Suns claim Luis Scola

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It's clear that the Suns will not tank, nor do they intend to rely solely on the draft. It seems that they are acquiring assets for possible trades. Harden comes to mind as a target. I'm sure OKC would love to have an actual offensively talented big man like Scola for only $3 million per season.

For every OKC that builds a nice team through the draft there are 3 Washington Buzzards that get stuck in the lotto for years with no end in sight.

Every team has to spend a certain amount. The Suns are going to spend their money on the best players available.

Another way of looking at it is: The Suns just traded Childress for Scola.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
For every OKC that builds a nice team through the draft there are 3 Washington Buzzards that get stuck in the lotto for years with no end in sight.

Every team has to spend a certain amount. The Suns are going to spend their money on the best players available.

Name a succesful team that build without building around at least one stud draft pick?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns get Scola and the league will finally crack down hard on flopping.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Detroit Pistons. What did I win?

They were the only exception really, maybe Shaq Lakers if you disregard Kobe but those are special circumstances with Shaq.

And even those Pistons team needed a trade that gifted them Rasheed Wallace for free basically. That team was still lead by a few top 5 picks (Billups#3, Wallace#4)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Name a succesful team that build without building around at least one stud draft pick?

I'm assuming you mean pick of their own.

The Lakers didn't draft Kobe(and he was #13) or any other good player on their 3peat team.

But seriously, the Suns drafted Amare and Marion at #9. The current team could easily end up with the #9 pick next summer.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think scola is well worth the contract they are giving him but i feel like the frontcourt now conflicts with the back court. Dragic, mayo, and beasley will want to get out and run, scola and gortat are too slow together

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
we have a nice set of good role players but no stars. boy we're going to be bad next year.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
From what I read Scola's contract becomes 60% and 0% the following year. So he could be bought out @ $6Million and $0the following year with Houstan still having to pay the bill.

For example, if a 10+ year veteran is amnestied in 2012 with three years remaining on his contract at $10 million each season, and his salary is guaranteed 100% in 2012-13, 60% in 2013-14, and 0% in 2014-15, then the minimum bid for a partial waiver claim is $4 million -- the unprotected amount in the partly-protected 2013-14 season, which is larger than the sum of the minimum salaries for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons. Since the 2014-15 season is completely unprotected, it is ignored when determining the minimum bid amount.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
someone might claim Josh for the minimum bid so they will pay only around 10M$ for Josh.

Still how can anyony get excited about Scola.

He is 6'9, can't jump at all, he is 32, he is banged up, his rebounding was worse than Frye's last year.

Gortat, Scola, Frye, Morris that is the least athletic, worst rebounding and worst defensive frontcourt in the entire NBA by far.
You do realize that Gortat are Scola are two of the better interior defenders in the NBA right? They are both also very solid rebounders.

Morris is still incredibly young and can grow. I agree with you on Frye.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think scola is well worth the contract they are giving him but i feel like the frontcourt now conflicts with the back court. Dragic, mayo, and beasley will want to get out and run, scola and gortat are too slow together

When you start with next to nothing its hard to find this many pieces that all compliment one another perfectly. It seems like the Suns are just trying to acquire the best pieces they can.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we got Scola for the main reason of having a veteran presence in the locker room to guide guys like Beasley/Mayo etc.

Scola is said to be a great locker room citizen and an even better teammate.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You do realize that Gortat are Scola are two of the better interior defenders in the NBA right? They are both also very solid rebounders.

Morris is still incredibly young and can grow. I agree with you on Frye.

Scola is a terrible defender , and Gortat is one of the worst help defenders on the Suns.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am still stumped on why would have to pay $10 the next few years for Scola, why doesn't Memphis have to pay the $22 Million for Arenas and the other teams that picked up dropped players. I am excited to get Scola for $3-5Million but still lost on the remaining years.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From what I read Scola's contract becomes 60% and 0% the following year. So he could be bought out @ $6Million and $0the following year with Houstan still having to pay the bill.
No, the text you quoted is just an example of how to calculate the minimum bid for a contract that was structured as described. Scola had two guaranteed years left and a final non-guaranteed year. Now all three years become guaranteed with the Suns having to essentially pay 100% of the final non-guaranteed year spread out over three years, plus whatever amount they bid over the minimum.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were the only exception really, maybe Shaq Lakers if you disregard Kobe but those are special circumstances with Shaq.

And even those Pistons team needed a trade that gifted them Rasheed Wallace for free basically. That team was still lead by a few top 5 picks (Billups#3, Wallace#4)

I'd celebrate the hell out of an "exception" championship. For being drafted #3 overall, Chauncey Billups was an underachiever that played for 4 teams prior to breaking out with the Pistons nearly five seasons after he was drafted. Rasheed Wallace was talented, but a knucklehead on and off the court who also bounced around before finding a home with Detroit 9 years after he was drafted. You can draw a lot of similarities between Billups/Wallace and Mayo/Beasley (I'm not saying the results will be the same at all). But, you can't deny the similarities. The Suns are trying the best they can, and the truth is that nobody outside of Miami and OKC are likely to win a championship in the next 5 years anyways.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Suns are making moves to improve the team like amnesty Childress and acquiring Scola. This is not the Suns of past years throwing away draft picks to get salary relief. I believe Scola brings some sorely needed toughness to the team. It sounds like the Suns will get Scola for something like 3 years in the order of 10M dollars, perhaps slightly more. Also the Suns are adding pieces that should provide future trade value.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If Gambo is correct, then I don't know how that works anymore. I thought all three years had to be guaranteed. Otherwise, this is less guaranteed money than what the minimum bid was supposed to have been.

I the orginal team "Houstan" still has the guarantee all his contract but the signing team "Suns" don't have to. He might count $10 Million against the Suns cap, unless we cut or trade him, but I might be off on that also.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I the orginal team "Houstan" still has the guarantee all his contract but the signing team "Suns" don't have to. He might count $10 Million against the Suns cap, unless we cut or trade him, but I might be off on that also.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I've seen you do this a couple times. Do you really not know it's spelled Houston or is there somes sort of joke I'm missing?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn