The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After years of listening to EJ you should know. Never throw to the ball to a big man below his waste keep it high

And a big man shouldn’t put the ball on the floor in traffic. Keep it high
He has had trouble holding onto the ball after it making a move as well. He also has a bad habit of keeping it down low allowing other people to swipe at it. I remember EJ going off about how Ayton needs to learn to hold the ball up high or protect it until he is ready to shoot. Ayton definitely at times looks like he has hands of stone receiving passes as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker doesn't play to the point he sleeps just 1-3 hours a night during the regular season no matter what and says he can't live without them.

His own quotes are what make this so alarming

I realize Ayton plays a lot of video games but I don't take every word literally.

That's one of the reasons I posted an excerpt from the ESPN article where one can see the comments in context.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stories about him staying up all night or completely believable. He is 23. I have a son and daughter that do it too. They will be the first to tell you it takes a toll at work and college. Hell I did it at that age with my friends. It's part of the maturing process for Ayton. Take care of your body and get your damn sleep. It's very possible some of the perceived motivation issues are lack of energy. It's seems plausible to me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can’t get over we could of had Sabonis and now we might be trading his for a guy who plays 40 games a season and averages 7 rebounds.
It's not James Jones fault Ayton doesn't have more trade value. It's not James Jones fault many teams backed away from Ayton seemingly because his team won't except anything other than the max. Unless there are bunch of teams competing for Ayton? Maybe that's all we can expect. I am OK with Turner assuming we are not done moving pieces. If we can still get another PF/PG in here via trades? I am good with this move considering Ayton's perceived value across the league right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can’t get over we could of had Sabonis and now we might be trading his for a guy who plays 40 games a season and averages 7 rebounds.

IMO, Ayton is the better player.

We don't know what was on the table other than a report the Suns didn't want to trade Ayton because they didn't want to mess with team chemistry.

The Suns should still keep Ayton unless they get good value in return in a sign-and-trade.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Match it. No sign and trade for Turner
Ayton would have to want to play here still. The Suns have to be willing to match the offer. If it's max? Don't count on it unless the Suns have been bluffing all this time to see if they could parlay him into a huge return in a trade or try to resign him on the cheap. It's possible this was all a bluff on the Sun's part that didn't work out.

If Ayton doesn't want to be here? That wouldn't be good for anybody.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Pacers submit an offer sheet and Ayton signs it they have to match. A team shouldn't give away assets for next to nothing like they did with Jalen Smith.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Match it. No sign and trade for Turner
Was just about to say the same thing. I like Turner okay, but there's no one else (that the Pacers would be willing to part with) who's appealing. So if that's what it come down to, let the Pacers draw up the contract, then keep Ayton.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
I think the Suns should match and at worse, mostly run back the same team or if Durant does force his way out and we can finally get him for a decent price plus keep Ayton. But a man can dream.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have to match an offer sheet for Ayton. They put themselves there. Now they may have to live with it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Went back and read it. Didn't see anything there that contradicted the typical two hours of sleep a night statement.

This other quote stood out to me though:
Ayton believes he's the only NBA player to become a Legend. (In NBA2K)

I wish he had that goal in the real life NBA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I found the article from ESPN a bit contradictory. See parts in bold.

I don't think anyone can survive on two hours of sleep on a regular basis.

By Maya A. Jones, ESPN:

It's clear watching Ayton play NBA 2K on the big screen that he's a dedicated gamer. He says that family comes first for him -- as the father of a 1-year-old, Ayton always makes time for his son, Deandre Jr., and girlfriend, Anissa Evans. But then, every day, he'll settle down for several hours -- at least four or five -- to play NBA 2K. This is how Ayton reached Legend status, an achievement that occurs by reaching Level 40 for four seasons in the game. Ayton believes he's the only NBA player to become a Legend.

"I don't know how I did it this year because I got a child, but I did it," Ayton says.

Ayton typically wakes up around 6 a.m. after only getting about two hours of sleep. There's time for a quick round of gaming after eating breakfast, then he's off to practice. Then it's back home to finish talking trash and practicing moves on the virtual court. On game days, Ayton is focused, but that schedule still includes time for video games.

That right there is going to cost DA millions.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Was just about to say the same thing. I like Turner okay, but there's no one else (that the Pacers would be willing to part with) who's appealing. So if that's what it come down to, let the Pacers draw up the contract, then keep Ayton.

U of A fans: Is Mathurin legit? Depending on how badly the Pacers want Ayton, Turner and Mathurin could be the start of a good return package.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have to match an offer sheet for Ayton. They put themselves there. Now they may have to live with it.
They really don't and might not unless they were bluffing about not wanting to pay him max. It may have been a bluff to get him for cheaper. Let's hope if this happens that they didn't permanently damage the relationship with Ayton. What worries me is the Monty relationship.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They really don't and might not unless they were bluffing about not wanting to pay him max. It may have been a bluff to get him for cheaper. Let's hope if this happens that they didn't permanently damage the relationship with Ayton. What worries me is the Monty relationship.

The Suns literally don't have to match an offer sheet for Ayton but if they don't, that's a terrible way to do business... losing an asset for nothing.

Hopefully a sign-and-trade gets done if they don't keep him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose