Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Love it.

Contrast that with the Laker team I watched get smoked last night, half those guys seem to actively despise each-other.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

loving Devin's rebounding numbers. Now if Bridges can bump his pathetic rebounding numbers up a bit, that would make me even happier.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
loving Devin's rebounding numbers. Now if Bridges can bump his pathetic rebounding numbers up a bit, that would make me even happier.

I don't suspect he'll ever give much more than 4-5 rebounds a game. I want to see him quit disappearing offensively more than anything. His shooting % and scoring were up last I checked but now his 3pt shooting has dropped some and his scoring is only up 0.5 points a game, which isn't enough to consider real improvement.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't suspect he'll ever give much more than 4-5 rebounds a game. I want to see him quit disappearing offensively more than anything. His shooting % and scoring were up last I checked but now his 3pt shooting has dropped some and his scoring is only up 0.5 points a game, which isn't enough to consider real improvement.

He hasn’t added anything to his offensive game since the beginning of last year. It’s disappointing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He hasn’t added anything to his offensive game since the beginning of last year. It’s disappointing.
He dropped off a bit but he was the 2nd best scorer for a bit. He still leads the team in 3PT FG% and 4th overall in 2PT FG%. I hope he evens out a bit and like you said hits the boards a little more.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He dropped off a bit but he was the 2nd best scorer for a bit. He still leads the team in 3PT FG% and 4th overall in 2PT FG%. I hope he evens out a bit and like you said hits the boards a little more.

His numbers are pretty much EXACTLY the same and worse than that so is his game. His handles and ability to create remain dormant, completely dependent on others to set him up.

Sorry but that kinda sucks for a guy making 22.5 mill per.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
His numbers are pretty much EXACTLY the same and worse than that so is his game. His handles and ability to create remain dormant, completely dependent on others to set him up.

His versatility on defense makes him worth that

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His versatility on defense makes him worth that

no it doesn't. he's a very good defender, but he's not elite, IMO and the lack of ALL-NBA honors supports me there.

and contract or not, it's disappointing that he still hasn't worked on his handles and ability to get to the hoop as a lottery pick. this team only stays good in the long-term if our young guys actually grow and get better. he's at a standstill basically since the bubble.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
no it doesn't. he's a very good defender, but he's not elite, IMO and the lack of ALL-NBA honors supports me there.

and contract or not, it's disappointing that he still hasn't worked on his handles and ability to get to the hoop as a lottery pick. this team only stays good in the long-term if our young guys actually grow and get better. he's at a standstill basically since the bubble.
Well, he's only been in the league for 4 years, but he certainly passes the eye test for elite defender, even if he doesn't have the All-NBA honor yet. Book was an all-star calibre player well before he actually made it (and he was an injury sub on top of it). Does that make him any less deserving of the max contract he got?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most of his shots are assisted and that true but that doesn't tell the entire story. He is one of the best cutters in the league. Most of his shots are around the basket (53.1%). His FG% at the rim is 80.9% while the league average is 57.5%. Shooting that clip, at the rim, assisted or not is unheard of for a player not considered a big. Before anybody says it's a fluke? Last season, Bridges finished 72% at the rim, which is elite for an NBA wing.

That means he is moving great without the ball and creating easy scoring opportunities. I can't see how him creating his own shots is going to create easier scoring opportunities for the team than what he is getting now. Sure it would make a more complete player for sure. Plus I don't think throwing the ball to Bridges and having him go ISO with Devin and Paul on this team is even part of the scheme even assuming he had those skills.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He may not have made an All-Defense team yet but I'd bet good money he will before his extension expires. That's this year plus the next 4. I'd be surprised if he doesn't receive real consideration this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he's only been in the league for 4 years, but he certainly passes the eye test for elite defender, even if he doesn't have the All-NBA honor yet. Book was an all-star calibre player well before he actually made it (and he was an injury sub on top of it). Does that make him any less deserving of the max contract he got?

He doesn’t pass the eye test to me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of his shots are assisted and that true but that doesn't tell the entire story. He is one of the best cutters in the league. Most of his shots are around the basket (53.1%). His FG% at the rim is 80.9% while the league average is 57.5%. Shooting that clip, at the rim, assisted or not is unheard of for a player not considered a big. Before anybody says it's a fluke? Last season, Bridges finished 72% at the rim, which is elite for an NBA wing.

That means he is moving great without the ball and creating easy scoring opportunities. I can't see how him creating his own shots is going to create easier scoring opportunities for the team than what he is getting now. Sure it would make a more complete player for sure. Plus I don't think throwing the ball to Bridges and having him go ISO with Devin and Paul on this team is even part of the scheme even assuming he had those skills.

If You can’t see how adding a third shot creator would help the offense, there’s literally nothing to talk about. That’s a ridiculous statement for a team that repeatedly ends up living snd dying by the three. The ability tu have another guy attack the basket means more FTs, getting other teams in foul trouble and the ability to adjust if threes aren’t falling. And no ones talking about making him go ISO. That’s a stupid projected straw man argument I never made. I’m talking about merely a guy who can go at defenses on close outs instead of his one dribble and stop, killing the offensive possession.

I mean did you already forget what happened in the Finals? because Paul wasn’t 100%, the offense completely bogged down because Booker was the only one who could consistently get his own shot and Bridges was TOTALLY shut down on offense.

The reality is that Almost all The best teams in the league/title winners in recent memory had at least three guys that were good to great offense creators or they had the two most elite in the game. We have two very good players who do that, but neither of which are at the Curry/LeBron/KD/Giannis level, able to completely dominate games. We’re built in more of an overall team vibe, but to win that means you need more shot creators.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What he did against Porzingis was pretty impressive

Porzingis is a stat padding floater on the floor who hasn’t really been good for three years.

That said, I’m Not saying Bridges isn’t a GOOD defender. He is. And he’s versatile too. I just don’t see him as an ELITE defender.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Porzingis is a stat padding floater on the floor who hasn’t really been good for three years.

That said, I’m Not saying Bridges isn’t a GOOD defender. He is. And he’s versatile too. I just don’t see him as an ELITE defender.

He’s not elite…yet…. Just hasn’t been in the league long enough. Im willing to bet he will be considered elite very soon if he keeps it up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson