Suns at Sixers 1/24/2011

jibikao

Reaction score
At least we beat Knicks... that game matters way more.

Honestly, I can care less if this team loses to losing teams. I only care about quality wins at this point because if we can't beat teams with winning record, then there is no point in chasing for the 8th spot.

jibikao

Reaction score
Why does Vince Carter keep teasing us with those once-a-game drives and power dunks and then goes back to launching (and missing) low-percentage threes? We need him to be aggressive. And we still desperately need a big man who can score inside on consistent basis.

Vince has been this for like the past 5 years? Honestly, I think Vince's basketball IQ isn't very high. He knows how to dunk but he doesn't know how to maximize his skills. He has the ability to drive if he wants to but I just think he plays very lazy. It's like he is trying to avoid injury or something.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I can care less if this team loses to losing teams. I only care about quality wins at this point because if we can't beat teams with winning record, then there is no point in chasing for the 8th spot.

Huh?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I sympathize with Tom Leander waiting ten minutes for one exciting play so he can go ape$hit as though it were the Finals . . . and EJ trying to hold back his criticism on bad play after bad play.

At least they don't disregard the action completely and bore us with their self-promotions as do Daron Sutton and Mark Grace (dumb and dumber) during D'backs TV games.

Well, the Suns are headed home so it will be up to Gary Bender maintain his serious composure win or lose.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That doesn't make any sense. How can we be chasing to get the 8th spot by only winning against "quality" opponents, while getting blown out against losing teams? All regular season games mean the same, either a win or a loss.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
I sympathize with Tom Leander waiting ten minutes for one exciting play so he can go ape$hit as though it were the Finals . . . and EJ trying to hold back his criticism on bad play after bad play.

At least they don't disregard the action completely and bore us with their self-promotions as do Daron Sutton and Mark Grace (dumb and dumber) during D'backs TV games.

Well, the Suns are headed home so it will be up to Gary Bender maintain his serious composure win or lose.

About Tom Leander, what's up with his "ABSOLUTELY!" after Suns' three pointers? Just curious.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That doesn't make any sense. How can we be chasing to get the 8th spot by only winning against "quality" opponents, while getting blown out against losing teams? All regular season games mean the same, either a win or a loss.
I guess that jibikao is saying that he'd rather we miss the post-season than face one of the +.500 teams that we don't expect to beat in the first round.

I root for the Suns to win every quarter, every game, just as I have for 42 seasons. But, truthfully, we don't deserve to sneak into the playoffs.

I can't bring myself to root for them to tank. I'd just rather not witness on national TV us turning opponents' mediocre or undeveloped players into all-stars for a night, as is our reputation.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It takes two to tango. I'm sure we can get rid of a lot of our players for virtually nothing. The trick is getting rid of all our players for SOMETHING. I doubt there's much out there, not for the way our players are playing right now.

So keep on wishing for that big "blow up" to happen. You know what they say about wishes... everybody's got em.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lopez got off to a great start and then when he got the rare opportunity to play in the 2nd quarter and he blew it. Then came out and did nothing in the 2nd half. Now our own announcers are starting to come around on the notion Lopez stinks. In the last couple games, Tom Chambers, Tom Leander and Eddie Johnson have all ragged on Lopez.

Hopefully Gentry is next.

P.S. Is it me or is Nash losing alot of stupid turnovers this season? I have come to expect the ones where he makes a bad pass here and there. However, I have seen Steve get the ball stolen from him more then any time I can remember since he has been here.

Last edited:

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Wow. Not sure what to say about the Suns right now. Looked like they were turning it around a week ago. That Detroit loss was awful and this game just stunk.

They look old, with less talent then they have had in a long time (certainly the Nash era). About half the guys on the floor at any time seem to know what to do and where to go. The rest just look dumbfounded. Most the game is Nash and Hill trying to generate offense in a two-man game for lack of anything better. Nash, Hill and 8 decent bench guys. Vince 'Half-Present' doesn't count (see below).

Yes, Philly has some really nice young talent. That's what stinking up the league for some really long, sad years and drafting well will get you (plus having Elton Brand back and Doug Collins as your coach). But that's not an excuse for a veteran West Conf team trying to make the playoffs.

The problem is more and more Suns opponents fall into one of two categories: quality veteran team that balances offense and defense well (Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, Magic, etc), or young, hyper athletic team full of tall gunners with long arms (Clippers, 76ers, etc). Suns are losing to both now regularly. That means they are both getting old and lack enough talent to match up night in and night out (as much as I dig some of the guys on the team).

Couple more thoughts:

- Vince Carter needs to be traded at the deadline. Forget playing out the season and letting him go. I'm done with this guy. I had some hope the Sun's culture (and Nash) would rub off on him...get the veteran juices going. I even dreamed of a new big three of cagey, now healthy vets between Vince, Nash and Hill gelling with the bench guys and making some noise.

Yeah right. The guy really has no heart. It's half-amazing, half-disgusting. He lights up the Knicks playing in MSG, and phones it in after that when his team desperately needs to win out the trip for seeding and confidence. He had some respectable hustle and defense in Detroit and Washington, so I figured his shot was just off. But he consistently avoided driving to the hoop or any offense creation when the Suns needed it in each game. And then he didn't show at all in the 76ers game. Nash, Hill, Dudley, etc are playing just as hard down 20 as up 10, but Carter is MIA entirely. Unacceptable. Then he's smiling and joking on the bench in the 4th, team still down 20. Forget it. Ship him. The guy is not a Sun.

One thing I have noticed? Nash and Hill ignore the guy on the sidelines and in transition to the huddle. That says a ton.

- I hope the team can move VC and some others for a PF at the deadline. Baring that, it's probably time to Free Nash. I hate to say it....kills me. But I'm not sure the Suns can get enough talent around him this summer to make it any better next year (if there is a next year).

Imagine Nash running a young, talented team like the 76ers? A team that can play D and score inside and out, but is clearly leaderless in tight games? He and a Doug Collins would have them 3rd in the East by the playoffs and put the fear into Miami and Boston.

Ah well. Here's hoping Babby has a genius pre-planned trade all ready for the deadline when Vince and MP become eligible to package with Lopez, etc. Steve Nash and Grant Hill certainly deserve that, to say nothing of the fans.

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Totally agree TB, Carter steps it up when he knows there is more in it for him. Looks like the vets have figured that out. Tonight's game was another loss that hurts, but they did play a little better on the road then expected. We could still have a shot at the playoffs... to get swept. It hurts, hope something happens to spark this club soon.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we'll have a Vince Carter sighting again this friday as we're on national tv against the Celtics. Sigh.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It takes two to tango. I'm sure we can get rid of a lot of our players for virtually nothing. The trick is getting rid of all our players for SOMETHING. I doubt there's much out there, not for the way our players are playing right now.

So keep on wishing for that big "blow up" to happen. You know what they say about wishes... everybody's got em.

I'm pretty sure Nash & Hill can net us something good with the way they have been playing this season.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Wtf does that mean?

If you get blown out by garbage teams but beat good teams....there is something wrong with you.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Nash & Hill can net us something good with the way they have been playing this season.

Hill? Yes as he's a good defender that can fit on pretty much every playoff team

Nash? Not so much. The majority of the playoff teams don't need a PG and he's only good at one end of the court.

Other guys that have trade value and we could actually get a decent return for: Carter and Pietrus (expiring contracts), Frye (4 that extend the defense and has improved his overall game), and Lopez (we'd probably only trade him for a big in return)

Dragic, Dudley, and Gortat have trade value but we're more likely to build around them than trade them

Warrick and Childress are unlikely to get any value due to their contracts

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the game vs the Pistons was the turning point. If they had won, they would have confidence to go above .500 I think, but now they've dropped too far. The team should learn from mistakes, but their chemistry is so bad that every loss hurts it and deepens the wound. This was the only chance this season to do something better imo. It's like they're scared of the .500 mark.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Considering Hill is a bargain, what exactly do you think we can get for him? Even if he was worth something good, we wouldn't be in a position to receive it back because Hill is pretty much a minimum player, whether he plays like it or not.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Considering Hill is a bargain, what exactly do you think we can get for him? Even if he was worth something good, we wouldn't be in a position to receive it back because Hill is pretty much a minimum player, whether he plays like it or not.

You could get a young player with some promise, and/or pick(s). Unless someone comes asking, its not worth it to shop him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When the Suns got KJ, he was a quality young pg buried on the bench behind an all-star pg. If you are looking to rebuild through trades, start looking for those types of situations. I think that was the idea behind the Gortat trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
When the Suns got KJ, he was a quality young pg buried on the bench behind an all-star pg. If you are looking to rebuild through trades, start looking for those types of situations. I think that was the idea behind the Gortat trade.

Joe Johnson fit the same category. The way for those trades to work is for the other team not really to know what they have. Both Johnsons were rookies when the Suns acquired them. But also, the Suns need something that the other team wants. For Kevin Johnson, it was Larry Nance, an All-Star forward who proved to be one of the cornerstones of the Cavs franchise for years to come. For Joe Johnson, it was two role players (Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk) who could help the Celtics with their playoff run.

The Suns obviously don't have any future cornerstones like Nance to trade, because if they did, they'd be keeping them for themselves. As for role players who would be valuable to another team, you have Hill and Dudley and that's probably about it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
As for role players who would be valuable to another team, you have Hill and Dudley and that's probably about it.

When I look at the Suns, beyond Nash, all I see are role players. (Granted, some better than others)

Pietrus was first off the bench and a major contributor for an Orlando team that made it to the Finals. I think he definitely has value to a contender. Although Childress can't shoot, surround him with good shooters, and his value goes up immensely. I guarantee Pop would find a way to make him useful.

Instead, neither can get on the floor for our crap team. What a disaster.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate watching Philly play now, it just kills me to see how much harder Jrue Holiday plays now than he did at UCLA. After he got called out after the WSU loss he just quit on UCLA the rest of the year and now he's a very good young NBA player.

of all the one and dones he was the one that was supposed to be selfless and he was actually one of the ones who really set a program back.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a quote about Nash from an article on NBA.com:

''Do the Suns do right by Steve Nash?: If there's one player any true basketball fan (outside of Phoenix) would love to see traded by the deadline, it's Nash, not Carmelo. The two-time MVP has never gotten a whiff of a title (no thanks to that Robert Horry shove), turns 37 in two weeks and deserves a shot at a ring. You've gotta believe the Suns would trade Nash (despite what they say) if someone makes them a decent offer. Why would they refuse to improve their team? Problem: Nash would only be attractive to a contender, of which only Miami and Atlanta could use help at point guard.''

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a quote about Nash from an article on NBA.com:

''Do the Suns do right by Steve Nash?: If there's one player any true basketball fan (outside of Phoenix) would love to see traded by the deadline, it's Nash, not Carmelo. The two-time MVP has never gotten a whiff of a title (no thanks to that Robert Horry shove), turns 37 in two weeks and deserves a shot at a ring. You've gotta believe the Suns would trade Nash (despite what they say) if someone makes them a decent offer. Why would they refuse to improve their team? Problem: Nash would only be attractive to a contender, of which only Miami and Atlanta could use help at point guard.''

Seems to me that Miami would be a bad fit for Nash. Both Wade and LeBron need the ball in their hands alot. Atlanta would be a great fit for Nash, but we would want something good in return. But they do have some good players to offer in return.

Just don't see how it would work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort