Suns @ Bucks Sunday Finals game thread 7-11-2021 - Game 3

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes...my point was that not only is Saric the best defensive option we had behind DA, but he was also a respectable 3-point shooter.
And FWIW, I wouldn't trust Frank making a key post-season 3-pointer... I would trust that Dario would take well-timed shots and drill a few daggers at critical moments of a post-season game.
Craig shot 50.3% from the field and 36.9% from 3-point range this season and was the better defender against athletic guys all season. There is zero reason why Craig can't fill that role. I am more concerned with what comes after if both Ayton and Crowder get into foul trouble. That's where Saric helps you. He becomes that extra body off the bench to spell other guys and use some of those fouls. If Saric hits a couple threes that's icing. Frank has been useless. He is the biggest disappointment to me in terms of acquisitions. I thought he could contribute more.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Craig shot shot 50.3% from the field and 36.9% from 3-point range this season and was the better defender all season. There is zero reason why Craig can't fill that role. I am more concerned with what comes after if Ayton/Crowder get into foul trouble. That's where Saric helps you. He becomes that extra body off the bench to spell other guys and use some of those fouls. Frank has been useless. He is the biggest disappointment to me in terms of acquisitions. I thought he could contribute more.
Craig is definitely the better option, offensively. But I don't see Torrey as a viable option to defend Giannis. That said, if Ayton can somehow stay out of foul trouble, there might not be many occasions when he's off the floor and Giannis isn't. I think if the Suns can ensure that, for the most part, whenever Giannis is on the floor Ayton is as well, we might not have to worry too much about who is defending Giannis...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craig is definitely the better option, offensively. But I don't see Torrey as a viable option to defend Giannis. That said, if Ayton can somehow stay out of foul trouble, there might not be many occasions when he's off the floor and Giannis isn't. I think if the Suns can ensure that, for the most part, whenever Giannis is on the floor Ayton is as well, we might not have to worry too much about who is defending Giannis...
There is no better option to defend Giannis outside of Ayton or Crowder. It doesn't exist on this team. Craig would be your next best option but that doesn't mean it's a good one. Crowder has struggled to stay in front of Giannis at times when guarding him. Really, Ayton is the only person who can effectively try and slow down Giannis. As you stated you have to match Ayton out there with him. That's why Frank is such a disappointment. He can't even guard Lopez. So if you have a 7 footer as part of your front court that can't get on the court because he can't guard Giannis or Lopez?

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have 2 days off. Stick Ayton on a treadmill with film playing showing him his fouls over and over. Get him ready to log all 48 minutes if necessary. He's 22 years old, if he's not in foul trouble it shouldn't be too much to ask of him. He might even get lucky and get to sit in the 4th. We got 2 more days between games 4 & 5. At least there's no travel during this down time, between 3 & 4.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
in other words... he never slowed Giannis down.

reality is that Saric’s loss is felt the most on offense. He provided spacing passing (occasionally at this point in the season) and with Payne playing like crap, our second unit has been sorely lacking the push it made so often this season.
I think we also lose his big body boxing out offensive rebounders.

Bufalay

Reaction score
Saric was able to slow Giannis down? Uh... when? That is as hilarious as every time you quit on the team after they dare to lose a game in the WCF and Finals.
Craig or crowder can try To guard giannis and saric could rebound instead of cam Payne.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nobody bats .1000. And I'm sure that at the time, Jones had valid reasons for making the moves he made, and not making moves some thought he should.
Bottom line, this team, with Saric and not-withstanding their ridiculous youth and lack of post-season play, proved they are good enough to win it all.

True, but this was a grapefruit right down the middle with no attempt to swing...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
True, but this was a grapefruit right down the middle with no attempt to swing...
You often make statements like as if you're sitting chairside with Jones. And please don't quote me reporters stories to support your case. Bottom line is you, and 99% of all reporters, don't know what was in front of Jones as he was making decisions. You don't know if he actually attempted to swing a deal for another big.
And, in the end it doesn't matter at this moment. We have what we have. And what we have, in large part, have been good enough to get this team to within 2 wins of its first ever NBA Championship!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tally Cardinal