Summer trades?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against Ingram if we helped facilitate a deal between the Lakers and Spurs but I'd prefer Kuzma, he actually fits with what our lineup would be. PG, Booker, Jackson, Kuzma, and Ayton. Of course we'd need a PG still but I'd prefer to fill the hole at PF with one of the Laker's youngsters instead of trying to wrangle in the Lavar show to get Ball as our PG. I didn't care for Ball much before but after reading that latest article where Lavar makes light of his wife's stroke I really want nothing to do with that man in any capacity at all. Lonzo isn't man enough to tell him to piss off so we shouldn't look to add Lonzo to our young core.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Kuzma isn’t going anywhere. He’s a good player in a great contract. If anything it could be a sign and trade with Julius Randle.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against Ingram if we helped facilitate a deal between the Lakers and Spurs but I'd prefer Kuzma, he actually fits with what our lineup would be. PG, Booker, Jackson, Kuzma, and Ayton. Of course we'd need a PG still but I'd prefer to fill the hole at PF with one of the Laker's youngsters instead of trying to wrangle in the Lavar show to get Ball as our PG. I didn't care for Ball much before but after reading that latest article where Lavar makes light of his wife's stroke I really want nothing to do with that man in any capacity at all. Lonzo isn't man enough to tell him to piss off so we shouldn't look to add Lonzo to our young core.
Yeah to me it’s not so much lavar. He’s a loud mouthed jackass. It’s that Lonzo will cowtow to him and it makes me think he likely shares the same misogynistic awful character. I still like lonzo’s talent but his Apple not falling far from its tree is my ultimate concern.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix could be involved in a Leonard deal, however, as a third team facilitator. Leonard reportedly has expressed interest in playing for the Los Angeles Lakers, and the Lakers have enough young assets to potentially satisfy the Spurs. Phoenix could get involved by taking Luol Deng’s contract off the Lakers’ hands – he has two years and $36 million left on his deal – in exchange for one of Los Angeles’ young players. Say, for example, point guard Lonzo Ball.

This much is certain: The Suns will not trade their No. 1 pick for Leonard.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...s-not-deal-no-1-pick-kawhi-leonard/707198002/

This does give some life to the rumor of Ball coming to the Suns though.

Phoenix could be involved in a Leonard deal, however, as a third team facilitator. Leonard reportedly has expressed interest in playing for the Los Angeles Lakers, and the Lakers have enough young assets to potentially satisfy the Spurs. Phoenix could get involved by taking Luol Deng’s contract off the Lakers’ hands – he has two years and $36 million left on his deal – in exchange for one of Los Angeles’ young players. Say, for example, point guard Lonzo Ball.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...s-not-deal-no-1-pick-kawhi-leonard/707198002/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No thanks on Ball.

Mark my words the Spurs will not trade Kawhi in conference

The Celtics could offer Gordon Hayward as part of a trade for Leonard. This would be enticing.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
This does give some life to the rumor of Ball coming to the Suns though.

this is super interesting to me.

if it happens, i believe it needs to be before the draft as that's only way the lakers could get kawhi in the cap before free agency starts (if they also want to sign lebron/PG13). if suns are offered lonzo and deng for nothing, that sounds really enticing, but not because i want lonzo ball on the suns. instead, the #2 pick from last year is now a trade chip for doncic.

i'm seeing a world where doncic makes it known that he won't be happy playing anywhere but for kokoskov. in that scenario, i could see a lonzo, #16, and maybe milwaukee pic/#31 for doncic. that seems like a pretty good deal for someone considering doncic may not want to come over otherwise. this might not happen on draft night, but just thinking about possibilities :)

furthermore, dengs contract runs 2 more years, which is exactly when the suns would have a bunch of cap space coming otherwise - that's the summer to have a big signing if they wait. and in meanwhile, 4 absolute studs (all 21 or younger) to develop.

thoughts?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

if it happens, i believe it needs to be before the draft as that's only way the lakers could get kawhi in the cap before free agency starts (if they also want to sign lebron/PG13). if suns are offered lonzo and deng for nothing, that sounds really enticing, but not because i want lonzo ball on the suns. instead, the #2 pick from last year is now a trade chip for doncic.

i'm seeing a world where doncic makes it known that he won't be happy playing anywhere but for kokoskov. in that scenario, i could see a lonzo, #16, and maybe milwaukee pic/#31 for doncic. that seems like a pretty good deal for someone considering doncic may not want to come over otherwise. this might not happen on draft night, but just thinking about possibilities :)

furthermore, dengs contract runs 2 more years, which is exactly when the suns would have a bunch of cap space coming otherwise - that's the summer to have a big signing if they wait. and in meanwhile, 4 absolute studs (all 21 or younger) to develop.

thoughts?
Do you want this $10,000 or the prize behind curtain #2?

I’d rather trade for a known commodity to go with Ayton and the gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Do you want this $10,000 or the prize behind curtain #2?

I’d rather trade for a known commodity to go with Ayton and the gang.

I made this post from Zion!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thoughts?

If the Suns trade for Ball there is a time restraint for trading him again without waiting several months. So the pieces would have to be in place to make the trade happen.

I'd like the #2 pick but I am not locked onto Doncic.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Celtics could offer Gordon Hayward as part of a trade for Leonard. This would be enticing.

Brad Stevens won't do that to Hayward. He coached him in college they have a long history but they could offer Jaylen Brown, Kyrie, Scary Terry and a number of picks they can put together a ton of different packages

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brad Stevens won't do that to Hayward. He coached him in college they have a long history but they could offer Jaylen Brown, Kyrie, Scary Terry and a number of picks they can put together a ton of different packages

Thinking about it, if I were the Celtics I'd rather have Hayward as well. With the other packages the Celtics will have competition.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against Ingram if we helped facilitate a deal between the Lakers and Spurs but I'd prefer Kuzma, he actually fits with what our lineup would be. PG, Booker, Jackson, Kuzma, and Ayton.

Kuzma is not a PF. Now is not the time to make the concession of playing the young core out of position. The Suns are very fortunate to have a true SG in booker, a true SF in Jackson, and hopefully a true C in Ayton. Tune out all of the noise about how the NBA has become positionless, and stick to the script.

I'd be down with a sign-and-trade for Randle, but the Suns would need more compensation than that, since they could also sign Randle outright if the Lakers decide to move on.

This is fun to talk about, but the Spurs aren't trading Leonard.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Danny Ainge traded Isaiah a few months after he played thru his sister’s death. He DGAF about Hayward’s history with Stevens. Jaylen Brown is much more valuable going forward than the older player coming off a broken ankle.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny Ainge traded Isaiah a few months after he played thru his sister’s death. He DGAF about Hayward’s history with Stevens. Jaylen Brown is much more valuable going forward than the older player coming off a broken ankle.

Or, he traded Isaiah after Thomas made several appearances to declare that he was getting the max and accepting nothing less. Ainge was well aware that "superstar" Isaiah was a product of Brad's system. Knowing that, moving him made a lot of sense. The optics were horrible, given that Thomas gave his all despite injury and his sister's passing but the Celtics GM had to make the smart move regardless.

I think Ainge is willing to make the tough call and not be swayed by public opinion or sports media perceptions. That translates pretty close to heartless so I do think he'd trade Hayward. But in this case, I doubt he'd do it without buy-in from Gordon and Brad as it is likely to alienate his Head Coach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

thoughts?
Ooookaaaaay. I hadn’t even thought of Lonzo becoming another asset to work in a deal to trade up. Now THAT’s fascinating!!!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Or, he traded Isaiah after Thomas made several appearances to declare that he was getting the max and accepting nothing less. Ainge was well aware that "superstar" Isaiah was a product of Brad's system. Knowing that, moving him made a lot of sense. The optics were horrible, given that Thomas gave his all despite injury and his sister's passing but the Celtics GM had to make the smart move regardless.

I think Ainge is willing to make the tough call and not be swayed by public opinion or sports media perceptions. That translates pretty close to heartless so I do think he'd trade Hayward. But in this case, I doubt he'd do it without buy-in from Gordon and Brad as it is likely to alienate his Head Coach.

You’re right but it still makes no sense whatsoever to trade Brown over Hayward. I think Ainge would jump at the opportunity to deal Hayward in a deal for Kawhi if it doesn’t cost someone from the core. Besides Hayward makes the most money on the team.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ooookaaaaay. I hadn’t even thought of Lonzo becoming another asset to work in a deal to trade up. Now THAT’s fascinating!!!
Yes. That is fascinating. I think Orlando might bite on that. But the timing would be odd. LAL would more likely make that trade after the draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re right but it still makes no sense whatsoever to trade Brown over Hayward. I think Ainge would jump at the opportunity to deal Hayward in a deal for Kawhi if it doesn’t cost someone from the core. Besides Hayward makes the most money on the team.

I agree with all this, I just think the cost of trading Hayward might be more than Ainge is willing to absorb right now. Unless he and Brad are already reaching their breaking point?

Thinking of Ainge and trades, I'm reminded of when he sent Antoine Walker to Dallas. At the time, Walker was a regular stat machine and very popular in Boston. Stephen A Smith called him Danny an idiot for giving away their best player and started howling for his head. A few years later Ainge has his championship and is on his way to being considered as one of the shrewdest GMs in the league. How quickly things change. Hope Ryan has a similar turnaround with the fans and media.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe the Suns would be able to trade Lonzo right away if they so choose, regardless of when the deal goes through, before or after the draft, so long as he's the only player the Suns are sending out, he can't be traded in a package of any sort where his salary his combined with others.

The 60 day wait is only to ship him out as part of a larger trade where we'd be sending out multiple players.

Here is CBA info on that. question 101

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

• For two months after receiving the player in trade, if the trade aggregates the player's salary with the salaries of other players. However, the team is free to trade the player immediately, either by himself or without aggregating his salary with other salaries. This restriction applies only to players who were acquired using an exception (and not cap room). (Also see question number 90.)

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No thanks on Ball.

Mark my words the Spurs will not trade Kawhi in conference

I really doubt conference will matter. Kawhi will be a free agent in a year, if he is dead set on playing in LA then he will. Spurs will and should take the best deal they can get, regardless of the source.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I really doubt conference will matter. Kawhi will be a free agent in a year, if he is dead set on playing in LA then he will. Spurs will and should take the best deal they can get, regardless of the source.

They have to trade for him because his cap hit is only 18 mil. Next year as a FA it’d be over 30 mil a year. If Lebron is willing to sign without Paul George they could sign Kawhi next summer but Lebron would be wasting one of his few years left of elite play.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread, a post injury Hayward with his contract would be a big risk that he can return to pre-injury form considering how major an injury it was. If BOS is desperate enough, they will probably offer either Rozier or Brown plus picks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread, a post injury Hayward with his contract would be a big risk that he can return to pre-injury form considering how major an injury it was. If BOS is desperate enough, they will probably offer either Rozier or Brown plus picks.

Broken bones have much better long term outlooks than torn tendons, Hayward should be fine. I remember people thinking Paul George would never be the same when he broke his leg. It's much uglier looking but bones heal fully, it just takes some time. Tendons are never quite the same and you're always worried they'll break again. If Gordon has a few plates and screws in there that part of his leg is probably stronger than the same area of the opposite leg.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I'm San Antonio I want Hayward but that is just me. I view it as a star for star type trade although the Spurs will likely want more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen