Suns @ Bulls Wednesday game thread, 11-8-2023

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
Am I supposed to be a blind fanboy and ignore how sloppy this game has been in the 4th and OT?

Are you not watching this?
Sorry but the refs were trash tonight. I normally don’t complain about the refs, but it was pretty one- sided tonight. Are you not watching the refs tonight?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The refs weren't that bad outside of not calling anything on the Bulls when they were "defending" the paint. Nurkic was fouled a lot and that wasn't called. KD got it a few times as well.

Thankfully it wasn't an issue in the end and we got the W but it wasn't easy and wouldn't have been if we got a few more calls. We need to be better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well it’s not like we had a major piece playing for the first time tonight. Oh wait…

Beal's performance was very low on my list of concerns.

The defense is bad, the turnovers are insane, the clutch play was terrible. These have been themes so far. Yeah, we have not seen the "big 3" together yet, and I expect that we will need to figure out how to consistently win games when 1 or more are out of the lineup if we want to avoid the play in game. The schedule so far has been really soft... and we're 4-4.

There are legit concerns. The "depth" is a lot worse than projected. The Bulls bench destroyed our bench tonight... and the Bulls bench is freaking terrible.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns up early by 18 and by the end of first half, nearly tied. Pissing away a good lead is concerning, but the Bulls 3-ball was going in.
Horrible second half and the Suns were fortunate to win in OT.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Beal's performance was very low on my list of concerns.

The defense is bad, the turnovers are insane, the clutch play was terrible. These have been themes so far. Yeah, we have not seen the "big 3" together yet, and I expect that we will need to figure out how to consistently win games when 1 or more are out of the lineup if we want to avoid the play in game. The schedule so far has been really soft... and we're 4-4.

There are legit concerns. The "depth" is a lot worse than projected. The Bulls bench destroyed our bench tonight... and the Bulls bench is freaking terrible.
Has nothing to do with Beal’s performance. Do you really think his presence in the lineup didn’t affect anyone else? For all his hate in this thread, this was easily Nurk’s best game as a Sun. EG goes back to the bench for the first time and stinks it up. These can all be attributed to the gravity having Bealnin the lineup brings.

It’s amazing how people talk in such absolutes 8 games into the season.

Last edited:

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Beal was rusty, but his shooting touch will be back. We got into trouble that Yuta and EG couldn't hit anything.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I actually like close games but yall know that - don't care what the other team's record is because it's the NBA - people try to say this or that team should win but teams with lower records beat teams with better records all the damn time - it's not a Phx thing - and it's not that common for a team to go up by 15 right away and stay ahead the whole game - pretty unreasonable to expect that and disrespectful to some of the world's greatest basketball players lol - nothing better than watching the best play the game

Far as Nurk goes - I wouldn't blame some of you if you deleted some of them posts lol - I mean the guy was 2 assists away from a triple double - it's like these preconceived notions and emotions prevent some from even seeing what's happening on the court - this nit picky over critiquing stuff is nuts - he's a much better fit than Ayton scheme wise and he doesn't shrink during crunch time - he makes the defensive play - runs right back to the bucket where he'd gotten mugged the entire night - and he puts the lotion in the basket - damn right he was tired - 20 pts 17 rebounds 8 assists - geez

Anyways - I like where we're at - I don't see any signs of trouble - I think we clean up the turnovers that are kinda expected although not in such large amounts - I see folks wanting a ball handler - no thank you - I'd still like another Big - one thing we've seen so far is Nurk being more than serviceable against European type Centers while the Americans have their way - makes sense - and Eubanks has the heart but not the size - both could use the help

I haven't really looked at turnovers yet - per game - per player - but it felt like last night was one of our poorer performances

Last edited:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m watching the final minutes of the forth quarter and ot of this game and this where the Suns miss 4th quarter Paul. Those turnovers would’ve been points tonight’s and the game wouldn’t have been in OT. Paul would’ve slowed it down, set up the offense, and score on the mid-range. We were looking like the Timberwolves

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The thing about the turnovers-- the ones that KD and Nurk are making especially, those are completely preventable without a Point Guard. They are weak and cross court, no zip at all. Those are simple to pick off. That can be fixed.

And people are yelling for TJ McConnell or someone like that. With Beal, Book and KD, do any of you actually think TJ McConnell is a good enough player to be in the lineup at crunch time in a close game? I don't.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caruso is getting praise for his defense on Durant. There was also a lot of fouling going on that was not called.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Caruso is getting praise for his defense on Durant. There was also a lot of fouling going on that was not called.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Alex Caruso is a defensive savant? Yeah, Steph Noh is a different kind of savant. Sheesh.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
The thing about the turnovers-- the ones that KD and Nurk are making especially, those are completely preventable without a Point Guard. They are weak and cross court, no zip at all. Those are simple to pick off. That can be fixed.

And people are yelling for TJ McConnell or someone like that. With Beal, Book and KD, do any of you actually think TJ McConnell is a good enough player to be in the lineup at crunch time in a close game? I don't.
Agree. Early with a whole new team, we have had a lot of careless TOs, like the pass by Yuta intercepted by Drumand on top of 3pt line. The players have so many new issues to learn while trying to win, such problem is expected. We need a true PG to thread the needles with the subs, that's all.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
We don't need someone who has to be in there at the close of a game when Booker and Beal are available. But we do need someone who can play the point when one (or both) of those guys are injured and/or otherwise unavailable. Goodwin or Gordon aren't cutting it in that role, as we have all plainly seen.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't need someone who has to be in there at the close of a game when Booker and Beal are available. But we do need someone who can play the point when one (or both) of those guys are injured and/or otherwise unavailable. Goodwin or Gordon aren't cutting it in that role, as we have all plainly seen.

That's exactly why I didn't like the Cam Payne trade. Saved a little cash, that's it. Payne was one of the best backup PG's in the league the last 3 years, although his availability was a bit of an issue at times, but he was healthy during each playoff run. Now he's in Milwaukee playing second fiddle to Dame. He was never the type to complain over playing time and was a great bench cheerleader also.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly why I didn't like the Cam Payne trade. Saved a little cash, that's it. Payne was one of the best backup PG's in the league the last 3 years, although his availability was a bit of an issue at times, but he was healthy during each playoff run. Now he's in Milwaukee playing second fiddle to Dame. He was never the type to complain over playing time and was a great bench cheerleader also.
He was critical in our finals run, his injury in the championship series probably put an end to any chance we had.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
EG was in a starting role and we agree, being the primary ball handler as a starter isn’t viable. But from the bench? Especially when one of the big 3 will likely be on the floor at all times?

I think the need for a true point guard is overblown on this board. I’m in the minority, sure, but that’s just my opinion.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am out til Christmas. Wasted enough time on this team.

This is a 4 seed with Booker and a play in without.