Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your fooling yourself if you don’t think this isn’t 100% money motivated
I'd be surprised if money wasn't a factor in this decision but seriously, you are fooling yourself if you think it was money and nothing else. How many decisions have you made in your life where any one single issue was the sole consideration in your decision? It almost never happens.

If Jalen Smith had played like a top 30 pick, he'd still be on the roster or some other team would have offered us something in a trade for a more ready now player. And this organization is going to be in salary cap hell before you know it so it's foolish of anyone to think that money won't be a consideration in almost every decision they make.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if money wasn't a factor in this decision but seriously, you are fooling yourself if you think it was money and nothing else. How many decisions have you made in your life where any one single issue was the sole consideration in your decision? It almost never happens.

If Jalen Smith had played like a top 30 pick, he'd still be on the roster or some other team would have offered us something in a trade for a more ready now player. And this organization is going to be in salary cap hell before you know it so it's foolish of anyone to think that money won't be a consideration in almost every decision they make.

Of course it’s not the only factor but in my opinion it’s the biggest factor especially when the owner is someone like a Sarver who is considered poor when compared to other owners. We’ve seen him make a ton of decisions to save a penny. To me this is pretty much selling a pick.

One of the media talking heads brought up Ayton and said they didn’t pay him yet simply because they don’t have to and they won’t pay until the very end when they have no choice. It’s just how he’s operated over the last 15+.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much sums it up
So trolling it is.

This. This. This.
Of course it’s not the only factor but in my opinion it’s the biggest factor especially when the owner is someone like a Sarver who is considered poor when compared to other owners. We’ve seen him make a ton of decisions to save a penny. To me this is pretty much selling a pick.

One of the media talking heads brought up Ayton and said they didn’t pay him yet simply because they don’t have to and they won’t pay until the very end when they have no choice. It’s just how he’s operated over the last 15+.
So now you are contradicting yourself. You just said "Your fooling yourself if you don’t think this isn’t 100% money motivated".

So which is it?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So trolling it is.

This. This. This.

So now you are contradicting yourself. You just said "Your fooling yourself if you don’t think this isn’t 100% money motivated".

So which is it?

I said it’s by far the biggest factor. Like I said it’s pretty much selling a pick in my opinion.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it’s by far the biggest factor. Like I said it’s pretty much selling a pick in my opinion.
I know what you said. You also said "100% money motivated".

Are you going to pretend those two statements are the same? Some of us are arguing it was a factor but are acknowledging Jalen isn't a good player.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know what you said. You also said "100% money motivated".

Are you going to pretend those two statements are the same? Some of us are arguing it was a factor but are acknowledging Jalen isn't a good player.

And I’m arguing that money is the biggest factor and the player he is today might not be the player he is later. If you don’t want to put resources into developing a project don’t draft one.

What’s the problem here?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the Bender pick hurts more seeing how Porzingis has panned out. He was complete fools gold. Looked good in limited minutes and a minor role in New York so he was hyped beyond belief. Ended up in Dallas on an exorbitant salary and has shown nothing but the ability to sulk since.

Even if Bender was Porzingis 2.0 it wouldn't have been a good pick.
I dunno, if bender gave us what porzingas is I think he’s be a perfect compliment to what we have. Just think about adding porzingas to last years team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How many workout sessions and practices do you think this coaching staff has had with this kid? So, yes, it's very possible they have seen enough. Many teams do the same after drafting players. Happens every single year across the league. I am not sure why you think this is so unique?
Yeah I’m not sure it’s common to essentially give up on a top 10 draft pick a season and 5 games into his career. You’re admitting you REALLY blew the pick.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I’m arguing that money is the biggest factor and the player he is today might not be the player he is later. If you don’t want to put resources into developing a project don’t draft one.

What’s the problem here?
You saying we are all fooling ourselves even though the majority here can see that Jalen really isn't a good player at this time. Then you make a "100% " comment and change your mind later on top of that. Evidently, you don't think we can read?!?!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You saying we are all fooling ourselves even though the majority here can see that Jalen really isn't a good player at this time. Then you make a "100% " comment and change your mind later on top of that. Evidently, you don't think we can read?!?!

What’s this “we” stuff i was replying to you. I guess maybe you just take everything literal?

I never changed my mind it’s been the same stance since it was announced.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s this “we” stuff i was replying to you. I guess maybe you just take everything literal?

I never changed my mind it’s been the same stance since it was announced.
Maybe you missed the other comment above by @Ouchie-Z-Clown also saying he can read what you wrote. So first you pretend like some of us can't read and now you are pretending that someone else didn't also comment? Maybe you were being hyperbolic but that was hardly clear. It appeared you were just going to contradict yourself while calling everyone fools who can see the obvious about Jalen.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe you missed the other comment above by @Ouchie-Z-Clown also saying he can read what you wrote. So first you pretend like some of us can't read and now you are pretending that someone else didn't also comment? Maybe you were being hyperbolic but that was hardly clear. It appeared you were just going to contradict yourself while calling everyone fools who can see the obvious about Jalen.

Like I’ve said a million times(well not literally a million, just to make that clear for you) my stance from day 1 on this has been the same. It’s a money move more than anything. That has not changed and I have not changed my mind on that.

So you tell me. Where would you like this to go?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I’ve said a million times(well not literally a million, just to make that clear for you) my stance from day 1 on this has been the same. It’s a money move more than anything. That has not changed and I have not changed my mind on that.

Is there a place to go from a corner?
Chris Paul passes Steve Nash in career assists.

I had not looked at that list in a very long time. He will pass Jason kid before his career is done. Stockton?!?! :oops: Not sure anybody will ever catch him.
RankPlayerPosTotal assistsGames; playedAssists; per game; average
1John Stockton*PG15,8061,50410.5
2Jason Kidd*PG12,0911,3918.7
3Chris Paul^PG10,3461,0959.4

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If it's a money move, it only becomes that after they've analyzed Smith's value on the court or as a trading piece.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I had not looked at that list in a very long time. He will pass Jason kid before his career is done. Stockton?!?! :oops: Not sure anybody will ever catch him.

I think that record is safe. Stockton played 19 years and only missed 22 games. He was like a robot.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to have some sense so far of the the season (+/-):

Starters
Paul = -3.7
Booker = -1.8
Bridges = +4.8
Crowder = 0
Ayton = 1.0

The starters appear to be off to start the season. In fact, Bridges is the only reason the starting lineup is not a complete disaster so far and he is the second leading scorer on the team, leading the team in 3 pointers per game and has the highest 3 PT%. Bridges has been the most consistent player through six games (it's still WAY EARLY).

Returning Players:
Cam = -4.0
Payne = +7.5
Kaminsky = +11
Nader = -2.2
Jalen = -0.5

New Players:
Shamet = -3.8
Payton - -5.3
McGee = -4.7
Hutchinson = +5

Top 5 lineups:
C. Paul, .J. McGee, .M. Bridges, .L. Shamet, .C. Johnson = +10
.J. Crowder, .E. Payton, .F. Kaminsky, .D. Booker, .M. Bridges = +9
.J. Crowder, .D. Booker, .C. Payne, .M. Bridges, .D. Ayton = +6
.C. Paul, .F. Kaminsky, .D. Booker, .M. Bridges, .C. Johnson = +6
.C. Paul, .J. Crowder, .F. Kaminsky, .D. Booker, .M. Bridges = +5

There is zero doubt. Bridges has been our anchor so far this season.

Worst 5 lineups:
.C. Paul, .E. Payton, .A. Nader, .L. Shamet, .C. Johnson = -5
.C. Paul, .E. Payton, .L. Shamet, .D. Ayton, .C. Johnson = -5
. McGee, .E. Payton, .D. Booker, .L. Shamet, .C. Johnson = -5

C. Paul, .J. Crowder, .D. Booker, .M. Bridges, .D. Ayton = -4.4
J. Crowder, .C. Payne, .A. Nader, .L. Shamet, .C. Johnson = -4

So our starting 5 has been one of the worst lineups so far. Again, it's so early I wouldn't place much stock in this just yet but it's interesting regardless.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Peak Stockton was a little before my time but the fact he played 78 or more game in 17/19 years in an era when you could be physical with ball-handlers is mind blowing. That record will never be topped.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peak Stockton was a little before my time but the fact he played 78 or more game in 17/19 years in an era when you could be physical with ball-handlers is mind blowing. That record will never be topped.

Those are fantastic stats by Stockton no doubt.

I'm sure having Karl Malone as a teammate helped get those assists. Also he had those elbows nobody wanted to mess with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave