Suns extend Landry Shamet

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just peeved that I was consistently ridiculed on this board for a perspective that turned out to be right on the money. At least I am not asking for apologies...
And the other two hundred plus times that you tried to take a victory lap for something that still hadn't happened?

Posters get things right and they get things wrong, it's no big deal. But your batting average is beyond putrid so it should come as no surprise every time someone reminds you of your past predictions (some of which came as guarantees).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feels like they are leaving the door open to trades and potential sign and trade after the season.
Best case scenario, JJ was calling the shots on this negotiation with an awareness that if Ayton didn't accept their offer, James would be fine with DA not being a long term member of the Phoenix Suns. Worst case scenario is that JJ wanted and knew we needed to offer the max but Sarver insisted we pay DA based on what he's earned rather than what he's demonstrated he can earn.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feels like they are leaving the door open to trades and potential sign and trade after the season.

This was one of my takes as well as much as I wanted the Suns to wrap up extensions yesterday.

The one thing we don't know as fans is how the Suns view the bigger picture in regard to player personnel.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except that Cam J is our 6th man, Payne is our 7th man, McGee is our 8th man and Shamet is our 9th man...

Lol... That's actually kind of funny. Barring an injury to a starter, Shamet will see more time than both McGee and Payne. He'll probably be within a single minute of Cam J by years end as well when looking at minutes per game average.

Quit acting like you know Monty's rotation. You also believe Nader won't see regular minutes either despite him being a favorite of Monty's, so much so he was used in the NBA Finals after having missed approximately 3 months due to injury.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a bold prediction considering Paul's age and Booker's longevity.

I don't think it's bold at all. You've chosen a different way to view it but that doesn't negate the point that Shamet will be the first guard off the bench regularly and will be used as a Sixth man, of sorts.

The only way Cam Payne plays more than Shamet is if he'll be starting for Paul. Which doesn't mean Shamet won't be the first guard off the bench primarily when the lineups are intact.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve seen nothing to suggest Shamet playing more minutes than Payne or Cam Johnson. Both guys bring a more to the table. Payne is a legit backup PG than can take over games while Cam J is a two way wing. Right now Shamet is a sharp shooter and a inconsistent one at that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol... That's actually kind of funny. Barring an injury to a starter, Shamet will see more time than both McGee and Payne. He'll probably be within a single minute of Cam J by years end as well when looking at minutes per game average.

Quit acting like you know Monty's rotation. You also believe Nader won't see regular minutes either despite him being a favorite of Monty's, so much so he was used in the NBA Finals after having missed approximately 3 months due to injury.

I'm talking about what the rotation SHOULD be, based on ability, not on what it WILL be, based on...well I don't know WTF these guys are thinking...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen nothing to suggest Shamet playing more minutes than Payne or Cam Johnson. Both guys bring a more to the table. Payne is a legit backup PG than can take over games while Cam J is a two way wing. Right now Shamet is a sharp shooter and a inconsistent one at that.

I think where some posters are seeing Shamet getting significant minutes is because he can play both guard positions and he can rest Booker and play some point guard as well. Paul may get more rest this season.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
SIAP but this looks better with the non-guaranteed years:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
SIAP but this looks better with the non-guaranteed years:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I wonder what’s the difference between a no guaranteed year and a team option year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what’s the difference between a no guaranteed year and a team option year.
There isn't much difference. As far as I know, the only real differences is that an option year has to be picked up by the end of June (or last day of the season) whereas the un-guaranteed date can be negotiated plus partial salary can also be involved.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CP3’s third year is half guaranteed so I’m assuming it’s the same for Shamet.

Yes Paul and Shamet both have two years guaranteed after that it’s whatever the suns want to do

The Suns clearly have something in mind. Considering they were only willing to offer Ayton 3/4 years.

It’s like Sarver is saying if you can’t do it in these next two years It’s getting blown up

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes Paul and Shamet both have two years guaranteed after that it’s whatever the suns want to do

The Suns clearly have something in mind. Considering they were only willing to offer Ayton 3/4 years.

It’s like Sarver is saying if you can’t do it in these next two years It’s getting blown up

More like it's getting blown up regardless of what happens in the next two years.

We need a new owner.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Don’t know if blown up is where I would go with it, but they want to have the flexibility to move on from Paul when it’s time and both Paul’s and Landry’s contracts will be very tradeable in a year or two. They likely want to be in a position to make a move on a guy like Trae or Ja if they were to force their way out. Signing Ayton to 5 years would also make that impossible.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Don’t know if blown up is where I would go with it, but they want to have the flexibility to move on from Paul when it’s time and both Paul’s and Landry’s contracts will be very tradeable in a year or two. They likely want to be in a position to make a move on a guy like Trae or Ja if they were to force their way out. Signing Ayton to 5 years would also make that impossible.

So would replacing Ayton with Jalen freaking Smith, which I now fear is their plan.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This was one of my takes as well as much as I wanted the Suns to wrap up extensions yesterday.

The one thing we don't know as fans is how the Suns view the bigger picture in regard to player personnel.

I think this is reasonable. I’m an Ayton supporter (I took him in my fantasy draft ahead of his ranking, for instance). But maybe they’re open to trading him. Maybe Booker and CP are open to trading him.

He seems like a bit of a goof so maybe his comments mean nothing. But maybe asking how to stay motivated after getting paid means something. Maybe defining success as a second contract means something. Maybe saying, “We lost but it was fun” means something. Of course, different sport, but Pats fans were mad when Gronk was partying after they lost their second Super Bowl to the Giants (his first Super Bowl) and he went on to be a major piece of four championships. You never know.

If Ayton rises to the challenge he’ll make that max. If he doesn’t, someone else may have to pay it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping Landry Shamet can turn into the Suns version of Patty Mills.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So would replacing Ayton with Jalen freaking Smith, which I now fear is their plan.
Lol my God
Do you seriously think that's the plan?
Seriously? Cause there's no way on this earth J Jones is even thinking like that.
I'm still laughing

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol my God
Do you seriously think that's the plan?
Seriously? Cause there's no way on this earth J Jones is even thinking like that.
I'm still laughing
Well, we know that Jalen is much better suited for center than power forward.

He gives effort, is an okay rebounder and once outplayed a decent college center when he was at Maryland.

Also, he's younger than DA, he's already had Covid so he's got those anti-bodies working for him, he's had less wear and tear on his knees, he didn't lose his last game in college and he's a lot cheaper since his contract isn't coming due and he wasn't the number one pick.

Lastly, his name is easier to spell and if necessary he can use a generic Smith jersey plus he gets along with the deep bench guys who will be starting when DA moves on and Booker follows him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Jalen Smith can turn into a solid rotation player this year I'll be ecstatic. It'll be like watching Nash win MVP or Amare winning Rookie of the Year all over again

I'm genuinely invested in his development thanks to the resident naysayer. Its a win win because if he doesn't develop, it really won't bother me even close to seeing Bender, Chriss or Jackson bust. It's like Earl Clark 2.0 where we have a solid team around him and while he'd help, we don't need him to in order to reach our peak.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard