Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

This thread is intended to provide a place for news and discussion relating to the Suns for the 2019-20 season.

Lots of things are happening leading up to the preseason opener against the Timberwolves on Tuesday, October 8th.

2. Mainstreet

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Suns injury updates: - Oubre has right wrist tendinitis. Sidelined w/ daily treatment. No timetable and re-evaluated in 7-10 days. - Bridges has a right patella bone bruise. Rehabbing right knee discomfort. No timetable. Re-evaluated in 7-10 days.

2:01 PM - 5 Oct 2019

3. Mainstreet

- Baynes had a procedure done Friday for a nasal fracture. He's getting re-evaluated on Sunday. - Lecque has a left ankle sprain and is on the same program as Oubre. - Kramer has a left tibia stress reaction. Out indefinitely.

2:03 PM - 5 Oct 2019

4. Mainstreet

It sounds like the Suns might need to consider adding a small forward. Cam Johnson is the only small forward of note that is currently ready to go.

Sounds like the earliest Oubre and Bridges will be practicing is the start of the week after next, which is 10 days out from the opener. That's plenty of time but they'll still be behind.

2:05 PM - 5 Oct 2019

5. Mainstreet

If the Suns pick up another wing here relatively soon, I would guess that means one of those two could miss the start of the season. Because Cam is the only healthy wing right now. Still have an open two-way spot and one too many PGs.

2:09 PM - 5 Oct 2019

6. Mainstreet

And more injury updates.

7. Mainstreet

Even Frank Kaminisky has reportedly experienced some low back tightness although it sounds like he will be ready for preseason.

Here is a link to a story about the Suns injury situation.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...jr-mikal-bridges-dealing-injuries/3882606002/

8. Mainstreet

I guess the most encouraging thing about the injuries to Oubre and Bridges is it sounds like that they will not need surgery.

However, I am not a doctor so what do I know.

9. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Last year we had no PG's and a plethora of wings and this year we're short on wings and have enough PG's to run a D'Antoni rotation. Go figure.

I think they should run a 3 guard lineup with Booker sliding over to SF. Rubio, Tyler Johnson, Booker, Saric, and Ayton isn't really that "small" of a lineup. I know it would be small against a Lakers team with Dwight, Davis, and Lebron in their frontcourt but you adapt as you go. I have no doubt that Booker, Rubio, and Tyler could play together and that is a hell of a lot bigger than Bledsoe, IT, and Dragic so I don't see the issue. It's not ideal but you play the hand you're dealt and I think having those 3 on the floor together would help Saric and Ayton find easy shots since all 3 can create for others and score on their own.

10. Mainstreet

I'm still hoping Oubre and/or Bridges are ready for the regular season opener against the Kings on October 23rd.

It would be nice to play Booker at his natural position (shooting guard) to start the season but he could easily slide to small forward for a few games and be just as potent. Rubio, Johnson, Booker, Saric, and Ayton is still a very good starting lineup as you note.

The way Monty talks about Cam Johnson, he just might start him at small forward if Bridges and Oubre are not ready for the opener.

11. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

With all due respect, I hope that our goals are greater than comparing upcoming lineups to running
    a D'Antoni
    rotation or being bigger than a 3-Point Guard lineup.

If you are running at full speed while looking back over your shoulder, you could run into a brick wall.

My wish is to see all expectations for the Suns to be based on the future, not the past.

Especially a past filled with gimmicks. Which, as the past decade has proven, are not
    formulas for growth let alone steady growth.

To me, we are looking forward to the NEW PHOENIX SUNS, with management allowed
    to use their professionalism and rotations with balance.

12. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

My comment on the D'Antoni rotation was poking fun at us having 7 guys who can play PG. Rather than say 7 guys who can play PG I said enough for a D'Antoni rotation since he famously ran 7 players into the ground game after game.

As far as the 3 PG lineup, I was only mentioning it wouldn't be a small lineup when it comes to recent Suns teams. I'm not worried about the current Suns repeating mistakes of the Suns of the past because it seems we have a smart assembly of talent that weren't part of those previous missteps. That's not to say they aren't aware of them, I'm sure it's something that's been looked at as something this current crew needs to erase from the conscious of other NBA players and fans because they're building their own culture going forward and hopefully that culture involves the playoffs and more.

Just because the past is mentioned doesn't mean anyone's expectations are set at a certain level. I think we're all looking forward, some with more optimism than others but all of us seem to have at least a sliver of hope. No need to check anyone's point of view.

BC867 likes this.
  13. Mainstreet

The Suns have the size to go big or small which is what today's NBA is all about... match-ups. If necessity such as injury requires them to use smaller lineups I have no problem with it. Besides, in certain situations this is going to happen all season for strategic advantage.

I think we all want to see the Suns use their guards and small forwards along with a combination of Ayton, Saric, Baynes, Kaminsky and Diallo. However, if the Suns strength is at guard I'm all for using it as the situation demands. Monty Williams has a different coaching style than Mike D'Antoni but I am not going to deny his offensive style has revolutionized the NBA.

14. ArizonaSportsFan

ArizonaSportsFan Registered User

TJ was out a large portion of the season with a "bone bruise". Just saying.

15. Mainstreet

I suspect Warren didn't want to be here.

There was speculation he might play right up until the end of the season but it never happened.

The Suns shouldn't have had to add the 32nd pick to trade a productive player.