The Ayton Plan

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They really don't and might not unless they were bluffing about not wanting to pay him max. It may have been a bluff to get him for cheaper. Let's hope if this happens that they didn't permanently damage the relationship with Ayton. What worries me is the Monty relationship.

Monty will be gone the second Chris Paul is gone. I have no faith Monty can survive on his own

Unless you have a legit championship winning caliber coach you don’t choose him over talent in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right it’s something we did to ourselves. This whole thing was handled poorly it’s like this front office doesn’t look ahead at all.

Exactly. The Suns devalued Jalen Smith as well.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. The Suns devalued Jalen Smith as well.

The national media has been calling this for a year now. The second he didn’t that extension last year guys like Bill Simmons we’re all over it saying Sarver isn’t going to pay him.

James Jones made a comment about Stix saying he wasn’t going to beat out McGee so it was pointless to have him on the roster. MCGee was on a 1 year deal and is his mid 30s and you might trade Ayton

You don’t think this 22 year old on a good contract had some value going forward?

This front office is driving me crazy

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The national media has been calling this for a year now. The second he didn’t that extension last year guys like Bill Simmons we’re all over it saying Sarver isn’t going to pay him.

James Jones made a comment about Stix saying he wasn’t going to beat out McGee so it was pointless to have him on the roster. MCGee was on a 1 year deal and is his mid 30s and you might trade Ayton

You don’t think this 22 year old on a good contract had some value going forward?

This front office is driving me crazy

What happened with Stix didn't make any sense.

Then they trade him and a second round pick for Torrey Craig who has a year left on his contract. smh

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Then they trade him and a second round pick for Torrey Craig who has a year left on his contract. smh

It’s money

Look at this whole team. Paul is on his last fully guaranteed year, Shamet, Crowder, Saric, Craig are all about to be I think.

Cam Johnson is gonna want to get paid let’s see how that plays out but I can see him moved this offseason to

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It does make sense if you follow the team's pattern over the years and making money saving moves. Stix would have taken up cap space and put them further over when they signed him to an extension. IMO it was all about money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s money

Look at this whole team. Paul is on his last fully guaranteed year, Shamet, Crowder, Saric, Craig are all about to be I think.

Cam Johnson is gonna want to get paid let’s see how that plays out but I can see him moved this offseason to

The Suns didn't save much money if at all by trading for Torrey Craig.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It does make sense if you follow the team's pattern over the years and making money saving moves. Stix would have taken up cap space and put them further over when they signed him to an extension. IMO it was all about money.

But that’s the thing the money wouldn’t kick in until his current contract was up.

So you screwed yourself trying to trade an asset who’s on an expiring contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns turned around and traded Stix for Craig who has another year left on his contract. It's not good business.

Smith would have had positive trade value if they didn't want to keep him.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we do a sign and trade with Indiana, the max package we could get would be Turner, a young prospect like Isaiah Jackson and a pick. Hield in a larger trade could be possible if we sent out some contracts But Haliburton along with Duarte and Mathurin will be untouchable. We aren't getting any of those guys.

The whole trade will feel a lot like Joe Johnson part 2, but Turner is more proven than Diaw was and he would fit a need.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that’s the thing the money wouldn’t kick in until his current contract was up.

So you screwed yourself trying to trade an asset who’s on an expiring contract.
I think it was more the moderate term outlook. The Suns window with Paul is closing fast. He wasn't going to get a ton of playing time over other guys. It's just not how Monty and the Suns roll these days. If you look at the 9.6 million he got from the Pacers? That's still money they would have to pay him during the CP3 Window. The Suns would then have to worry about another extension after that with a guy likely not given a ton of playing time during that period.

I don't think the Suns were willing to shell out more money for an unproven young guy while in this window and pay more luxury tax. They would rather shuttle in veterans to round out the roster and take chances they can contribute if salary wise, they are up against it. If the Suns were way under the cap and not in a Window? It would be different.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns were willing to shell out more money for an unproven young guy while in this window and pay more luxury tax. They would rather shuttle in veterans to round out the roster and take chances they can contribute if salary wise, they are up against it. If the Suns were way under the cap and not in a Window? It would be different.

Then the Suns should have traded the pick or moved down in the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading this tweet, it sounds like the Pacers can't give Ayton an offer sheet until Saturday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading this tweet, it sounds like the Pacers can't give Ayton an offer sheet until Saturday.

So basically, we will know if Indiana/Ayton screws us in the next 48 hours (assuming the Suns are determined to move Ayton and needed him for trade assets in return) or if the Suns resign him and were bluffing all this time to get Ayton on the cheap.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Correct, they could only announce intent and engage in sign and trade negotiations.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, they could only announce intent and engage in sign and trade negotiations.
Unless they intend to sign him to an offer sheet. Then a sign and trade is off the table. They will wait for Saturday. Either way it sounds like we might find out what a major piece of the offseason puzzle looks like this weekend.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless they intend to sign him to an offer sheet. Then a sign and trade is off the table. They will wait for Saturday. Either way it sounds like we might find out what a major piece of the offseason puzzle looks like this weekend.
Reports say they are interested in an offer sheet or a sign and trade. They are likely to or have already engaged in a sign and trade discussion. If those break down they may just throw an offer sheet at him Saturday.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So basically, we will know if Indiana/Ayton screws us in the next 48 hours (assuming the Suns are determined to move Ayton and needed him for trade assets in return) or if the Suns resign him and were bluffing all this time to get Ayton on the cheap.

This has gone on too long already for my liking.

Myles Turner alone (expiring contract) doesn't do much for me in a sign-and-trade. The Pacers need to sweeten the deal.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if…now hear me out.

We trade DA for Turner and 3 1st

Then we trade
Utah gets:
5 1st
2 pick swaps
Cam Johnson
Jae Crowder(expiring)
Saric(expiring)
Craig(expiring)

Suns get:
Spida

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if…now hear me out.

Then we trade
Utah gets:
5 1st
2 pick swaps
Cam Johnson
Jae Crowder(expiring)
Saric(expiring)
Craig(expiring)

Suns get:
Spida

Then all those who dislike Donovan Mitchell will sound off.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if…now hear me out.

Then we trade
Utah gets:
5 1st
2 pick swaps
Cam Johnson
Jae Crowder(expiring)
Saric(expiring)
Craig(expiring)

Suns get:
Spida
Dude… what universe are you living in that Ayton gets us 3 first round picks alone, much less 3 firsts and Turner. That is not realistic for an RFA who’s door does seem to be being beaten down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard