The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Aug 1, 2019.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

The Rockets were probably a CP3 hammy tear away from knocking off the most stacked team in history. A lot of legacies were impacted from it.

The Westbrook trade was a franchise crippler and Morey has to wear that but literally 25 teams would be nuts not to want him.

95pro likes this.
  2. Finito

Finito Registered

my point was that Pop pretty much invented load management for his veteran players.

I’m not going to question Greg Popovich. I don’t see anything wrong with resting guys on back to backs or taking them out when it’s a blowout.

3. Finito

Finito Registered

it’s crazy how so much of this comes down to a single moment and how those moments change history.

Hoop Head likes this.
  4. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

That’s what makes sports amazing and awful lol

Hoop Head likes this.
  5. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I agree. The Rockets future is very bleak but they had a long run of high caliber play and he swung a lot of impressive deals but out of desperation things turned into a real mess.

I'd be thrilled to have him run my team though, assuming he approaches his next job with the patience he showed early in his run in Houston.

6. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Horry shoving Nash.

Joe Johnson breaking his face.

Danny Manning tearing his ACL.

Yep...

Carolinacacti likes this.
  7. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Morey reached for it at the end but that's what a good GM does before the window closes... pull out all the stops and go for it.

I'd gladly take Morey as the Suns GM.

8. Finito

Finito Registered

I agree they had gone as far as they could and they made a big move. I’ll take him all day as long as Sarver lets him do his job

9. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

If Paul and Harden hated each other as much as it was reported then things were somewhat out of Morey's hands but even so, he sacrificed a lot of depth, all their size and half a decade of picks and in the end made the team worse. I get that they were trying to get over the hump but he really overplayed his hand.

I'd take him as our GM but he botched things at the end there. Their window could have stayed open a while longer, those moves slammed it shut.

10. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

The Chris Paul and Clint Capela trades were signs the end was near but I thought Morey was desperately trying to make one more run at a championship.

Maybe Morey was too loyal to trade James Harden to start a rebuild. If not, I think he could have quickly laid the foundation for a new team.

11. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Both trades, the Paul and the Capela trades were bad also. OKC got the better player out of the Paul/Westbrook swap and they got a boatload of picks to go with him. Of course at the time everyone thought Paul would be dealt again but he made the Thunder overachievers all year and helped Shai's development as well.

The Capela trade was to appease D'Antoni, I believe, and give him his dream of a Center-less roster. When it worked, it worked well but it was far from fool proof and was bound to crash and burn in a 7 game series so it was pretty bad overall. That trade made their roster unappealing for most big name coaches though. Serious work will need to be done to rebuild things there. They'll probably need to sell low on someone like Covington to get a roster that resembles a normal NBA team again.

12. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Last year he wasn’t out for load management. He was out INJURED. LeBron missed 17 straight games because he got INJURED on Xmas day when he popped his groin against GS and then came back, played every game until he got beat up again and reinjured the same groin injury, but they only shut him down at the end of the year when the Lakers were officially eliminated from the playoffs.

and the three seasons before that he played in 82/82 games, 76/82 games and 74/82.

13. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

who do you think is the best player in the league right now?

14. swagron

swagron Registered

Exactly correct. But Lebron haters don’t care about the details. They just look for a way to put the man down.

15. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

Arguably when we had Barkley the best player in the league was Jordan. But really not by a whole lot. You look at the numbers Barkley has put up in play off games and the guy is probably in the top ten all time of guys who did not win a title. I look back at that stats and timely buckets where he literally willed the Suns to victories on teams with less talent than opposing squads. Whether you liked his antics off the court or not, he could ball!

So arguably everyone is on Lebron's bandwagon because of the title win. But guys like Kawhi Leonard and Giannis Antetokounmpo, even Luka Doncic may be better players right now because of their youth and athleticism. They just weren't on a stacked Lakers team. Sometimes coaching comes into play too. Those Bulls, and San Antonio teams that won titles, how can you not say coaching was a major factor?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Hoop Head likes this.