The Ayton Plan

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude… what universe are you living in that Ayton gets us 3 first round picks alone, much less 3 firsts and Turner. That is not realistic for an RFA who’s door does seem to be being beaten down.

We can only see

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude… what universe are you living in that Ayton gets us 3 first round picks alone, much less 3 firsts and Turner. That is not realistic for an RFA who’s door does seem to be being beaten down.
Yeah no way. I have not seen any legit trade scenarios where Ayton gets you that many first rounders plus a starter in return. Not unless you are talking a 3 way trade but straight up? No way. That's one short of the NBA max for 1st rounders and nobody has shown any signs of valuing Ayton that high. Only trades for Superstars get that many 1st rounders involved.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is right. Indiana seems content with their rebuild, but will happily move out Turner and change for a longer term fit in Ayton, but they aren't giving up 3 firsts. We'd be lucky to get Turner, Isaiah Jackson, and a protected pick.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah no way. I have not seen any legit trade scenarios where Ayton gets you that many first rounders plus a starter in return. Not unless you are talking a 3 way trade but straight up? No way. That's one short of the NBA max for 1st rounders and nobody has shown any signs of valuing Ayton that high. Only trades for Superstars get that many 1st rounders involved.

It is crazy when you consider the massive gulf in value between Ayton and Gobert. Gobert netted 4 picks and a swap plus filler contracts. I don't think the gap in talent or impact is that great.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is crazy when you consider the massive gulf in value between Ayton and Gobert. Gobert netted 4 picks and a swap plus filler contracts. I don't think the gap in talent or impact is that great.
I think many teams view Gobert's struggles in the playoffs an aberration and a product of the system. If you look at his accomplishments since he has come into this league? He is light years ahead of Ayton and considered proven. While Ayton is considered young, upcoming and inconsistent. My guess is teams place a higher value on veterans who have been there done that. I am just stunned how many teams have balked on Ayton.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
The Suns built a video game room for the players. All these guys are huge gamers they even travel with there games systems. Older guys don’t understand how much time this generation games. These tournaments fill up arenas now.

Welcome to 2022

They get college scholarships to major in this esports & get paid to play professionally to play in video game tournaments too.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think many teams view Gobert's struggles in the playoffs an aberration and a product of the system. If you look at his accomplishments since he has come into this league? He is light years ahead of Ayton and considered proven. While Ayton is considered young, upcoming and inconsistent. My guess is teams place a higher value on veterans who have been there done that. I am just stunned how many teams have balked on Ayton.
Also factor in Gobert is on a supermax making on average $41M per year.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
It’s money

Look at this whole team. Paul is on his last fully guaranteed year, Shamet, Crowder, Saric, Craig are all about to be I think.

Cam Johnson is gonna want to get paid let’s see how that plays out but I can see him moved this offseason to

I'm literally afraid of the Cam Johnson negotiations. Especially when they just let McGee walk.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It only takes one team. I wouldn't have traded Ayton for Gobert straight up.

Ayton's performance in the 2021 playoffs is so quickly forgotten.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm literally afraid of the Cam Johnson negotiations. Especially when they just let McGee walk.

The Mavericks may have overpaid for McGee not that I didn't want him back.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
U of A fans: Is Mathurin legit? Depending on how badly the Pacers want Ayton, Turner and Mathurin could be the start of a good return package.
I’d love to get Mathurin. I doubt they’d surrender him. Very athletic. Very talented. Can play with an edge. Needs work on defensive end of court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, 6.7 million per season after seeing him up close seems reasonable to me. If they get more minutes out of him, he stays healthy and productive seems like the right amount.

If the Suns had the money, sure. I'd rather spend it on a point guard if one becomes available.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I’d love to get Mathurin. I doubt they’d surrender him. Very athletic. Very talented. Can play with an edge. Needs work on defensive end of court.

What I'm wondering is, if the Pacers say "Turner and garbage" and the Suns say no, who blinks first. The Pacers have to know that they will not get Ayton by signing him outright.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What I'm wondering is, if the Pacers say "Turner and garbage" and the Suns say no, who blinks first. The Pacers have to know that they will not get Ayton by signing him outright.
That seems important here - either they're getting Ayton, or nothing. If Ayton truly wants to go there as well, there will have to be some concessions made.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
It only takes one team. I wouldn't have traded Ayton for Gobert straight up.

Ayton's performance in the 2021 playoffs is so quickly forgotten.
Although it's not done I always thought Indiana would go for Ayton. And why not?They (Indiana) have to keep from laughing when dealing with the Suns as in the past. Examples Jaden Smith & Tj Warren so why not go for Ayton.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns had the money, sure. I'd rather spend it on a point guard if one becomes available.
Sure if he was McGee playing for this team. However, on the open market? McGee is expected to possibly start. I would say that is a good contract for that role on that team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure if he was McGee playing for this team. However, on the open market? McGee is expected to possibly start. I would say that is a good contract for that role on that team.

I guess I do not view McGee as a starter. If he can get paid by Dallas, good for him.

I thought he would get more money from another team by comments he made after the season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what's being missed here is that "Turner and garbage" aren't really two seperate things, Myles in trade value isn't too far away from being garbage.

If Turner had any real value he'd already have been moved, they've reportedly been trying to trade him for quite awhile now. So I don't think Mathurin and Turner in return for a signed Ayton is overvaluing our asset. That's basically Ayton and Mathurin plus a short term rental of a middling big man that misses a lot of games. I don't know if that's equal value but it's not off by much either way IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take Ayton. They'd be superstars if they were both fully healthy and motivated, the edge would go to Zion though as he would likely be one of the favorites in the GOAT conversation. But Zion staying healthy is such a long shot and even inconsistent Ayton can beat out a 300+ pound Williamson.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
U of A fans: Is Mathurin legit? Depending on how badly the Pacers want Ayton, Turner and Mathurin could be the start of a good return package.
Mathurin is a legit three-way scorer and has all-star potential. He’d be great in return but I doubt he’d be in a DA package

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard