"That One Movie"

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I think we all have "that one movie" that, whilst channel surfing on the TV, when we come across it we stop and watch it. For one reason, or another, there's something about that film (or in some cases, films) that immediately sucks you into watching without you realizing it.

One that comes to mind for me is the Tom Hanks vehicle "The Man with One Red Shoe". Invariably, when I come across it (typically mid-movie) I stop and I'm instantly engrossed in it. I'll start quoting the dialogue, laughing at the jokes and situations all along the way.

My wife will tell me "You know, we own that in DVD? Why not just put it in?" But for some reason it seems like a waste to break the moment, get up, and put it in to watch from start to finish. I don't know why either. Maybe it's because I'm so familiar with it that I've committed it to memory. I just can't say.

It terms of why this film, I have a tough time explaining that too. Maybe it's a nostalgia factor; it reminds me of a different, simpler, time in my life when my only responsibility was school work, playing sports, and getting stoned. Maybe it's because, for the most part, when me and my friends watched the hell of it, all the friends and family I've lost (by death or just distance and time) over the years were still alive and kicking and playing a role in my life, and it allows me a brief escape back to that time in my life that I can look back on with a smile. I dunno. :shrug:

Any whoo, what's your "one movie" that'll stop you in your tracks amidst a TV channel surf?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Shawshank is definitely #1 on this list for me. When I had cable I'd watch it (or just have it on as noise) at least once a month on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Seemed to always be on TNT, I believe.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we all have "that one movie" that, whilst channel surfing on the TV, when we come across it we stop and watch it. For one reason, or another, there's something about that film (or in some cases, films) that immediately sucks you into watching without you realizing it.

One that comes to mind for me is the Tom Hanks vehicle "The Man with One Red Shoe". Invariably, when I come across it (typically mid-movie) I stop and I'm instantly engrossed in it. I'll start quoting the dialogue, laughing at the jokes and situations all along the way.

My wife will tell me "You know, we own that in DVD? Why not just put it in?" But for some reason it seems like a waste to break the moment, get up, and put it in to watch from start to finish. I don't know why either. Maybe it's because I'm so familiar with it that I've committed it to memory. I just can't say.

It terms of why this film, I have a tough time explaining that too. Maybe it's a nostalgia factor; it reminds me of a different, simpler, time in my life when my only responsibility was school work, playing sports, and getting stoned. Maybe it's because, for the most part, when me and my friends watched the hell of it, all the friends and family I've lost (by death or just distance and time) over the years were still alive and kicking and playing a role in my life, and it allows me a brief escape back to that time in my life that I can look back on with a smile. I dunno. :shrug:

Any whoo, what's your "one movie" that'll stop you in your tracks amidst a TV channel surf?

I have many and Man with One Red Shoe is one of them. Same with I Love You to Death, Tremors and for some strange reason, Memoirs of an Invisible Man.

Steve

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Tombstone
Shawshank
Braveheart
The Bourne Trilogy

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool Hand Luke, The Graduate, Godfather I and II, and the Lord of the Rings Series

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Star Wars original trilogy
The Dark Knight
Serenity
And for some reason, Love Actually

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shawshank is definitely #1 on this list for me. When I had cable I'd watch it (or just have it on as noise) at least once a month on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Seemed to always be on TNT, I believe.

Yup, Shawshank is the best. I've seen it like 20 times. You know a movie is good when you have it on DVD but still watch it when it comes on TV.

The novella is also really good - it is in Stephen King's "Different Seasons".

I need to kindle it and re-read. 2 other of the novellas made the big screen as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, Shawshank is the best. I've seen it like 20 times. You know a movie is good when you have it on DVD but still watch it when it comes on TV.

The novella is also really good - it is in Stephen King's "Different Seasons".

I need to kindle it and re-read. 2 other of the novellas made the big screen as well.

I'm surprised so many people named Shawshank. I like the movie a lot but only when the mood strikes me. It's not at all the kind of movie I can watch in any mood nor is it a movie I like to just watch a portion of. I've re-watched it often but only when I'm prepared to view it start to finish.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn