Stopping Fitz

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

:shrug:

When Fitz is on his game.......there is really nothing you can do.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Impossible. You can't stop him, but you can keep the ball from going his way by beating up the QB.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
First-- I wish I had a dollar for every message board post by the other team along the lines of: "you stop those WRs by putting Warner on his back". Every week its the same.

That being said -- the consistent theme this year is that teams are playing a ton of "drop 7, rush 4, keep everything in front of you" defense against the Cards.

When Kurt is on -- the Cards do a lot of sub-15 yard passes and have a very efficient ball control offense. When Kurt is off -- you get the Carolina game.

That defense also really works when a defense feels confident that its front 7 can limit the run. This team really needs more Beanie over the second half of the season.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
The problem all these teams have with trying to "put Warner on his back" is that they never cover the checkdown. He just dumps the ball off to Hightower. If they would pressure Timmy whenever they come after Kurt, they may have a little better success. But then again it wouldn't take long for Whiz to fix that one...

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
This cracked me up...

Earlier there was a thread about all-time Seahawk Killers. I think Fitz should be on that list already.

I just hope they lose this guy to FA or something after 2011 (I think that's when his extension is up).

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
That being said -- the consistent theme this year is that teams are playing a ton of "drop 7, rush 4, keep everything in front of you" defense against the Cards

I suppose thats where the running game comes it, we just have to get it going ...i'm not saying we abandon who we are just we add it in the mix, its because we are one dimensional that the rush 4 drop 7 is being so widely used against us. Lets hope the running game was better and it wasn't just the bears (lack of) defence

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not say to hell with it, lets take another tact. Remove a S and put in another Lb whose sole job at the start of every play is to beat on Fitzgerald for 5 yards. Also, on the Cards first possesion, invest a couple roughing calls and hammer Warner.
This one is actually interesting and might have some outlandish merit. Since the cards passing game is quick-hitting, it relies heavily on timing and if Fitz can't get off the line he won't get many looks.

But I wonder if teams have ever thought about putting their best blocker in space out there--a jam is really just a block. Maybe a fullback? I'm only half kidding.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First-- I wish I had a dollar for every message board post by the other team along the lines of: "you stop those WRs by putting Warner on his back". Every week its the same.
So long as the blitz isn't coming from Fitz's side, it might take a lot of looks away from him. Warner's first look on a blitz is going to be right at it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This one is actually interesting and might have some outlandish merit. Since the cards passing game is quick-hitting, it relies heavily on timing and if Fitz can't get off the line he won't get many looks.

But I wonder if teams have ever thought about putting their best blocker in space out there--a jam is really just a block. Maybe a fullback? I'm only half kidding.

Meanwhile Ben Patrick has 8 catches for 105 yards and 2 TDs. :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the thing--no matter what teams do to shut down fitz, it opens something else up.

I think you have to go back to the days of Rob Awalt and Jay Novacek to find a Cardinal TE with over 100 yards receiving in one game.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Honestly... you don't really think a linebacker will be able to keep Fitz from getting off the line, do you?? I would LOVE to see the Hags stick a LB on Fitz!!! Bring it on!!! ;)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly... you don't really think a linebacker will be able to keep Fitz from getting off the line, do you?? I would LOVE to see the Hags stick a LB on Fitz!!! Bring it on!!! ;)
That's not my point. My point is selling out with one player on the jam -- no matter what position that player fills on the roster -- and having a coverage guy over the top.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fitz really is the best WR in the NFL these days!
Most of the so-called "experts" out there would say no, but I can't think of ANYONE on the NFL that I would rather have. Not only is he a HOF receiver, but he is a team player & has tremendous work ethic & character. I wouldn't trade him for anyone, at any position & that includes AP.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife tells me that I have more love for Fitz than one man should have for another

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson