The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

It about that time to start a new thread.

Once Patrick Patterson clears waivers he will likely sign with the Clippers.

Hoop Head likes this.
  2. Ronin

Ronin Registered

The Clippers are signing everybody.lol

Mainstreet likes this.
  3. Mainstreet

Bring on those minimum contracts!

Ronin likes this.
  4. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Do it!

5. Mainstreet

Landry Shamet withdraws from USA Basketball Select Team camp.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Clippers G Landry Shamet has withdrawn from USA Basketball Select Team camp, agent @GeorgeLangberg tells ESPN. “He was appreciative of the opportunity and hopes to be part of USAB again in future,” Langberg tells ESPN. Shamet's preparing for what could be deep LAC playoff run.

8:33 AM - 2 Aug 2019

6. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Mistake. Shamet would benefit. He is not going to be logging long minutes with the Clips.

Hoop Head likes this.
  7. Mainstreet

I agree but it seems to be the in-thing to opt out of Team USA events.

8. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Shamet must be the only person who thinks the Clippers will need him for a deep playoff run. Playing with Team USA would have prepared him for playing with a couple of stars. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Clippers. They could have the best perimeter defense the NBA has seen in decades. They have Patrick Beverly, Kawhi, and Paul George to really put pressure on people. They're a little weak in their frontcourt but when you have 2 legit DPOY candidates in Kawhi and George on the perimeter, you can be a little weak inside.

9. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

He's probably going to be their first wing player off the bench and we know Kawhi is going to take rest games like 20 times during the year. The NBA season is ridiculously long, I don't blame a guy for wanting to save himself during the off season.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  10. Hoop Head

I doubt he'll be their first wing off the bench because he's not really a wing, he's a combo guard and they still have Lou Williams, who has won the last 2 Sixth Man of the Year awards, and they also have Montrezl Harrell, who finished 3rd in Sixth Man voting last year. Having 2 players finish in the top 3 for Sixth Man is very unusual but it shows how Doc uses his bench and who he favors. With those guys returning, likely to the same role, and adding Mo Harkless, I can't see Shamet coming in sooner than 4th off the bench, maybe 3rd but even that isn't that vital.

I did forget all of the players they dealt for George, like Shai and Gallinari, but I can't see Doc struggling to fill their roles with their additions. They'll probably add another minimum player or two also since they're likely to be a favorite for a title and teams like that usually get their pick of veterans looking for minimum deals at the end of their career.

11. Hoop Head

Thought this was interesting. Porzingis has almost missed more time than Jordan did when he retired the first time. Knowing that, I'm a little surprised the Mavericks paid him max money right off the bat. He might have gotten that much from another team but the Mavericks could have matched if he did.

I wonder if passing on Nash because of injury concerns has caused Cuban to throw caution to the wind and just decided to pay people rather than let them walk if they have injury issues.

This was on Reddit, links in the quote...

Mainstreet likes this.
  12. Mainstreet

Draymond Green signs an extension with the Warriors for 4 years/ $100 million.

I guess the Warriors are trying to remain a contender but that's a lot of money for Green whose production dropped last season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27314349/green-warriors-reach-four-year-max-extension

13. Yuma

Yuma Passed my 90 days! Thanks BigRedRage!

I am surprised it was that low. I figured Green was going to back up the truck, especially when they REALLY need him this off season. Their bigs have gotten less productive lately since some guys left, imho. They need some help, and Green has to bridge that gap until they get some guys.

14. Mainstreet

I'm thinking Porzingis was a bargain if healthy. They have built their team around Doncic and Porzingis.

If Porzingis does not return to health they are in trouble but looking back they didn't have to give up that much to get him.

In today's market, Dennis Smith Jr., DeAndre Jordan, Wesley Matthews and two first round picks is not that much to trade for a potential star.

15. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Good for Draymond.