Suns and upcoming CBA Big Change per WOJ

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It must be a typo because both bolded points are the same day.
July 1 to the Start of the 2024 Offseason
This covers the part of the CBA and will be in effect starting 1 July 2023 and covers the rules for the 2023-24 season.

Day After the Last Day of the 2023-24 Regular Season

This covers the next portion of the CBA and it goes into effect in May at the end of the 2023-24 regular season. This is essentially when the harsher rules go into effect.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Espo on PHNX Suns was reading the CBA and brought up something interesting. He said there's general language that you lose the ability to perform your pick swaps. Not enter into new ones, but be able to execute the ones you have. So the assumption is say SA had a pick swap from you to get Victor Webanyama. The way it's worded, Espo says if you exceed the second apron, you can't have that swap occur, even if it benefits the other team. So knowing your pick is going to be used by SA, he's saying the way the wording is now, you go out sign some contracts to go over that second apron, and "unfortunately" you are stuck with your pick, and I guess you will just have to take Webanyama. Oh well. He was saying the way it was worded the NBA will have to go back and look at that. :lol: I'm sure they were thinking the other way around when they put it in there. Like if you would have got the number one pick because of a swap, too bad because you went over the second apron. He said it doesn't really specify that.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
This is all way over my head. I just want to watch the games and leave this crap to everyone else.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ar one time I got into figuring all this out. Now I don't have the time, don't care, and hate that they keep changing it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Espo on PHNX Suns was reading the CBA and brought up something interesting. He said there's general language that you lose the ability to perform your pick swaps. Not enter into new ones, but be able to execute the ones you have. So the assumption is say SA had a pick swap from you to get Victor Webanyama. The way it's worded, Espo says if you exceed the second apron, you can't have that swap occur, even if it benefits the other team. So knowing your pick is going to be used by SA, he's saying the way the wording is now, you go out sign some contracts to go over that second apron, and "unfortunately" you are stuck with your pick, and I guess you will just have to take Webanyama. Oh well. He was saying the way it was worded the NBA will have to go back and look at that. :lol: I'm sure they were thinking the other way around when they put it in there. Like if you would have got the number one pick because of a swap, too bad because you went over the second apron. He said it doesn't really specify that.
But isn't there a penalty that causes your pick to go to the end of the 1st round? Maybe that's why a swap can't happen because your pick is automatically moved to the end of the round?

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
But isn't there a penalty that causes your pick to go to the end of the 1st round? Maybe that's why a swap can't happen because your pick is automatically moved to the end of the round?
IDK. Most shows are saying they have to wait for someone to try something and see how the rule is interpreted. From the section ESPO was reading, they made it sound like the swaps are basically null and void. I know the intent was to prevent a team from moving up in the draft if they are over the second apron. Espo is saying they worded it wrong, and a team could use it as a tool to hold onto a pick they would normally have to convey.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, a few more million to spend.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey, a few more million to spend.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

10 years ago the cap was about 60M, its insane what players can make these days, i get it there's inflation but still.

I'm just wondering when a star will take a good pay cut to play with two other stars who are willing to take a pay cut as well with the new cba. How much money is too much money for these guys, its just unreal, i wouldn't know what to do with it all.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
10 years ago the cap was about 60M, its insane what players can make these days, i get it there's inflation but still.

I'm just wondering when a star will take a good pay cut to play with two other stars who are willing to take a pay cut as well with the new cba. How much money is too much money for these guys, its just unreal, i wouldn't know what to do with it all.
Don't look at soccer. Some of these guys, like Renaldo make a BILLION per year! Messi was offered that, and turned it down, to play in Miami.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Don't look at soccer. Some of these guys, like Renaldo make a BILLION per year! Messi was offered that, and turned it down, to play in Miami.
Ronaldo's contract is roughly $214M per year. Still asinine, but not $1B.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pretty sure Ronaldo is at 75m/yr for his actual football contract.

It's so ironic to me that the likes of the NFL, NBA, MLB rarely touch the contracts of Football.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ohtani’s contract this summer is going to be insane.

He’s 2 players in 1, dude might get 80 million per year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Pretty sure Ronaldo is at 75m/yr for his actual football contract.

It's so ironic to me that the likes of the NFL, NBA, MLB rarely touch the contracts of Football.
It shouldn't be. Soccer is a much bigger international sport than the others. It just isn't huge here in the states.