Team Strengths

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I have different expectations. I hold both guys to the expectation of "can you start in the NFL" not "are you the best option on a roster that is uninterested in winning." I expect Dobbs to start because I'd guess that the best way for Gannon to lose the locker room is to make guys competing for a contract both lose and get airballed third down passes from a rookie fifth-round pick.
So you're a Dobbs guy

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could change, but I see Gardeck, Ojulari, Sanders, Thomas, and Collins as all above-replacement-level players. None of them are good starters, and Gardeck is 29, but all of those guys would make an edge rotation in the NFL. Add in replacement-level players in Dimukeje and Luketa if they make a roster and that's a solid room.

None of those ILBs impress me much. They're all about replacement level, and White and Woods are unlikely to be on the next Cards playoff team. It doesn't matter, because off-ball linebacker is not an important position.

Yeah I agree they are at least quality rotational guys but none are proven starters.

White was at least a starter on a Super Bowl caliber defense. But yeah it's not a premium position on the defense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah I agree they are at least quality rotational guys but none are proven starters.

White was at least a starter on a Super Bowl caliber defense. But yeah it's not a premium position on the defense.
The Dexter Jackson of the 2022 Eagles, as it were.

*spot starter

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This could change, but I see Gardeck, Ojulari, Sanders, Thomas, and Collins as all above-replacement-level players. None of them are good starters, and Gardeck is 29, but all of those guys would make an edge rotation in the NFL. Add in replacement-level players in Dimukeje and Luketa if they make a roster and that's a solid room.

None of those ILBs impress me much. They're all about replacement level, and White and Woods are unlikely to be on the next Cards playoff team. It doesn't matter, because off-ball linebacker is not an important position.

I have different expectations. I hold both guys to the expectation of "can you start in the NFL" not "are you the best option on a roster that is uninterested in winning." I expect Dobbs to start because I'd guess that the best way for Gannon to lose the locker room is to make guys competing for a contract both lose and get airballed third down passes from a rookie fifth-round pick.
Hard, hard disagree on Gardeck. We have no idea on Ojulari, especially coming off injury, but we do have hope as he was drafted high. Sanders and Thomas? Promising, but right now just JAGs. Collins? Nah.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry, I agree with your assessment, but would like to add one unit, ILB's. And, I add it with the caveat that I've only seen them play in PS games. But White, Barnes and Woods all seem like good tacklers, and when beaten in pass coverage, they weren't beaten badly. And, White who is supposed to be the best, didn't play very much. Pappoe, hasn't done much, he does have skills which will allow him to play ST's, while (hopefully) learning the NFL game. I also like the potential of Kyle Soelle, who is probably PS bound.
When you say that the RB's don't have a home run hitter, very true, I'm hoping that can be turned into a positive. Their strength, fingers crossed, should be moving the chains. That way they keep the offense on the field and the defense off it.
Another unit I'm hopeful about is the OL. The starters look solid, but they must remain healthy. And if Gaines and Daley are out for an extended period, depth will be a problem. And it would be nice if Hayes has to play that he is able to play penalty free.
Bottom line, it looks like a tough year (W/L), but there might be some bright spots.
It’s certainly possible the ILBs will be a strength. White plays hard nose football and Woods knows how to fill a gap. Barnes was hard for me to get a firm view about potential. I thought they needed to get a great deal better playing zone. With Washington loving to throw short between the numbers, they’d better get that fixed. Pappoe is an excellent athlete who dropped because he can’t tackle. He’s a project.

The O-line scares me. I like the OTs. The OGs need to make some second level blocks and create better running holes. My main concern is C. Froholdt will have to call the line adjustments and if Tune plays it puts significantly more pressure on him. There is no depth. We’ll know much more after a real game.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
The crossing routes Tune was able to hit on is very encouraging and could turn into big plays.
I think we are all going to clamour for big plays or big play attempts which I believe will be few, especially early.
Gannon seems intelligent enough to do everything he can to protect his qb. He will be persistently attempt to run the ball and control the clock.
We will have to be very good in the red zone to stay competitive.
I’m not expecting anything shocking. It will be refreshing to see football instead of the circus show we witnessed the last few years.
One other thing, I think we are going to blitz a lot more than we saw in preseason.
With short receivers it‘s critical to be accurate on crossing routes. It’s easier for those receivers to open a throwing lane while crossing. Out routes make it easier for decent coverage to shield short receivers.

I hope part of protecting the QB is to sometimes keep in a RB. I completely agree that I expect numerous blitzes. The tackling must improve to close the deal. I’m worried that in the last 2 games the Cards couldn’t pressure the passer against the first string.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Some are predicting Sanders will get let go, a terrible mistake if it happens.