Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not happy, he is oooooold...

Gortat/Frye
Scola/Morris
Beasley/Dudley
Mayo/??
Dragic/Marshall/Telfair

Good lord our frontcourt is the opposite of athletic.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Heard that he's also injured:
Scola hurt his right knee tonight. Not many details yet. Only reports available in Spanish @cabboficial (Argentina National Team Twitter)

cabboficial: Scola hizo un mal movimiento y forzó la articulación de la rodilla derecha. Tiene dolor en el lado interno. Mañana en Bs As (sigue)

Scola made a wrong move and forced the joint of his right knee. He has pain on the inner part. More info tomorrow in Buenos Aires.

http://www.cabb.com.ar/home.php
Argentine National Team Home Site

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
6.5 rpg in almost 32mpg is pathetic for a PF he will fit right in with Frye, actually worse than Frye.

Oh yeah and he never blocks shots, fits right in since we have no player that protects the rim outside of some Lopez appearances.

I really really hope he is very cheap, like 2M$ per.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a nice player; I just can't stand his flopping and melted face. Does anyone know how soon can we trade him after claiming him?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The NBA's 30 teams were notified shortly after 5 p.m. ET on Sunday that the Suns won the blind bidding for Scola, which requires interested teams under the salary cap to bid no less than $3 million for this season and $10-plus million for the next three seasons.

yuck

so it is at least 3yrs/13M$ we are paying him

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
6.5 rpg in almost 32mpg is pathetic for a PF he will fit right in with Frye, actually worse than Frye.

Oh yeah and he never blocks shots, fits right in since we have no player that protects the rim outside of some Lopez appearances.

I really really hope he is very cheap, like 2M$ per.

At least $3M this year and $10M over three years. This team is goiing to be so painfully average the next three years, THANK GOD FOR THE CARDINALS

Here is the link: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8168797/phoenix-suns-win-amnesty-auction-luis-scola

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yuck

so it is at least 3yrs/13M$ we are paying him

No I believe the contract in it's entirety has to be at least $10 million, with each year being at least $3.3 million.

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to it. I have no problem with this signing. He isn't great, but he's a solid player worth more than we will probably be paying him (Assuming we are around the $4 million per year range).

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's have some perspective guys. His contract will be roughly half of what Beasley will be making (less than half of what Childress was making). His production at 3 million per year is a huge asset and easy to trade.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, Dragic played with Scola, so maybe he put in a good word for him.

Dragic+Beasley+Scola = approx $18M next year. Without Childress the Suns will still have around $8.5M to offer to a SG while keeping Lopez. Without Lopez the Suns would have $12.5M left to spend. Either way, it doesn't look likely the Suns will have enough cap space next season to go after Harden, unless they make some trades next summer.

If Scola plays well, he may have decent trade value then.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well at least the Childress blunder is put to rest.
In a manner of speaking. The Suns still owe him money, about $21M. I wonder how many trades for "cash" the Suns will make in the next three years to pay his salary.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In a vacuum, I like a lot of the players we've added. Unfortunately, teams just don't win anything of note with a bunch of good players, and we'll be just good enough to not get good draft picks.

I guess the hope would be to develop some of these younger guys and then have trade assets.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In a manner of speaking. The Suns still owe him money, about $21M. I wonder how many trades for "cash" the Suns will make in the next three years to pay his salary.

someone might claim Josh for the minimum bid so they will pay only around 10M$ for Josh.

Still how can anyony get excited about Scola.

He is 6'9, can't jump at all, he is 32, he is banged up, his rebounding was worse than Frye's last year.

Gortat, Scola, Frye, Morris that is the least athletic, worst rebounding and worst defensive frontcourt in the entire NBA by far.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In a vacuum, I like a lot of the players we've added. Unfortunately, teams just don't win anything of note with a bunch of good players, and we'll be just good enough to not get good draft picks.

I guess the hope would be to develop some of these younger guys and then have trade assets.

Exactly, this front office is turning us into the Houston Rockets. I don't think I can take another 36-41 win season and #13-14 draft pick.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's clear that the Suns will not tank, nor do they intend to rely solely on the draft. It seems that they are acquiring assets for possible trades. Harden comes to mind as a target. I'm sure OKC would love to have an actual offensively talented big man like Scola for only $3 million per season.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
his rebounding was worse than Frye's last year
Scola did average over 8 boards a game the prior three seasons. I think last year his rebounding average dipped due to the presence of Dalembert and later Camby. He's got a 7.7 rpg career average.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It's clear that the Suns will not tank, nor do they intend to rely solely on the draft. It seems that they are acquiring assets for possible trades. Harden comes to mind as a target. I'm sure OKC would love to have an actual offensively talented big man like Scola for only $3 million per season.

Too bad you can't trade claimed players for a year I think.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too bad you can't trade claimed players for a year I think.

You're right. From Coon's FAQ:
The waiving team may not re-sign or re-acquire the player for the length of his contract (which includes seasons following an ETO, but does not include seasons following an option), and the claiming team is prohibited from trading the player until the following July 1.
So we could possibly trade him in one of those delayed draft day trades.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I still don't see where it is the Suns have to pay his $10million each year??

67. What is the Amnesty provision?

Amnesty is a one-time opportunity for teams to release one player via the waiver process (see question number 63) and remove him from their team salary and luxury tax computations. For a player to be eligible for the Amnesty provision he must be on his team's roster continuously from July 1, 2011 to the date he is amnestied, without any new contract, extension, renegotiation or other amendment to his contract in the meantime. Players who were waived prior to July 1, 2011 and are still receiving guaranteed salary are also eligible. Teams cannot amnesty players they sign, receive in trade, extend, renegotiate, or otherwise amend after July 1, 2011.
Amnesty can be used prior to the 2011-12 through 2015-16 seasons, although teams may use the provision only once in total -- not once per season. For the 2011-12 season the Amnesty provision was available from December 9-16, 2011. For the 2012-13 through 2015-16 seasons it is available for the first seven days that follow the July moratorium (see question number 101). The waiver period for amnestied players is 48 hours.
Players waived using this provision are not counted in team salary (see question number 14) or luxury tax (see question number 21) computations, except for the following:
  • Amnestied players continue to count toward the minimum team payroll (see question number 15).
  • Amnestied players continue to count toward the players' league-wide revenue guarantee (see question number 18).
As with any other waived player, teams must continue to pay the guaranteed base salary of their amnestied players. The player's full salary comes off the team salary as soon as he is placed on waivers.
Also as with any other waived player, another team may place a waiver claim in order to acquire the player before he clears waivers (see question number 63). But amnesty is different from the normal waiver process in that it allows teams to make either a full or partial waiver claim. When a team makes a full waiver claim it acquires the player, assumes his full contract, and pays all remaining salary obligations (and the waiving team has no further salary obligation to the player). Full waiver claims have precedence over partial waiver claims -- if one team makes a full waiver claim and another makes a partial waiver claim, the team making the full waiver claim is awarded the player. If multiple teams make full waiver claims, the player is awarded to the team with the worst record.
A partial waiver claim is a bid for a single dollar amount. If no team makes a full waiver claim, the player is awarded to the team submitting the highest bid in a partial waiver claim. If multiple teams bid the same amount, the player is awarded to the team with the worst record. When a team is awarded a player via a partial waiver claim, it pays the following portion of the player's salary:
  • The amount of their bid, spread pro rata across all remaining guaranteed years of the player's contract
  • All non-base compensation, such as bonuses
  • 100% of the player's salary in non-guaranteed seasons
The waiving team continues to pay the remainder of the player's salary -- any portion that is not paid by the claiming team. For example, the New York Knicks amnestied Chauncey Billups in 2011 with one year remaining on his contract for $14.2 million. The Los Angeles Clippers submitted the only bid, for $2,000,032. The Clippers paid Billups the amount of their bid, with the Knicks responsible for the remaining $12,199,968. This system (plus the rules for minimum bids, as described below) helps ensure that the waiving team doesn't have to pay the player more than they would have paid had they waived their player without amnesty.
The minimum bid for a partial waiver claim is whichever of the following is larger:
  • The sum of the player's minimum salary for all remaining years of his contract, except for completely non-guaranteed seasons (seasons with 0% salary protection) which are ignored for this purpose.
  • The sum of all non-guaranteed salary in partially-guaranteed seasons.
For example, if a 10+ year veteran is amnestied in 2012 with three years remaining on his contract at $10 million each season, and his salary is guaranteed 100% in 2012-13, 60% in 2013-14, and 0% in 2014-15, then the minimum bid for a partial waiver claim is $4 million -- the unprotected amount in the partly-protected 2013-14 season, which is larger than the sum of the minimum salaries for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons. Since the 2014-15 season is completely unprotected, it is ignored when determining the minimum bid amount.
If instead the above player's salary was 100% guaranteed in all three seasons, the minimum bid amount would be $4,200,178 -- the sum of the minimum salaries for a 10+ year veteran for those three seasons.
In order to submit a bid for a partial waiver claim, the bidding team must have cap room equivalent to the portion of their bid that would be charged to team salary in that season, plus the amount of any likely bonuses (see question number 72) for that season. If necessary, teams can create this cap room by waiving non-guaranteed players, but not by making trades. The team must make the cap room available immediately upon being awarded the amnesty claim.
An amnestied player's Bird clock does not reset when he is awarded to the team with the winning bid. In addition, for the purpose of the non-Bird or Early Bird exception (see question number 25) his prior salary is considered to be his full salary prior to being amnestied. For example, if a player with a $10 million salary is amnestied, claimed by another team for $1 million, and becomes a non-Bird free agent, his team can re-sign him for up to 120% of his full $10 million salary.
The waiving team may not re-sign or re-acquire the player for the length of his contract (which includes seasons following an ETO, but does not include seasons following an option), and the claiming team is prohibited from trading the player until the following July 1.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Great. The guy I detest the most in the NBA is now a Phoenix Sun. Wonderful. Welcome El' Floppo Euro Soccer Flopper.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson