Suposed "expert" Vinnie Iyer on Free Agency

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
How are thses guys considered "experts" when I would wager to say that the majority of people on this board know as much or more about the league than some of these clowns?

"spreading their spending would have made more sense"

Um...hello, we've signed what seven, eight new guys?

I hope we start winning soon so that these guys might actually have to do some homework when writing about the Cards.

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/vinnie_iyer/20030328.html

by Vinnie Iyer

Free-agency report card: 5 teams that did the worst

March 28, 2003 Print it

With more than half of Sporting News' top 100 free agents signed, last week I gave my take on the five teams that have made the best free-agent moves to date.

Before I take a look at the five teams doing the least impressive moving and shaking, many of you wrote that I should have included Buffalo among the five best.

I've grouped the Bills in limbo -- with 22 other teams that are neither the best nor worst -- because although they boosted their defense with the acquisitions of Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey, Sam Adams and Izell Reese, there are now new questions about their offense, as Josh Reed and Bobby Shaw must make up for what Peerless Price, Jay Riemersma and Larry Centers contributed to the passing game.

The Bills certainly are closer to the top five and are far away from the following teams in the bottom five:

1. Cardinals. OK, they decided to start over at two key positions by letting QB Jake Plummer, WRs David Boston and MarTay Jenkins go, but where's the youth movement? Jeff Blake and Emmitt Smith would be nice additions for a veteran club, but at 32 and 33 respectively, they don't fit the long-term mix.

Following former Ravens cornerback Duane Starks' lead, Super Bowl MVP safety Dexter Jackson went for desert bucks with the ring already in hand. Jackson is only 25, and should be a solid contributor, but considering the Cards had holes in many places, spreading their spending would have made more sense.

2. Lions. They spent far too much on cornerback Dre' Bly, like they did last year in locking up another former Ram, Az-Zahir Hakim. They also have a void at middle linebacker with Chris Claiborne leaving for division rival Minnesota. They will likely need a great draft (Charles Rogers?) if they are to show marked improvement in Steve Mariucci's first season.

3. Eagles. Adding fullback Jon Ritchie gives their offense versatility, but losing Hugh Douglas, Shawn Barber and Barry Gardner and choosing not to retain Levon Kirkland leaves their defense hurting. To boot, veteran special teamer Brian Mitchell signed with the archrival Giants.

4. Bengals. No "worst" list can be made without this team. Yes, they put better bodies on Marvin Lewis' defense in Carl Powell, John Thornton, Kevin Hardy and Tory James, but none of them are big-impact players. Losing Spikes and young starting safety Cory Hall hurt the turnover.

Letting Gus Frerotte go was fine, because Jon Kitna played well enough to win games down the stretch last season. That's why it's puzzling they are locked into Carson Palmer with their first overall draft pick. Even though Palmer might be the best prospect on the board, Terrell Suggs would provide the immediate impact on Lewis' revamped unit.

5. Dolphins. Put an asterisk by them. They have done nothing of note so far, but look for them to make some huge splashes after the June 1 cut date. It's still shocking they didn't make the playoffs last year, so obviously a dominant running back wasn't their final championship piece. Another fired-up veteran defensive leader and a more established quarterback would be ideal -- and they could arrive in the form of Junior Seau and Brian Griese.

gnomepete

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaliforniaCard
where's the youth movement? Jeff Blake and Emmitt Smith would be nice additions for a veteran club

Is he SERIOUS? The Cards are among the youngest of teams. I thought a couple of veterans was to help make the mix a bit OLDER in the short run and do other things in the long run.

It is truly AMAZING how little most writers know about the team.

Pete

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Mr. Iyer

I shot vinnie an e-mail saying about the same thing everyone has mentioned:

Enjoyed your article on the best 5 and agree with your assessment.

Disagree on your assessment of the Cards as the worst for these reasons. You yourself said they should have spread their resources and acquired more players....they did and are still in the Vonnie Holliday picture. Remember what the Pats did with a bunch of middle FA's....the Cards along with Blake-Jackson-Emmitt Smith picked up FB Hodgins (St.L)...OL's Spikes (Texans) and Garcia (St.L)...and LBer Darling (Jets). All started some last year and bring their own something extra to the Cards. The Cards have always had depth problems and fade away because of injuries. That won't happen this year.

Thanks for listening and keep churning out those football articles.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Vinnie I., but I was watching SportsReporters II Thursday night and they were discussing Emmitt and the end of the show and Trey Wingo said he didn't understand why Emmitt signed with the Cards and he rattled off losing Jake and an inexperienced WR corp and he then blasted the Oline saying how bad it is. I plan on emailing him just to try and enlighten him on the Cards Oline.