Summer trades?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First of all, the Nuggets will be mad that you traded their second round pick without asking. :) But yeah...for 31 and 59 he would be a great gamble. Doubt that gets it done, but who knows....

Can't keep that pick straight. They can be mad, I'll give them 59 to make up for it, a heartfelt apology and a promise to not do it again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we don't like who is available at 16, I'd see if they'd deal. Maybe not agreeing in advance or making the deal contingent on certain players we'd be interested in needing to be off the board. We're looking for a PG, they're not, so it's unlikely we'd be after the same players so I could see something like that working in theory. I'd be for it because we'd have a year with him before deciding whether to pay him or not. It would be similar to the Elfrid Payton trade, try him out before buying him. Problem here is that he was a 2nd round pick so his time as a restricted free agent has come and gone, we'd have his bird rights but what good does that really do when we're talking about a player that should get around the mid level exception? I'd like for the Suns to kick the tires, see what it would cost. No harm there. If they'd take 31 for him, then I'd jump on that and include 58.

I'd just as soon draft a PG at #31 if it came down to this. Although there are a number of talented bigs at the top, this is a PG draft.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd just as soon draft a PG at #31 if it came down to this. Although there are a number of talented bigs at the top, this is a PG draft.

Really? I thought you were one of the first people to mention Dinwiddie as a target. I guess I was wrong though. If there isn't a player we like at 16, turning that pick into Dinwiddie seems like a solid option, IMO. The 16th pick isn't much to give up for a quality PG, which I believe he can be. He is young still and could be here for years to come. I know he can be a free agent after next season but if he fits, pay the man to keep him. If he doesn't? That sucks but at least we're not on the hook for more salary.

He was decent with the Nets and I think his shooting would improve on another team. We're talking about the Nets after all. We may have had the worst record but they have worse talent. We tanked, they didn't. They didn't have their pick so they weren't tanking at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I thought you were one of the first people to mention Dinwiddie as a target. I guess I was wrong though. If there isn't a player we like at 16, turning that pick into Dinwiddie seems like a solid option, IMO. The 16th pick isn't much to give up for a quality PG, which I believe he can be. He is young still and could be here for years to come. I know he can be a free agent after next season but if he fits, pay the man to keep him. If he doesn't? That sucks but at least we're not on the hook for more salary.

He was decent with the Nets and I think his shooting would improve on another team. We're talking about the Nets after all. We may have had the worst record but they have worse talent. We tanked, they didn't. They didn't have their pick so they weren't tanking at all.

I was never against Dinwiddie but I'm not a fan. I would not give up the 16th pick for him and I seriously question giving up #31 for him. I'd just as soon keep Payton if he fits with the team. Also I think Dinwiddie's stats by be a bit inflated playing for the Nets. I wouldn't get upset if the Suns traded #31 for him but I wouldn't be thrilled either.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I mentioned Dinwiddie a few times but more as someone who wouldn't likely be available. I'd prefer Tyus Jones from Minny, who isn't an FA this year. But he will be next year and the Wolves are already under money pressure thanks to Wiggins. If Jones goes into FA they won't be able to match a good offer. He has a 3.9 Ast/TO ratio this year in 1500 mins of PT, shot 3's at 35% (and rising) and has the second highest DRPM score among all PGs. AFAICS Minny isn't hot for a draft pick but #16 might tempt them - they could probably draft a replacement for him, thus relieving some pressure for four years.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could Lonzo Ball be available if LeBron moves to the Lakers and tries to push him out for a point guard of his choice like CP3 or Kemba?

His value has decreased since last year's draft, but he still had a lot of potential especially if he can fix his shot. Would anyone be interested in adding him to our core? Or is the Ball circus not worth it regardless of price?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could Lonzo Ball be available if LeBron moves to the Lakers and tries to push him out for a point guard of his choice like CP3 or Kemba?

His value has decreased since last year's draft, but he still had a lot of potential especially if he can fix his shot. Would anyone be interested in adding him to our core? Or is the Ball circus not worth it regardless of price?

The Ball circus isn't worth it. I could see Lavar trying to say Booker shoots too much and he needs to defer to Lonzo. After saying that, Suns fans would find him after a game or around town and beat him senseless.

The only way I see them moving Ball to the Suns is for Booker or Jackson. They'd need a rookie player in return to maintain their cap space. They'd probably want picks also. No thanks.

Is Ball even an average defender? Would a Ball/Booker backcourt be better or worse than Young/Booker? Offensively the edge is to Booker and Young, defensively I think it's a push. Overall chemistry, Young and Booker would probably have the edge also. Booker is extremely likable and marketable for the Suns. Lavar Ball has made Lonzo hated and I believe his attitude rubbed off to a certain degree. Ball never stood up for his teammates in LA, not when his dad bashed them and not when there was a scuffle on the floor. Not to mention how they'd try to push the Suns to draft Liangelo in the 2nd round. Why add a PG who can't shoot, can't defend, with a lot of baggage? In that case, keep Payton. He's cheaper, comes with less drama, already fits with our core players, and can distribute the ball well.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I would buy all the Ball stock I could find. Ive always been high on him, despite him not being able to create as well as one would hope off the dribble, plus fixing his jumper. The biggest thing to me is just how well he performed defensively.

I would absolutely take Ball over Young. Not even close, IMO.

Ive said it elsewhere, but Ball is the kind of guy Walton can build his system around. Not because he is going to be your go-to, star player. But because he allows Walton to play the way he wants, to move without the ball, to push the pace, the defensive versatility, ect.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would buy all the Ball stock I could find. Ive always been high on him, despite him not being able to create as well as one would hope off the dribble, plus fixing his jumper. The biggest thing to me is just how well he performed defensively.

I would absolutely take Ball over Young. Not even close, IMO.

Ive said it elsewhere, but Ball is the kind of guy Walton can build his system around. Not because he is going to be your go-to, star player. But because he allows Walton to play the way he wants, to move without the ball, to push the pace, the defensive versatility, ect.

His jumper is beyond atrocious. And he is NOT a good defender....

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
His jumper is beyond atrocious. And he is NOT a good defender....

His jumper needs a lot of work.

However, if you dont think hes a solid defender you didnt watch him play. I was completely surprised at how well he performed defensively. I dont put a whole lot of faith into single season DRPM numbers, because there is no context behind them (multiple year spans), but Lonzo finished 3rd among all PGs in DRPM. He was really good off the ball, hitting on his rotations, playing in ball screen coverages, jumping passing lanes and blocking shots with his high quality anticipation, ect.

Saying he wasnt a good defender at UCLA is accurate. Saying he wasnt a good defender as rookie is completely untrue.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

However, if you dont think hes a solid defender you didnt watch him play. I was completely surprised at how well he performed defensively. I dont put a whole lot of faith into single season DRPM numbers, because there is no context behind them (multiple year spans), but Lonzo finished 3rd among all PGs in DRPM. He was really good off the ball, hitting on his rotations, playing in ball screen coverages, jumping passing lanes and blocking shots with his high quality anticipation, ect.

Saying he wasnt a good defender at UCLA is accurate. Saying he wasnt a good defender as rookie is completely untrue.
Agree. This is what surprised me watching him this past season. He was a lackluster defender at UCLA but a real surprise with the lakers. Can’t just color a guy with his reputation prior to entering the league.

I too don’t think Ball is a bust. I mean he averaged 11, 7, 7 as a rookie. He’s never going to be a high volume scorer, but that’s not what you get him for. And

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ball going from weak defender in college to a strong defender in the pros gives me hope for Ayton. There's a big difference between a limited defender like Young and a guy like Ayton for whom things maybe just haven't clicked yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I admittedly didn't watch him too much, nor did I keep up with his numbers.

So Ball is becoming Ricky Rubio. :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ball has a long way to go before he's at Rubio's level. I agree that his defense was encouraging, and he's effective in the open floor, but he's a glaring liability in half-court offensive sets.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
I'd love to understand the cap situation a bit more right now. Looks to me that there's almost $30M of players who'll be on last year of their deal this year and tradeable at the deadline - correct? also, if they are not traded, that cap space immediately goes away in the off-season as Booker takes most all of it - correct? and if they still do nothing major in trades/free agency, then in summer of 2020 there's cap space for a max free agent - correct?

so if that's right, 2 questions-
-who might be available to trade for around the deadline this year?
-who is slated to be a free agent in 2020?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd love to understand the cap situation a bit more right now. Looks to me that there's almost $30M of players who'll be on last year of their deal this year and tradeable at the deadline - correct? also, if they are not traded, that cap space immediately goes away in the off-season as Booker takes most all of it - correct? and if they still do nothing major in trades/free agency, then in summer of 2020 there's cap space for a max free agent - correct?

so if that's right, 2 questions-
-who might be available to trade for around the deadline this year?
-who is slated to be a free agent in 2020?

This years trade deadline is hard to predict at this point because the draft and free agency haven't taken place. It'd be difficult to guess what each teams starting 5 will look like next year, let alone who might be on the trade block. Some teams might struggle and decide to rebuild, some might exceed expectations and look to add a piece or two. There are too many variables to try and predict who might be available with any certainty.

As far as cap space in the summer of 2020, that's still 3 drafts, 2 trade deadlines, and 2 full offseasons away. Way too much can happen in that time. Sure, some contracts will expire that offseason but whether teams sign players to extensions or not before then is too hard to predict. Here's a link to a site that lists contract information. You can see what deals expire then but I wouldn't count on anything being for certain that far out. I'm sure some deals signed this summer will expire then, so they wouldn't be listed yet. Also some younger players will prove themselves in that time and while they may not look great not they could be big time targets that summer. There are way too many variables to try and guess whether the Suns will have cap space then or not either.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2020/

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
This years trade deadline is hard to predict at this point because the draft and free agency haven't taken place. It'd be difficult to guess what each teams starting 5 will look like next year, let alone who might be on the trade block. Some teams might struggle and decide to rebuild, some might exceed expectations and look to add a piece or two. There are too many variables to try and predict who might be available with any certainty.

As far as cap space in the summer of 2020, that's still 3 drafts, 2 trade deadlines, and 2 full offseasons away. Way too much can happen in that time. Sure, some contracts will expire that offseason but whether teams sign players to extensions or not before then is too hard to predict. Here's a link to a site that lists contract information. You can see what deals expire then but I wouldn't count on anything being for certain that far out. I'm sure some deals signed this summer will expire then, so they wouldn't be listed yet. Also some younger players will prove themselves in that time and while they may not look great not they could be big time targets that summer. There are way too many variables to try and guess whether the Suns will have cap space then or not either.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2020/

the trade deadline name that comes up for me looking at salaries is one Blake Griffin. he's got a long-term deal that Detroit may want to get out from under. just absorbing the salary could be the trade along with something or whatnot.

crazy scenario, i know, but not impossible imo to consider something like a lineup to close this year of trae young, booker, jackson, blake griffin, ayton. oy! at least can dream :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the trade deadline name that comes up for me looking at salaries is one Blake Griffin. he's got a long-term deal that Detroit may want to get out from under. just absorbing the salary could be the trade along with something or whatnot.

crazy scenario, i know, but not impossible imo to consider something like a lineup to close this year of trae young, booker, jackson, blake griffin, ayton. oy! at least can dream :)

BLEGH on Blake! We don't need that contract/attitude choking this team's cap and future.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Blake Griffin is on one of the worst contracts in the league. I wouldn't take that contract if they threw in their lottery pick next year and took Knight's deal back. That is just an ugly contract that is virtually untradable. Blake only plays 50-60 games a year, disappears in the playoffs, and is one of those fake tough guys who doesn't play inside the paint. The older he's gotten the further from the basket he plays. Without looking I believe they're on the hook for about $130-140 million over the next 4 years, and he'll be 33 or 34 making $40 million in the last year. No thanks.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I could write 10,000 words on Griffin, but I will sum them up like this:

The Clippers could not afford to let him walk. He is still one of the best passing big men in the game, and is also historically very, very good in that department. His first step is good, hes physical, his jumper continues to improve each year, he is 6'10" and can be the fulcrum of an offense, can create off the dribble, ect.

That said, his athleticism is declining quite a bit, he cant stay healthy, and that contact is going to be an albatross the last two years. I like Blake, I think hes still a really good offensive player, but I told anyone who would listen last summer there was no way West was keeping him around on that deal. The Suns can do better by building organically. Perhaps they never develop a Griffin-like talent, but they also wont have to pay someone that much money who is a declining athlete, a trait which is a big part of his game.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if SA would be open to dealing Dejounte Murray? He would be a good PG to pair with Booker and is a very good defensive PG who can rebound, maybe a good back up?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wonder if SA would be open to dealing Dejounte Murray? He would be a good PG to pair with Booker and is a very good defensive PG who can rebound, maybe a good back up?
No I would be shocked. He was a pleasant surprise for them on a cheap contract. Why would they consider moving him?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I would be shocked. He was a pleasant surprise for them on a cheap contract. Why would they consider moving him?

I don't watch the Spurs much but looking at his stats, I could see Pop wanting better efficiency out of the position. A true shooting percentage of .485 for a guard is scary bad (it was the 2nd worst out of the 17 players on the Spurs roster). But maybe, as with Devin Booker, there were extenuating circumstances that brought down his efficiency?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Phoenix could be involved in a Leonard deal, however, as a third team facilitator. Leonard reportedly has expressed interest in playing for the Los Angeles Lakers, and the Lakers have enough young assets to potentially satisfy the Spurs. Phoenix could get involved by taking Luol Deng’s contract off the Lakers’ hands – he has two years and $36 million left on his deal – in exchange for one of Los Angeles’ young players. Say, for example, point guard Lonzo Ball.

This much is certain: The Suns will not trade their No. 1 pick for Leonard.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...s-not-deal-no-1-pick-kawhi-leonard/707198002/

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No thanks on Ball.

Mark my words the Spurs will not trade Kawhi in conference

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen