The Ayton Plan

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concern is bigger with Murray.

The problem with DA is he’s very good not great when he has the talent to be great

Murray has just completely fallen off like I’ve never seen the last two years. It’s just so odd to me. It’s one thing to play bad or have a bad game but it’s like at the 10 game mark he’s just done.
From the outside looking in though the difference is, if you choose to, you can explain away Murray's late season performance on injuries to him and his key weapons. But DA's drastic swings in performance seem to be all on him.

On the surface DA's problems are fixable and his floor is livable even if he doesn't fix them but how often does someone really change their "head"? From what I've read he's about as addicted to video games as they come and I don't know if that can change. With Murray though, even if you keep his weapons healthy, his size and playing style make him a huge injury risk.

After typing all this I realize that I agree with you to an extent, my concern over Murray is greater. But that's mostly because it's going to be a lot more difficult to find a game changer QB (which Murray is when things are right) than it will be to replace a big man in a game that is no longer built around the man in the middle.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Omg if all suns can get is turner f that

I say now try to make work with da 1 more run with him ....

I really wanted kd but ughhhhh sadly with az luck in sports not looking great

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

24 years old, and probably our best player overall during the 2022 postseason.

I am genuinely shocked that there isn't more interest.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe there was more interest initially. The Suns may want a lot for Ayton as well.

There never were a lot of teams that could absorb Ayton's contract.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Salary cap. I mean as it stands only the Spurs and Indiana can offer him the 4 year max on an Offer sheet. There were a couple more teams initially, but they had other holes to fill. Once they did that, they didn't have the cap space either.

I put most of the blame on Ayton's camp. They made it clear that Max is the only offer they will accept. That alone chased teams away. Now factor in filling other holes? I am sure there are teams that simply said if that is the only thing they will accept then why bother. We can't afford him. Now for most teams it would require a complicated 3 way trade.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
interesting to weigh the implications of Ayton's video game addiction

is it more a minus in the trade equation
or a plus if you consider how much better he might have been, and might be, with his addiction under control and with more sleep and focus?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker plays video games and he does just fine.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Indiana can reverse-max an offer-sheet for Ayton where it starts at $35m next year then de-escalates. The old poison pill contracts where you can double the salary up front doesn’t exist anymore.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could somehow flip Ayton for Turner and 2 firsts… I’d be good with sending Bridges and 5 million firsts for KD.

CP3
Booker
Cam J
Durant
Turner

Cam Payne
Dario
Shamet
Biz
Whoever the hell else they could sign

That’s a team with a shot at the title. It’s also very long and athletic up front.

That’s also a team that would take a little while to figure itself out which would prob have the entire board in a tizzy for the first twenty games.
If we could get Miles Turner and some picks that we could parlay into another PG and PF deal somewhere? I could get behind this regardless of what happens with Durant. Especially, seeing how the market has valued Ayton to this point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker plays video games and he does just fine.
A lot of people play video games. A lot of people smoke marijuana. A lot of people drink alcohol. A lot of people drive fast. But not all people have a problem with video games, marijuana, alcohol or driving fast. Going just from what DA himself has said, it sure seems to me like he has a HUGE problem with video games. Even more so than Towns was reported to have with gaming.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns built a video game room for the players. All these guys are huge gamers they even travel with there games systems. Older guys don’t understand how much time this generation games. These tournaments fill up arenas now.

Welcome to 2022

What he describes is textbook addiction behaviors. In fact, it is a mental disorder according to the World Health Organization.

The WHO calls gaming addiction "a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behavior" so severe it "takes precedence over other life interests".

What else is possibly depressing his value?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From the outside looking in though the difference is, if you choose to, you can explain away Murray's late season performance on injuries to him and his key weapons. But DA's drastic swings in performance seem to be all on him.

On the surface DA's problems are fixable and his floor is livable even if he doesn't fix them but how often does someone really change their "head"? From what I've read he's about as addicted to video games as they come and I don't know if that can change. With Murray though, even if you keep his weapons healthy, his size and playing style make him a huge injury risk.

After typing all this I realize that I agree with you to an extent, my concern over Murray is greater. But that's mostly because it's going to be a lot more difficult to find a game changer QB (which Murray is when things are right) than it will be to replace a big man in a game that is no longer built around the man in the middle.

But DA doesn’t really have drastic swings anymore he’s pretty consistent.

Early DA was bad-good and I think he’s progressed to good-great now. If you look at his bag games it’s almost always chalked up to early foul trouble. He’s def trending in the right direction

In the playoffs Ayton has had some monster games and has played pretty good

The swings on Murray are alarming to me. One minute he looks like the best QB in the NFL and the next he looks like he doesn’t even belong in the league.

That playoff game was scary I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player look more scared than Murray he wanted no part of any of that. He plays scared in his biggest games.

Murray legit scares me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns built a video game room for the players. All these guys are huge gamers they even travel with there games systems. Older guys don’t understand how much time this generation games. These tournaments fill up arenas now.

Welcome to 2022

Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton playing video games goes way back. I think they both won some kind of video game championship a couple of years back.

We need to get off the topic.

See link below:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also you must really focus that no other player in the NBA plays games as much as Ayton. He prides himself on that status.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton playing video games goes way back. I think they both won some kind of video game championship a couple of years back.

We need to get off the topic.

See link below:

Devin Booker doesn't play to the point he sleeps just 1-3 hours a night during the regular season no matter what and says he can't live without them.

His own quotes are what make this so alarming

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also you must really focus that no other player in the NBA plays games as much as Ayton. He prides himself on that status.

Based on? Him saying some random comment? Did they take a poll?

I play pool and pinball ALOT and when I play I’m not focused on my work or responsibilities that’s why I play to relax.

Everyone has outlets. don’t you? Jordan would gamble and golf the same day as games. Win and no one cares lose and it’s a big deal

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What he describes is textbook addiction behaviors. In fact, it is a mental disorder according to the World Health Organization.

The WHO calls gaming addiction "a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behavior" so severe it "takes precedence over other life interests".

What else is possibly depressing his value?
Motivation issues, in ability to drive to the basket after four years, a big man who shies away from contact and last, asking for Max money when he good to very good at different things, but there’s not one thing he’s elite at.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on? Him saying some random comment? Did they take a poll?

I play pool and pinball ALOT and when I play I’m not focused on my work or responsibilities that’s why I play to relax.

Everyone has outlets. don’t you? Jordan would gamble and golf the same day as games. Win and no one cares lose and it’s a big deal

I absolutely have my outlets. My outlets don't subsume my basic every waking free time. That's called addiction.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Motivation issues, in ability to drive to the basket after four years, a big man who shies away from contact and last, asking for Max money when he good to very good at different things, but there’s not one thing he’s elite at.

Inability to consistently catch passes below the waist and getting stripped every time he brings the ball down below his waist.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I absolutely have my outlets. My outlets don't subsume my basic every waking free time. That's called addiction.

I literally play all day everyday- Joel Embiid.

Dude you are being way to literal. His play has clearly improved since coming into the league I think we can all agree. So he’s obviously been working on his game especially defensively.

Your acting like it’s consumed him and he’s ignoring his family and responsibilities.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I found the article from ESPN a bit contradictory. See parts in bold.

I don't think anyone can survive on two hours of sleep on a regular basis.

By Maya A. Jones, ESPN:

It's clear watching Ayton play NBA 2K on the big screen that he's a dedicated gamer. He says that family comes first for him -- as the father of a 1-year-old, Ayton always makes time for his son, Deandre Jr., and girlfriend, Anissa Evans. But then, every day, he'll settle down for several hours -- at least four or five -- to play NBA 2K. This is how Ayton reached Legend status, an achievement that occurs by reaching Level 40 for four seasons in the game. Ayton believes he's the only NBA player to become a Legend.

"I don't know how I did it this year because I got a child, but I did it," Ayton says.

Ayton typically wakes up around 6 a.m. after only getting about two hours of sleep. There's time for a quick round of gaming after eating breakfast, then he's off to practice. Then it's back home to finish talking trash and practicing moves on the virtual court. On game days, Ayton is focused, but that schedule still includes time for video games.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Inability to consistently catch passes below the waist and getting stripped every time he brings the ball down below his waist.

After years of listening to EJ you should know. Never throw to the ball to a big man below his waste keep it high

And a big man shouldn’t put the ball on the floor in traffic. Keep it high

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson