Suns extend Landry Shamet

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why, you think any owner signs 100 million dollar deals without talking to the player?

get real.

Are you kidding? Yes. I think most deals for guys with that kind of potential or guys looking for max deals aren’t talking to their owners DURING negotiations. That’s what agents are for. Players needing a sit down only come when talks break down.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No this is stupid.

Not signing him now does not mean the team does not want him.

for god sake they have been negotiating for at least two weeks - obviously the team DOES want him.

I would heavily bet he will resign with the suns next off season
I was responding to someone else's speculation. I made no such claim. I don't think that is the case at all. I think the Suns want him on a home discount because Sarver is cheap. This move keeps the team under the luxury tax. How much more obvious does this get?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was responding to someone else's speculation. I made no such claim. I don't think that is the case at all. I think the Suns want him on a home discount because Sarver is cheap. This move keeps the team under the luxury tax. How much more obvious does this get?
Well sarver is cheap - however I get the impression he doesn’t believe he is worth the max either.

maybe he is right for all you or I know. I don’t know how he acts off the court and I doubt you do either unless you work for the team.

if it was just servers cheapness, he would not have just paid Paul, Shamet, and bridges big money.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well sarver is cheap - however I get the impression he doesn’t believe he is worth the max either.

maybe he is right for all you or I know. I don’t know how he acts off the court and I doubt you do either unless you work for the team.

if it was just servers cheapness, he would not have just paid Paul, Shamet, and bridges big money.
I could buy that it was really about Ayton's worth except...........he has one full roster spot, one two way spot and an exemption he hasn't used ON TOP of all of that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Don't you think those people had input including James Jones?

Deandre Ayton even attended Sarver's alma mater Arizona. The easiest avenue would have been to pay Ayton.

I wanted Ayton signed too but I have to look and ask why.

I’ve always said the Sarver/Ayton/UA connection meant little to nothing. If it was about fanfare they would’ve taken the internationally known superstar in Doncic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could buy that it was really about Ayton's worth except...........he has one full roster spot, one two way spot and an exemption he hasn't used ON TOP of all of that.

It’s all of that. It’s not just this one thing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always said the Sarver/Ayton/UA connection meant little to nothing. If it was about fanfare they would’ve taken the internationally known superstar in Doncic.

I think it was more about the Suns always wanting a center from the days of losing the coin flip for Kareem. Also Luka was not viewed as a sure thing by about a half of the scouting services prior to the 2018 draft. Most viewed Ayton as a safe choice given a learning curve.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think it was more about the Suns always wanting a center from the days of losing the coin flip for Kareem. Also Luka was not viewed as a sure thing by about a half of the scouting services prior to the 2018 draft. Most viewed Ayton as a safe choice given a learning curve.

McD loved physical upside and didn’t care much about bb iq/polish.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton is an asset if the Suns decide to trade him.

JMHO, it was less about money and more about the Suns not believing Ayton was a max player.

Which makes zero sense, as the team stunk out loud last season with Ayton off the floor, it has no other interior player except McGee on an expiring contract, and guys like MPJ and SGA got max deals.

This team is about to be Booker surrounded by a bunch of role players...that is if Booker doesn't ask out or just walk at the end of his deal.

The last time this team was Booker surrounded by role players, it won 19 games...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Funny how most of the contracts end around 2-3 years from now. Chris Paul and the gang can be all gone and we retool around Booker.

Why in the world would Booker want to stick around for that?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This. 100% no. Booker already found out what it's like NOT having someone of Chris Paul's caliber. Short of bringing in someone on of this caliber I fully expect Booker to say get someone or trade me even WITH Ayton unless he makes a major leap. Without Ayton as well? He is out of here.

Just remember who said it first...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
occam's razor.

Ayton wasn't seen meeting with Monty or JJ. He was seen meeting with the man himself, who has been known forever to meddle in CRUCIAL negotiations.

I've been saying from the get-go that this offseason reeks of the Same Old Sarver...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember who said it first...

Why is this so important to you? How pathetic is the rest of your life that you desperately need for people to say you were first?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I see Shamet as more of a poor man's Jeremy Clarkson right now. Good ballhandler, can run the point, can get buckets, and plays solid defense. Clarkson just got 4 years/$52m. I'd say this is Sixth Man money, which is fair.

Except that Cam J is our 6th man, Payne is our 7th man, McGee is our 8th man and Shamet is our 9th man...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The last time Sarver paid "big money for a combination of three players" while refusing to pay max money to one player was the dreaded offseason when Amare was replaced with Turkoglu, Childress and Warrick. That was the beginning of a full decade of futility.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Precisely the point I was making earlier (and being ridiculed for).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let’s make a signature bet. I bet he doesn’t sign a long term deal with the team next off-season.
This is a stupid gamble the Suns are taking but it is still hard to imagine them being unable to retain him. We can offer more money and years than any other team.

I think the ultimate outcome will be the Suns having to pay him significantly more next summer than if they had extended him now, and that extra money costing them any idea of extending Cam or any other meaningful contacts until Paul’s comes off the books.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except that I was right on the money here.
You’re not right about anything. You’re predicting stuff about next year.

This summer you’ve been proven wrong about Paul, Payne and Bridges.

You only predict negative outcomes and you predict every negative outcome possible. So you get zero credit for having one of your troll predictions still having a glimmer of hope of coming true.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Feels like they are leaving the door open to trades and potential sign and trade after the season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why is this so important to you? How pathetic is the rest of your life that you desperately need for people to say you were first?

I am just peeved that I was consistently ridiculed on this board for a perspective that turned out to be right on the money. At least I am not asking for apologies...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard