Suns @ Grizzlies

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I love Shaq, Amudson, Hill and Barbosa

OJ Mayo successfully shut down.

and

Grizzlies SCORELESS for the last 4 minutes of the game.

Amare needs to be taken out behind the shed and whacked with a 2x4. I am done with his attitude.

Refs need to do their damage control/prove their points without it impacting the game. Thats not the point of their responsibilities.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Just a holiday mood joke...

What would happen if we hadn't trade for Shaq, is that possible Marion lead the team to win while Nash injuried and Amare ejected?

Tell me Kerr did a terrible trade again.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure how good of a teacher Shaq is or how good (willing?) a student Amare is, but Amare could learn so much from Shaq in the next year or two.
I've already seen Amare make some touch-passes inside that Shaq is so good at making.
What I would really like to see is Shaq teaching Amare how to calmly deal with double teams. It was a thing of beauty today- one of the guards came over to double Shaq, Shaq calmly hold the ball out of his reach, looks around, finds open Amare who drives to the hoop for an easy one.
Another thing Shaq could teach him is the psychological/mental part of the game. If Amare can learn how to be calm when things are not going his way, he will be literally unstoppable.

I think Amare has always had a knack for passing, but he has never really been a consistent (or, to steal a phrase, "willing?") passer. He's always been able to deliver passes in traffic right where you'd want the ball to be thrown if you're the guy on the receiving end. However, he has always been extremely myopic offensively. Whenever he delivers a beautiful pass, if you watch his eyes and the way he executes the play, it is his first option to pass on that particular play from the get-go. On most occassions, it is his first option - and thus his only option - to put up a shot, and consequently, that's what he ends up doing. A prime example of this was his back-door pass to Grant Hill in the last 5 seconds of the Spurs game. Clearly, Porter drew up the play with the first option being for Amare to catch the ball at the top of the key and look for Grant cutting to the basket. If that didn't materialize, then Amare was likely instructed to try to attack himself (or whatever Porter drew up... this part never had to happened and thus is kind of conjecture).

I think, no matter how much people want from the guy, "That's Amare". It's how his basketball mind works. The key might be to embrace the fact that Amare is first a brilliant scorer, that he can also be a great passer, and that he ISN'T a playmaker. Normally, that's okay for a big man, but more often than not, Amare catches the ball 13-17 feet away from the basket. His first inclination is to try to score. So, with his mind fixated on the rim, he either shoots a jumper, drives and dunks, takes one dribble and takes the pull-up finesse shot in the lane, or whatever.

Bottom line is, Amare isn't a shooting guard and is less effective driving from the top of the key and making split-second decisions on whether to shoot or pass. If I were Terry Porter, I'd try my darndest to get Amare into the positions where he doesn't have to make so many split second decisions - i.e. not give him the ball at the top of the key all the time and ask him to pretend to be J. Rich in mini-Dwight Howard's body, but I suppose we have to work with what we have. Porter has enough trouble speaking coherently that asking him to be the maestro of a complicated offense that opens up the floor enough for Steve Nash to be Steve Nash, allows Shaq to orchestrate the inside-out offense, AND puts Stoudemire in the positions to be an effective scorer/passer without having to add to that creating plays off of multiple dribbles is probably too much. D'Antoni did it decently (Amare averaged incredible numbers with Shaq last year), but we've all read about the supposed problems with Coach Mike's system.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Just a holiday mood joke...

What would happen if we hadn't trade for Shaq, is that possible Marion lead the team to win while Nash injuried and Amare ejected?

Tell me Kerr did a terrible trade again.

I think Kerr has been doing a great job. Shaq trade, JRich trade, Hill, Barnes, and Amundson signings...
Not sure what to make of our rookies yet, but not very happy with them so far.
But I do like what Kerr's been doing.

Hell, I am happy with Porter too. I like the fact that he is not stubborn and admits when he's wrong. He'll willing to make adjustments.

The only one that's still blacklisted in my book is Sarver, but if he spends mid-level exemption next year (or this year) I'll come around to not dislike him either.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think Amare has always had a knack for passing, but he has never really been a consistent (or, to steal a phrase, "willing?") passer. He's always been able to deliver passes in traffic right where you'd want the ball to be thrown if you're the guy on the receiving end. However, he has always been extremely myopic offensively. Whenever he delivers a beautiful pass, if you watch his eyes and the way he executes the play, it is his first option to pass on that particular play from the get-go. On most occassions, it is his first option - and thus his only option - to put up a shot, and consequently, that's what he ends up doing. A prime example of this was his back-door pass to Grant Hill in the last 5 seconds of the Spurs game. Clearly, Porter drew up the play with the first option being for Amare to catch the ball at the top of the key and look for Grant cutting to the basket. If that didn't materialize, then Amare was likely instructed to try to attack himself (or whatever Porter drew up... this part never had to happened and thus is kind of conjecture).

I think, no matter how much people want from the guy, "That's Amare". It's how his basketball mind works. The key might be to embrace the fact that Amare is first a brilliant scorer, that he can also be a great passer, and that he ISN'T a playmaker. Normally, that's okay for a big man, but more often than not, Amare catches the ball 13-17 feet away from the basket. His first inclination is to try to score. So, with his mind fixated on the rim, he either shoots a jumper, drives and dunks, takes one dribble and takes the pull-up finesse shot in the lane, or whatever.

Bottom line is, Amare isn't a shooting guard and is less effective driving from the top of the key and making split-second decisions on whether to shoot or pass. If I were Terry Porter, I'd try my darndest to get Amare into the positions where he doesn't have to make so many split second decisions - i.e. not give him the ball at the top of the key all the time and ask him to pretend to be J. Rich in mini-Dwight Howard's body, but I suppose we have to work with what we have. Porter has enough trouble speaking coherently that asking him to be the maestro of a complicated offense that opens up the floor enough for Steve Nash to be Steve Nash, allows Shaq to orchestrate the inside-out offense, AND puts Stoudemire in the positions to be an effective scorer/passer without having to add to that creating plays off of multiple dribbles is probably too much. D'Antoni did it decently (Amare averaged incredible numbers with Shaq last year), but we've all read about the supposed problems with Coach Mike's system.

That's a great post.
:raccoon:

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Some over-reacting to Amare problem. He is still a young man, sometimes gots hot-headed, sometimes goes through a bad period. I'm sure we all know Shaq is a proven "one-of-the-all-time-best" with all the experience and skills. It will take Amare a lot of effor to even get close to that level. He may or may not be able to reach it, but we got to wait to see.

For team tactics, for now, it is better to play Shaq as the offensive anchor than Amare. Actually Porter has been doing that for a while, not just last 2 games. It seems to be working well. But there comes the concern of the ego of Amare and Nash ...

OP
OP
A

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I didn't truly understand how good the defense was in the 4th till about now (I am a late bloomer)....we held an NBA team to 11 points in a quarter, granted it was the Grizzlies, but still that is no easy feat.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't truly understand how good the defense was in the 4th till about now (I am a late bloomer)....we held an NBA team to 11 points in a quarter, granted it was the Grizzlies, but still that is no easy feat.

Remember this same "Grizzlies" took the Spurs to 2 overtime, they are quite capable of putting huge numbers on the board if allowed, especially Gay, they are an NBA team afterall.
Although we missed Nash i don't think the good defensive effort in the fourth and his missing the game are unrelated.