president Tim Connelly.

The Wolves gave up a lot for Gobert so I doubt he frowned on the trade.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I check Youtube throughout the day for updates. Man the pundits sure do like reaching to find ANY team other than the Suns for KD to land. Its pathetic how the Lakers can give next to nothing for Kyrie but the Suns must gut all their picks and depth. If KD stated a Commifornia team as his destination then 2 picks and a scrub would suffice in the eyes of bias media
Please don't go there. Take this to P&R Forum. Actually, I don't even think that is allowed in the P&R forum. So just don't.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting if Charlotte pulls their offer to Miles Bridges does it give them enough cap space to sign DA to an offer sheet outright? Would this blow up a Durant trade or help it?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't help but think DA is going to screw this up in some way. I keep waiting for breaking news that he has signed an offer sheet with Indiana. I hope the Phoenix Suns have made it clear that they will match it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just can't help but think DA is going to screw this up in some way. I keep waiting for breaking news that he has signed an offer sheet with Indiana. I hope the Phoenix Suns have made it clear that they will match it.
This is my expectation.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure they have, but that may not stop him.

I don't think it's going to be a problem, I'm sure there has been a lot of communication with him and Utah, and if that was going to happen, I think it already would have.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Darkside of me thinks this too.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No that it isn’t a valuable skill but I doubt most teams value a centers permitter defense over the other skills you depend on at that position.

It’s very valuable. Would you take Bam on your team?

The days of that guy staying in the paint are over. Versatility is at a premium in the NBA today

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Good News is KD is not the type of player that would get traded to a team he doesn't want. They could honeydick him and he might play but chances are he would sit on his hands until he got his way.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s very valuable. Would you take Bam on your team?

The days of that guy staying in the paint are over. Versatility is at a premium in the NBA today
To many variables. Nobody is going to depend on a center to do most of their perimeter defense or even anchor it like they do paint defense and protecting the rim. Completely depends on the team, the system and the level of talent they have. I would guarantee nobody signs a center and the first they think is..."how well is his perimeter defense". Again, not saying it's not valuable.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am all in on the KD trade but our two defensive anchors BAR NONE all season long we’re Ayton and Bridges despite any inconsistency in the playoffs.

indeed. Bridges should be almost un-tradable because of his versatility as a defensive anchor. there are far fewer of him than there are of stars that can get you buckets. and every team needs a Bridges in their starting line-up.

and yet, i wouldn't be surprised if he's never an all-star or warrants max money.

and yet, again, at his age, i may be alone in saying i'd have to think long and hard about trading him straight up for a few years of KD -- unless i was really sure KD would be in a chemistry situation here that was unlikely to bust like the Nets experiment did

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If your DA why would you help the Suns? Out of the kindness of your heart?

I don’t think DA needs to be involved in a deal directly for KD but it will be two different deals and we will need those assets from the Ayton deal

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison