The Durant Sweepstakes

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm worried about defense and shooting. If we give up Ayton and one of Bridges or Johnson, how do we compensate?
Yeah it will be a problem.

but booker, KD, CP, Clarkson, and mikal is an incredible offensive lineup.

that should be unbelievable to close out games.

my biggest worry is rebounding.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
That's true but right now the league office can't make anything official. We have to wait until July 6th, I believe, for the moratorium to end. Right now it's all agreed in principle but not official. Teams and player can back out but it's rare. One of the most well recent cases was Markieff Morris agreeing to a deal with San Antonio during the moratorium and then signing with the Knicks instead, just a few years ago.

Trades are usually followed through with, even though more parties are involved, because undoing them entirely burns bridges and no one wants to do that unless they have to. They can easily amend deals though, happened with Lonzo Ball last off-season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This isn’t me arguing, just talking through things so I can better understand in the future :) But isn’t July 6th the beginning of the new league year and the official date to sign new free agents? Markieff was able to back out because he was signing a new contract and had just verbally agreed to it. The Ball trade was able to be amended because it was a sign and trade (involving a new contract), so it had been verbally agreed to, but not official until the start of the new league year. I thought that since Royce was already on a current deal, and he was being traded for a draft pick, that July 6th didn’t matter since there are no new contracts that can’t be made official until the official start of the new league year (July 6th). I thought trades not involving new contracts could be made official before the July 6th date.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How convenient, he tweets this right after he started getting replies telling him that deal can't happen because of Simmons. Typical Flex.
That and other people have been talking about a potential 3 way deal already because of the Utah moves earlier.

Flex bomb……..uh OK.

P.S. in the interview earlier. Love how he tries to clarify what Gambo broke. He said it’s not the Nets don’t want Ayton. Next sentence….the Nets don’t want Ayton to maintain flexibility. Thanks for clearing that up. LOL.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn’t me arguing, just talking through things so I can better understand in the future :) But isn’t July 6th the beginning of the new league year and the official date to sign new free agents? Markieff was able to back out because he was signing a new contract and had just verbally agreed to it. The Ball trade was able to be amended because it was a sign and trade (involving a new contract), so it had been verbally agreed to, but not official until the start of the new league year. I thought that since Royce was already on a current deal, and he was being traded for a draft pick, that July 6th didn’t matter since there are no new contracts that can’t be made official until the official start of the new league year (July 6th). I thought trades not involving new contracts could be made official before the July 6th date.

Trades right now are verbal agreements. They aren't official, like free agent signings. The moratorium right now prevents all deals from becoming official until the league office "opens" or resumes business July 6th. Deals are announced and essentially agreed upon right now but won't become official until the moratorium is over. Teams will announce things during this time but until the new league year opens nothing is 100% official.

A few years back there was the league stepping in to undo a trade involving Bogdan Bogdanovich to Milwaukee because it was deemed tampering since it was agreed upon before the moratorium which made it illegal. For the most part though they just let things go.

I'm 99% certain all deals, involving new contracts or not, are on hold until the league resumes business and the new league year starts after the moratorium.

Here's a source to back up my claim that all deals are on hold, not 100% official during the moratorium.

The first paragraph...

This Thursday at 3 p.m. (6 p.m. on the east coast), the NBA’s yearly moratorium goes into effect. What this means ostensibly is that most official NBA business, such as trades and signing free agents, cannot be conducted until the after the moratorium expires the morning of July 6.

Last edited:

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
  • The Jazz are not amenable to trading Donovan Mitchell, according to Tony Jones of The Athletic.​

Utah made waves Friday with the blockbuster trade that sent Rudy Gobert to Minnesota, but the plan now is to build around Donovan Mitchell rather than blowing up the team completely. Utah received four first-round picks in the Gobert deal to go with Patrick Beverley, Malik Beasley, Leandro Bolmaro, Walker Kessler and Jarred Vanderbilt. With a logjam in the backcourt, the Jazz will likely make some additional moves, and the slew of first-round picks at Danny Ainge's disposal could be used as trade bait to attract another star to Salt Lake City.
    SOURCE: Tony Jones of The Athletic
    Jul 2, 2022, 9:53 AM ET

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
  • The Jazz are not amenable to trading Donovan Mitchell, according to Tony Jones of The Athletic.​

Utah made waves Friday with the blockbuster trade that sent Rudy Gobert to Minnesota, but the plan now is to build around Donovan Mitchell rather than blowing up the team completely. Utah received four first-round picks in the Gobert deal to go with Patrick Beverley, Malik Beasley, Leandro Bolmaro, Walker Kessler and Jarred Vanderbilt. With a logjam in the backcourt, the Jazz will likely make some additional moves, and the slew of first-round picks at Danny Ainge's disposal could be used as trade bait to attract another star to Salt Lake City.
    SOURCE: Tony Jones of The Athletic
    Jul 2, 2022, 9:53 AM ET

Well somebody is full of crap, guess we find out soon.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It really didn't make sense for Utah to trade Mitchell after sending Gobert away unless it's a full tank job but acquiring Ayton says differently. However replacing Gobert with Ayton might give them an upgraded team. It would be better offensively but defensively they'd take a big step back. Ayton isn't the rim protector Gobert is.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This might be the deal.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's not too bad if this is correct.

I like Cam Johnson but can live with this.. Would it be possible to keep Cam Johnson and send over picks instead?

Can we some how throw in CP3 and draft picks for Mitchell lol?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
From the things I read and listened to on the radio, (the rumors no one knows if they are true LOL), it really sounds like NJ is mostly looking for flexibility. They have zero picks in the draft now due to the Harden trade. So it seems they want picks and expiring contracts mostly or fully. They don't want Ayton because he puts them in a hard cap situation, and again, they look to be moving salaries and gaining picks. So I don't even know if Ayton HAS to be in this trade. I have heard on the radio we have enough expiring contracts, if we throw in a guy not on expiring, we can make it work straight up with NJ.

Another point that stuck with me yesterday. They said KD would not ask out to come to PHX, unless he asked his guys first if it was possible. After being assured it could be done, then he would ask out. Makes sense, why ask if it can't be done? SO KD was supposedly assured it could be done before ever asking out. I think this rumor was from Flex, so take it with a grain of salt, or a bag of salt.

Another thing that was interesting was a photo on Twitter yesterday of KD in the valley at a fast food place in Paradise Valley. Then someone posting on Reddit they knew he was at a Realty office here in the Valley that day.

Finally, the Dejounte Murray trade. I think there's no way, absolutely no way we would normally NOT get involved in that trade. Dude would be the future PG of our franchise for a decade plus. When that went down, and we weren't involved I really could not see why. Now in hindsight, I am reading the Suns HAD to be tipped off KD was looking into if he could come to PHX. He's one of the few guys you would skip trying to get Murray for. We all know the NBA grape vine, I would not be surprised if our guys in PHX knew about KD way before it was reported he was asking out. We hold onto Crowder too, when his contract was supposedly a hot commodity to trade. Why? Would we need that in a BIGGER trade? LOL!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Cam Johnson but can live with this.. Would it be possible to keep Cam Johnson and send over picks instead?

Can we some how throw in CP3 and draft picks for Mitchell lol?
Pretty sure we are sending every pick we have over in this deal already - So most likely no.

One thing I am hoping though is we send craig instead of Payne in the deal.

Really don't like the looks of the backup PG's available.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another thing that was interesting was a photo on Twitter yesterday of KD in the valley at a fast food place in Paradise Valley. Then someone posting on Reddit they knew he was at a Realty office here in the Valley that day.

That pic was years old, as in not recent. The whole KD in the valley stuff has been a big joke on Reddit for weeks now with a new photoshop and story being posted almost daily.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will add by 2 cents as well, the way I understand it.

I've seen trades amended right before they are approved by the league office so other teams can do spinoff trades. This could well happen. It usually works out better for the primary teams involved. They usually do not hurt the principle of the trade.

Free agent signings are not official either until they are approved by the league office. I guess they can be amended as well because they are verbal agreements between players, agents and teams.

We are in the Moratorium period June 30th through July 6th where things are not official. Right now everything is verbal agreements.

Teams have a right to match an offer sheet in sign-and-trades for a RFA until July 8th.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
seems like the suns are sending Ayton to utah for a couple picks and then cam j, contracts and suns + jazz picks to brooklyn.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems like the suns are sending Ayton to utah for a couple picks and then cam j, contracts and suns + jazz picks to brooklyn.

I'm not sure where the rumors stand today but the Suns need to come out of the off season minimally with another point guard and a center if they trade Ayton.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It really didn't make sense for Utah to trade Mitchell after sending Gobert away unless it's a full tank job but acquiring Ayton says differently. However replacing Gobert with Ayton might give them an upgraded team. It would be better offensively but defensively they'd take a big step back. Ayton isn't the rim protector Gobert is.

Ayton is 10x the perimeter defender Gobert is though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the things I read and listened to on the radio, (the rumors no one knows if they are true LOL), it really sounds like NJ is mostly looking for flexibility. They have zero picks in the draft now due to the Harden trade. So it seems they want picks and expiring contracts mostly or fully. They don't want Ayton because he puts them in a hard cap situation, and again, they look to be moving salaries and gaining picks. So I don't even know if Ayton HAS to be in this trade. I have heard on the radio we have enough expiring contracts, if we throw in a guy not on expiring, we can make it work straight up with NJ.

Another point that stuck with me yesterday. They said KD would not ask out to come to PHX, unless he asked his guys first if it was possible. After being assured it could be done, then he would ask out. Makes sense, why ask if it can't be done? SO KD was supposedly assured it could be done before ever asking out. I think this rumor was from Flex, so take it with a grain of salt, or a bag of salt.

Finally, the Dejounte Murray trade. I think there's no way, absolutely no way we would normally NOT get involved in that trade. Dude would be the future PG of our franchise for a decade plus. When that went down, and we weren't involved I really could not see why. Now in hindsight, I am reading the Suns HAD to be tipped off KD was looking into if he could come to PHX. He's one of the few guys you would skip trying to get Murray for. We all know the NBA grape vine, I would not be surprised if our guys in PHX knew about KD way before it was reported he was asking out. We hold onto Crowder too, when his contract was supposedly a hot commodity to trade. Why? Would we need that in a BIGGER trade? LOL!
Robert is still here and in charge which means, no, we would not have had interest in trading for Murray. Until Sarver is gone I just can't see us willingly involving ourselves with any player or coach represented by Klutch Sports (Rich Paul).

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ayton is a much more versatile player than Gobert. I think Utah, unless they decide to send off Mitchell, will be a better team with DA

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is 10x the perimeter defender Gobert is though.
No that it isn’t a valuable skill but I doubt most teams value a centers permitter defense over the other skills you depend on at that position.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I check Youtube throughout the day for updates. Man the pundits sure do like reaching to find ANY team other than the Suns for KD to land. Its pathetic how the Lakers can give next to nothing for Kyrie but the Suns must gut all their picks and depth. If KD stated a Commifornia team as his destination then 2 picks and a scrub would suffice in the eyes of bias media

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
regarding someone's post on Reddit -- Durant's not "walking into" any realty office here or anywhere else

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least the Suns know he wont get to the FT line when they play him
Maybe. He certainly hasn't been able to so far. But I'm not convinced we pay enough attention to player development so we'll see what some other team gets out of him. He's still young enough to evolve considerably at both ends of the court.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some guy on sports radio this morning said that it came out that Durant does not have a trade veto clause. If that's true, he's not calling the shots on what team he ends up with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corkman