Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If You can’t see how adding a third shot creator would help the offense, there’s literally nothing to talk about. That’s a ridiculous statement for a team that repeatedly ends up living snd dying by the three. The ability tu have another guy attack the basket means more FTs, getting other teams in foul trouble and the ability to adjust if threes aren’t falling. And no ones talking about making him go ISO. That’s a stupid projected straw man argument I never made. I’m talking about merely a guy who can go at defenses on close outs instead of his one dribble and stop, killing the offensive possession.

I mean did you already forget what happened in the Finals? because Paul wasn’t 100%, the offense completely bogged down because Booker was the only one who could consistently get his own shot and Bridges was TOTALLY shut down on offense.

The reality is that Almost all The best teams in the league/title winners in recent memory had at least three guys that were good to great offense creators or they had the two most elite in the game. We have two very good players who do that, but neither of which are at the Curry/LeBron/KD/Giannis level, able to completely dominate games. We’re built in more of an overall team vibe, but to win that means you need more shot creators.
I said it would make him a more rounded player as well. I said, if you are telling me a guy shooting over 80% at the rim and over 70% last year would get better quality shots than those that is nuts. He simply is creating high percentage easy buckets that he otherwise wouldn't get even if he could create his own shot IMO. Could that skill open up the offense? OK, I will buy that. I can't buy that the Suns would get as many easy buckets at the rim at the same clip they are getting and at that high of a percentage. The league average isn't even as high as what he is doing right now. He finished elite last season and way above the league average.

I do remember the playoffs. The team was banged up in multiple ways. In that scenario I agree with you it could have helped. Again, I am not denying that him being a better creator couldn't help open up other aspects of the team. I am saying that even if he could? No way he matches what he did last year or at the clip he is on this year specifically at the rim. He would likely be trading those cuts for other types of possessions where he creates. You have to have the ball in his hand to create his own shot. Those possessions have to come from somewhere. I mean maybe he could get all the way to the bucket just as easy as those cuts? I doubt it.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I said it would make him a more rounded player as well. I said, if you are telling me a guy shooting over 80% at the rim and over 70% last year would get better quality shots than those that is nuts. He simply is creating high percentage easy buckets that he otherwise wouldn't get even if he could create his own shot IMO. Could that skill open up the offense? OK, I will buy that. I can't buy that the Suns would get as many easy buckets at the rim at the same clip they are getting and at that high of a percentage. The league average isn't even as high as what he is doing right now. He finished elite last season and way above the league average.

I do remember the playoffs. The team was banged up in multiple ways. In that scenario I agree with you it could have helped. Again, I am not denying that him being a better creator couldn't help open up other aspects of the team. I am saying that even if he could? No way he matches what he did last year or at the clip he is on this year specifically at the rim. He would likely be trading those cuts for other types of possessions where he creates. You have to have the ball in his hand to create his own shot. Those possessions have to come from somewhere. I mean maybe he could get all the way to the bucket just as easy as those cuts? I doubt it.
While I generally agree with what your saying, I think the point is when he does catch the ball and either gets cut off from the rim or closed out on at the three point line it would be extremely valuable if he could still make the defense pay. What he currently is offensively is ultimately limiting his output because a team only has to deny his initial opportunity in order to shut him down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I generally agree with what your saying, I think the point is when he does catch the ball and either gets cut off from the rim or closed out on at the three point line it would be extremely valuable if he could still make the defense pay. What he currently is offensively is ultimately limiting his output because a team only has to deny his initial opportunity in order to shut him down.

Bingo.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fair but the fact he has been elite at the rim last season and this season means most of the time he is not getting cut off. Teams, even without Mikel having that skill, have not been able to slow him down consistently. He isn't going to get much more efficient there. I do agree with what Cheese said though. Having another playmaker when the team is shorthanded or struggling could definitely help. It's a valid point.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ayton fastest Sun ever to 100 double doubles
After looking at where he ranks against peers and all time? This doesn't shock me.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If You can’t see how adding a third shot creator would help the offense, there’s literally nothing to talk about. That’s a ridiculous statement for a team that repeatedly ends up living snd dying by the three. The ability tu have another guy attack the basket means more FTs, getting other teams in foul trouble and the ability to adjust if threes aren’t falling. And no ones talking about making him go ISO. That’s a stupid projected straw man argument I never made. I’m talking about merely a guy who can go at defenses on close outs instead of his one dribble and stop, killing the offensive possession.

I mean did you already forget what happened in the Finals? because Paul wasn’t 100%, the offense completely bogged down because Booker was the only one who could consistently get his own shot and Bridges was TOTALLY shut down on offense.

The reality is that Almost all The best teams in the league/title winners in recent memory had at least three guys that were good to great offense creators or they had the two most elite in the game. We have two very good players who do that, but neither of which are at the Curry/LeBron/KD/Giannis level, able to completely dominate games. We’re built in more of an overall team vibe, but to win that means you need more shot creators.
The only thing I’d take issue with is us living and dying by the 3. We shoot a lot of midrange shots because of CP and Book and Monty has said he wants us somewhere in the 30’s for 3 point attempts. Some teams shoot 40-50 a game nowadays. But yes, Bridges being able to pull the ball on the floor on a close out would open up shots for DA in the paint as well as even getting Book some open looks and not having to hit ridiculously tough shots

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fair but the fact he has been elite at the rim last season and this season means most of the time he is not getting cut off. Teams, even without Mikel having that skill, have not been able to slow him down consistently. He isn't going to get much more efficient there. I do agree with what Cheese said though. Having another playmaker when the team is shorthanded or struggling could definitely help. It's a valid point.

Oh my god. Come on. He’s scoring layups and dunks when he’s fed RIGHT AT THE BASKET or on the fast break. He’s not creating those opportunities off the dribble.

Jesus. And you were accusing Chap of specious arguments.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my god. Come on. He’s scoring layups and dunks when he’s fed RIGHT AT THE BASKET or on the fast break. He’s not creating those opportunities off the dribble.

Jesus. And you were accusing Chap of specious arguments.
Huh? Thanks for making my point. How do you get more efficient than the clear path to the basket shots he is getting at the rim now?!? I guess you are saying his numbers would be even better and he would be getting more easy buckets. I think he would be tempted to dribble and create trading in some of those easy buckets.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
His elite numbers at the rim are only including the times that he shot the ball. You won't see anything about him catching the ball and having to throw it back to the perimeter in those numbers.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheese Stop complaining enjoin the wins

I am enjoying the wins. Doesn’t mean I’m just going to be whistling zippidy do-dah up people’s buttholes on this board because there are still issues on this team that might hold it back from winning the whole enchilada.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am enjoying the wins. Doesn’t mean I’m just going to be whistling zippidy do-dah up people’s buttholes on this board because there are still issues on this team that might hold it back from winning the whole enchilada.
I feel similar about Luka not playing. I will enjoy the wins no matter what but I want to see real tests as the team goes through the season so we can gauge where they are really at.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel similar about Luka not playing. I will enjoy the wins no matter what but I want to see real tests as the team goes through the season so we can gauge where they are really at.

We might also want to be careful what we wish for. We’ve got GS coming up three times in three weeks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me it's all about getting the wins because standings matter.

Besides the Suns have a brutal schedule coming up. Also they are not going to sidestep any good teams. It's where the team is at the end of the season that matters.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing to see how clutch Booker and Paul have been. It's easy to overlook Booker because so much is expected of him.

This is where those close wins are coming from.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xmas day is chock full of Phoenix Sports. Cards v. Colts and Suns v. Warriors, one game following the other.

That's going to be amazing with the Suns and Cardinals playing back-to-back games. I better treat the family especially nice beforehand.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing to see how clutch Booker and Paul have been. It's easy to overlook Booker because so much is expected of him.

This is where those close wins are coming from.

That's great but now we need to see if that's primarily a result of playing mostly inferior teams or if our guard duo is truly among the clutch elite.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great but now we need to see if that's primarily a result of playing mostly inferior teams or if our guard duo is truly among the clutch elite.

Although the Suns seemed to have trouble with the worst teams last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson