Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 5, 2019.

1. TJ

TJ NUKed

FTFY

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

+1

3. Mainstreet

4. Ronin

Ronin Registered

5. Mainstreet

I'm not sure what the hold up happens to be.

Hoop Head likes this.
  6. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Mainstreet likes this.
  7. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

I remember following that last summer. Someone who tried promoting on the Suns reddit beat Kelly to the punch filing for the trademark to Valley Boyz and had been trying to hit it rich by holding it hostage. Unfortunately the way trademarks work, he was legally in the clear but Kelly wasn't going to give up without a fight. Since Kelly refused to cut the guy a check, opting to pay legal fees instead, we'll see it drawn out to the point that the trademark is essentially worthless.

How many times did you hear mention of the "Valley Boyz" this year? Not nearly as often as the half season that Kelly was here for in the prior season. When you did hear it though it was likely initiated by fans or commentators instead of the players because the players understand what happened with the trademark. It sucks because it was a cool thing to see grow at first and to see it die off because some "fan" was greedy doesn't help the perception of Suns fans.

Mainstreet and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  8. Mainstreet

What a shame. You are right, I haven't heard the term lately. I hope it's resolved soon because it was doing some good things. I would think whoever coined the term first would carry some weight.

9. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Kelly coined it but the "fan" decided to file for the trademark not long after hearing it the first time. I don't recall the timeframe but Kelly said it on TV during a Suns broadcast and the fan registered the trademark a couple days later. Kelly didn't file for the trademark until the season was over, which was almost 2 months after it was first said.

I think the whole trademark process is a little flawed because a player could introduce a term to the world and use it for a few days, only for a "fan" to decide to claim the trademark on it and try charging a mint for it when/if the player decides to register it himself and/or sell merchandise featuring it. I would bet the fan hoped Kelly would go straight into production on merch so he could slap him with an injunction because the trademark belongs to him and Kelly profited from it, giving him an easy lawsuit for a nice sum of cash.

Hearing how Kelly wants to create a Boys & Girls Club with the name makes it more frustrating. You can tell that the monetary part of it isn't what he's interested in and it's been tainted by someone who was hoping to profit off of Kelly's creativity.

Mainstreet likes this.
  10. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Kelly is calling the Suns the Bubble Boyz on Twitter. He mentioned putting out a playlist to share what the team is listening to during practices. I wonder how much he'll use that going forward. Obviously there is a built in expiration for it.

Mainstreet likes this.
  11. Mainstreet

If clothing and other merchandise wasn't involved it would probably be easier to tweak the name than to go through the hassle of fighting over it.

I see since your earlier post you now mention the name "BubbleBoyz." So this appears to be a spinoff already.

Maybe the other party loses interest once they realize the name is not as valuable without the player and what it represents. Perhaps a settlement can be reached once the name is not considered a gold mine.

12. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

From Andrew on Twitter:

Before the season was suspended, Deandre Ayton had THIS 6/9 game stretch in February:
    25 points, 17 rebounds, 3 BLKS
    28 points, 19 rebounds, 3 BLKS
    28 points, 19 rebounds, 1 BLK
    26 points, 12 rebounds, 4 BLKS
    25 points, 17 rebounds, 2 BLKS
    20 points, 14 rebounds, 1 BLK Special.

Ronin likes this.
  13. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Sexy

14. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

What were the other three games?

15. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

12 & 6 with 2 blocks vs Houston
    17 & 10 with 1 block vs Toronto
    16 & 5 and 0 blocks vs Utah

No issues with the Toronto game. They are one of the top defensive teams in the league and Ayton had missed the previous 2 games due to an injury. He crapped the bed against Houston, in a game he should have dominated since they didn't have anyone over 6'8" to guard him.

It's worth noting the Suns won the Houston and Utah games. They beat Houston by 36 and beat Utah by 20 so Ayton's minutes weren't very high in either outing. He played 23 minutes against Houston and 21 against Utah.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.