Team Strengths

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I already indicated elsewhere that I think the special teams are solid, especially if they keep K Davis on returns.

I actually think the receiving corps may be fine if Tune plays. Tune hits guys in stride and this group has good YAC potential. There’s no major deep threat but a couple of guys look good in the 20-30 yard range. Several solid, though small, possession receivers are a major plus for a young QB. Wilson will be needed in the red zone if he’s the real deal. There are several questions that can only be answered once the game plan is on display, but I’m hopeful.

Tight End should be productive at least as possession guys in the passing game. McBride’s improvement is critical. They must also block effectively.

I think the RBs will be okay, but they lack a breakaway runner. They fight for yardage and should at least keep the defense honest and the attack balanced. They all seem okay as safety valves.

This offense will go as far as the line lets it. If the line plays well, they should score a reasonable number of points.

On defense the only quality unit appears to be the safeties. They offer good run support and adequate pass defense. The depth is scary.

Sadly I think the defense is so weak, the offense will typically be unable to score enough points to win many games. However, it is a good sign that the offense offers enough to build upon for the future. A couple of the right key pieces could be enough to turn this into a very productive unit.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, I agree with your assessment, but would like to add one unit, ILB's. And, I add it with the caveat that I've only seen them play in PS games. But White, Barnes and Woods all seem like good tacklers, and when beaten in pass coverage, they weren't beaten badly. And, White who is supposed to be the best, didn't play very much. Pappoe, hasn't done much, he does have skills which will allow him to play ST's, while (hopefully) learning the NFL game. I also like the potential of Kyle Soelle, who is probably PS bound.
When you say that the RB's don't have a home run hitter, very true, I'm hoping that can be turned into a positive. Their strength, fingers crossed, should be moving the chains. That way they keep the offense on the field and the defense off it.
Another unit I'm hopeful about is the OL. The starters look solid, but they must remain healthy. And if Gaines and Daley are out for an extended period, depth will be a problem. And it would be nice if Hayes has to play that he is able to play penalty free.
Bottom line, it looks like a tough year (W/L), but there might be some bright spots.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For as long as I have watched this franchise (1963), DEPTH has always been the problem. It may not be apparent in year 1, but building depth will be high on MO’s list of processes moving forward. We already see that with the minimum of 12 picks in the next draft. To me, JG wants to build this team similar to how the Eagles did after the 2020 team that went 4-11-1. The 2021 Eagles started 2-5, had a D that wasn’t talented, and allowed the offense with a strong running game to get them to 9-8 and a playoff berth. It was 2022 when they added talent and depth to the D, and we all know what came next. Right now, we can only hope the Cardinals can follow that script.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crossing routes Tune was able to hit on is very encouraging and could turn into big plays.
I think we are all going to clamour for big plays or big play attempts which I believe will be few, especially early.
Gannon seems intelligent enough to do everything he can to protect his qb. He will be persistently attempt to run the ball and control the clock.
We will have to be very good in the red zone to stay competitive.
I’m not expecting anything shocking. It will be refreshing to see football instead of the circus show we witnessed the last few years.
One other thing, I think we are going to blitz a lot more than we saw in preseason.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The crossing routes Tune was able to hit on is very encouraging and could turn into big plays.
I think we are all going to clamour for big plays or big play attempts which I believe will be few, especially early.
Gannon seems intelligent enough to do everything he can to protect his qb. He will be persistently attempt to run the ball and control the clock.
We will have to be very good in the red zone to stay competitive.
I’m not expecting anything shocking. It will be refreshing to see football instead of the circus show we witnessed the last few years.
One other thing, I think we are going to blitz a lot more than we saw in preseason.
I agree 100%. I also expect our QB’s to use their legs in this offense. And that will include Murray when he returns. Probably why the Cardinals are keeping him on the PUP to be absolutely sure he’s 100% ready to run this offense. With Colt gone, all of our QB’s can create chaos with their legs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I actually think we have great edge depth, just lacking a top-end starter.

Harry’s love affair with Clayton Tune is absolutely mystifying.
I agree with EDGE being a strength. I also think the OL will be more of a strength than they will get credit for. The OL is in a tough position due to the QB situation which will definitely make them look worse than they are early on.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree with EDGE being a strength. I also think the OL will be more of a strength than they will get credit for. The OL is in a tough position due to the QB situation which will definitely make them look worse than they are early on.
I think they’ll make each other look worse but also I fear the OL room has four players above replacement level and one of them is Kelvin Beachum. Maybe having six replacement level OL is actually an improvement but ick.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On defense the only quality unit appears to be the safeties. They offer good run support and adequate pass defense. The depth is scary.

I was actually impressed with Kazir White at ILB in the hand full of snaps that he played against KC. But yeah aside from those 3 players it's just a bunch of unproven guys or cast offs from other teams. I'm very concerned about CB.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How is edge an actual strength? We may have depth there, but not top-end depth and certainly not two solid edge starters. Yet--some might develop. Relying on Ojulari at this point would be silly. He might not be ready for significant contributions for quite some time.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
How is edge an actual strength? We may have depth there, but not top-end depth and certainly not two solid edge starters. Yet--some might develop. Relying on Ojulari at this point would be silly. He might not be ready for significant contributions for quite some time.

Agreed.

We have a lot of draft picks there but can't say there is actual "quality" depth yet. Still unproven IMO.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I don't see Edge as a strength at all. I actually think ILB is more of a strength with White, Barnes and Woods.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I actually think we have great edge depth, just lacking a top-end starter.

Harry’s love affair with Clayton Tune is absolutely mystifying.
You realize it's a choice between Tune and Dobbs, yes? Are you going with Dobbs?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It does not stop there, let us check another write up...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Buckle up homers, it will be rocky.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I think the defense will surprise people with a scheme that's multiple and adaptive. And that players will play hard for these coaches.

That would be impressive, especially when your two best players (arguably) are safeties.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see Edge as a strength at all. I actually think ILB is more of a strength with White, Barnes and Woods.

This could change, but I see Gardeck, Ojulari, Sanders, Thomas, and Collins as all above-replacement-level players. None of them are good starters, and Gardeck is 29, but all of those guys would make an edge rotation in the NFL. Add in replacement-level players in Dimukeje and Luketa if they make a roster and that's a solid room.

None of those ILBs impress me much. They're all about replacement level, and White and Woods are unlikely to be on the next Cards playoff team. It doesn't matter, because off-ball linebacker is not an important position.

You realize it's a choice between Tune and Dobbs, yes? Are you going with Dobbs?

I have different expectations. I hold both guys to the expectation of "can you start in the NFL" not "are you the best option on a roster that is uninterested in winning." I expect Dobbs to start because I'd guess that the best way for Gannon to lose the locker room is to make guys competing for a contract both lose and get airballed third down passes from a rookie fifth-round pick.