Suns and upcoming CBA Big Change per WOJ

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also lose the ability to add players bought out during the season if their salary pre-buyout was over the average salary size, which is essentially the midlevel exception.

Another restriction is trading away future picks. I don't quite understand that but I believe it's something like they can only trade picks 5 years out rather than 7.

One other rule change is trade restrictions. If over the second then teams can't take on more than 110% of a players salary in a trade compared to normal trade restrictions of 125% brought back. So definitely makes things more restrictive. There's something about packaging players also but I can't recall exactly how that works.

In more ways than just salary too. It’s going to force more parody across the league. The NBA is determined to kill dynasties.

I would like to know more about the Suns thought process before the Durant trade pertaining to the new CBA.

For example, did the Suns do it anyway, consequences be damned, or was there a thought out process on how the team would proceed going forward.

I hope there was a plan in place.

Chris Paul appears to be nearing the end of his career and the Suns are left with few assets to make a trade. The luxury taxpayer MLE and Biannual Exception are not much to work with.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In more ways than just salary too. It’s going to force more parody across the league. The NBA is determined to kill dynasties.
I don't think that is the aim per se. I think it's more about parity and having excitement in all the markets. The way the western conference was jockeying for playoff position at the end of the season is more of what they want to see. If a team is really good and always wins through coaching, a special player, etc, I think that's what they want. They don't want super teams which is essentially what the eighties Lakers and Celtics were.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would like to know more about the Suns thought process before the Durant trade pertaining to the new CBA.

For example, did the Suns do it anyway, consequences be damned, or was there a thought out process on how the team would proceed going forward.

Chris Paul appears to be nearing the end of his career and the Suns are left with few assets to make a trade. The luxury taxpayer MLE and Biannual Exception are not much to work with.
I think they did think about it because Ishbia himself keeps saying they traded for a Durant with three years on his contract, which implies why he was willing to give more for that reason, and that Booker is on the books for 5 more seasons. I think they are looking at building the team around a duo, and both of them are arguably in the top ten players in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they did think about it because Ishbia himself keeps saying they traded for a Durant with three years on his contract, which implies why he was willing to give more for that reason, and that Booker is on the books for 5 more seasons. I think they are looking at building the team around a duo, and both of them are arguably in the top ten players in the NBA.

It does seem likely both James Jones and Mat Isbbia did think about it.

The Suns would have been loaded to wheel and deal to improve the team this summer, even after tweaking the roster at the trade deadline. Now the Suns seem to be built around two players. It would seem less risky if Durant were in his prime like Booker.

Also, if the Suns had more assets and unrestricted money to improve the team, it would make more sense. The Suns can't simply add players like the Clippers did last season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The amount of time on KD's contract doesn't matter as much as how long he's able to be a top 10-20 player in the league. He's there now and will likely be next year but in 3 years? That's not likely. It's possible, sure, but I wouldn't bet on it the way Ishbia seemingly did.

We've watched CP3 fall off a cliff. He was a top 15 player when he was acquired and now he isn't a top 50 player. The ages are similar as their skillsets being based on high BB IQ rather than athleticism. Still the same, Father Time is undefeated. That makes some of us concerned to go down this path again.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The amount of time on KD's contract doesn't matter as much as how long he's able to be a top 10-20 player in the league. He's there now and will likely be next year but in 3 years? That's not likely. It's possible, sure, but I wouldn't bet on it the way Ishbia seemingly did.

We've watched CP3 fall off a cliff. He was a top 15 player when he was acquired and now he isn't a top 50 player. The ages are similar as their skillsets being based on high BB IQ rather than athleticism. Still the same, Father Time is undefeated. That makes some of us concerned to go down this path again.
I am less worried about KD, who shoots a lot of jumpers. His game isn't really dependent on speed or leaping.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am less worried about KD, who shoots a lot of jumpers. His game isn't really dependent on speed or leaping.

I can see that but he has also missed more time due to injuries so I think it's a wash. Can't help at all if he can't play.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The CBA wasn’t approved yet and have no idea when the Apron idea came about. Having said that? Let’s assume teams new it was coming. There were a bunch of moves by several teams possibly knowing the window was closing for loaded teams.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I can see that but he has also missed more time due to injuries so I think it's a wash. Can't help at all if he can't play.
I get that. Look at his stats pre injury this season. He was putting up historic numbers in efficiency. I don't believe he's fully back after his injury. We just saw a pro's pro game. He was shooting like crap for him, then he goes to the line 14 times? He put up 39 on a night he clearly was far from his best.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that. Look at his stats pre injury this season. He was putting up historic numbers in efficiency. I don't believe he's fully back after his injury. We just saw a pro's pro game. He was shooting like crap for him, then he goes to the line 14 times? He put up 39 on a night he clearly was far from his best.
He is also the number 6 scorer in the entire playoffs despite not being himself. He has half of one of the best scoring duos in NBA playoff history despite not being himself. The Suns are also the only team in the playoffs to have two top ten scorers thanks to Book and Durant despite not being himself.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to add value to KD probably having a roll in Book excelling in these playoffs, if the Suns could have pulled off a trade that did not include Bridges it would be lights out. DA is such trash
I would have been glad to keep Cam Johnson. He would be making a huge difference right now.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would have been glad to keep Cam Johnson. He would be making a huge difference right now.
Part of me didn't want to split the twins up. I wonder had we pressed that part of the trade since they were so intent on Bridges, if the Nets would have let us keep Cam at the end of the day. You could clearly see they were looking for young talent, and they already didn't want Ayton, so slim pickings on who we had to trade. We should have sent Cam Payne and said we were confused on which Cam they meant? :shrug:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of me didn't want to split the twins up. I wonder had we pressed that part of the trade since they were so intent on Bridges, if the Nets would have let us keep Cam at the end of the day. You could clearly see they were looking for young talent, and they already didn't want Ayton, so slim pickings on who we had to trade. We should have sent Cam Payne and said we were confused on which Cam they meant? :shrug:

We should have sent Dario in place of Cam J and Crowder. Crowder of course move elsewhere. Cam J stays.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some explainers about the new CBA agreement from Bobby Marks of ESPN.

I will be quizzing everyone later on how it works. There are some things in here I don't even want to know.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I will be quizzing everyone later on how it works. There are some things in here I don't even want to know.

So it doesn’t affect us until next offeseason?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to include the Bobby Marks video here as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wonder how that works with the markdown of picks? Does it only apply to the ones we get to keep or the traded and/or swapped picks too? That might seem obvious (to not be affected) but what if it's a longterm move to tie a big spender's hands even in trades?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it doesn’t affect us until next offeseason?

This is the reason I will be asking the questions. :)

It seems like part of it kicks in now and part of it later. The above Bobby Marks video probably explains it best.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how that works with the markdown of picks? Does it only apply to the ones we get to keep or the traded and/or swapped picks too? That might seem obvious (to not be affected) but what if it's a longterm move to tie a big spender's hands even in trades?

It sounds like the first round picks the Suns keep will be kicked until the end of the first round?

I wouldn't think this would apply to traded picks because it wouldn't be fair.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm understanding this correctly, should the Suns sign or trade for a player they think they want to keep, it might be wise to lock the player up contractually for a number of years because under the new CBA, they will lose their exceptions under the second tax apron.

Why in the world did the NBA Players Association approve this?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is the reason I will be asking the questions. :)

It seems like part of it kicks in now and part of it later. The above Bobby Marks video probably explains it best.
July 1 to the Start of the 2024 Offseason

Day After the Last Day of the 2023-24 Regular Season

Would seem to indicate it doesn’t go into affect until July 1st 2024

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I think it's talking about July 1st 2023. July 1st 2024 is technically after the start of the 2024 offseason, I think.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have to find a way to stay out of the new CBA as much as possible. It's too complicated for mortals.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the first round picks the Suns keep will be kicked until the end of the first round?

I wouldn't think this would apply to traded picks because it wouldn't be fair.
It wouldn't be fair on past deals but any team entering into a trade going forward would know this and have to devalue the incoming asset which could be their reasoning. I suspect you're correct though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose