Stephen Drew Thread

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if Drew is better suited at second than short? Seems like could be like Cintron when it comes to fielding. I could see Drew playing second for the Diamondbacks next year.

AZZenny

Reaction score
The field at Lancaster is hard and weird and infielders and catchers do tend to show a hike in errors pretty often (like pitcher's ERAs and batters SLG there) - Drew reportedly looks fine defensively, but he still may be better suited for 2nd than SS.

Montero will in fact go to Tennessee after the Futures Game; it's official.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Drew went 2-4 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI...and 1 error. Montero didn't play.

AZZenny

Reaction score
This week's BA Hot Prospects:

1. Stephen Drew, ss, Diamondbacks (High Class A Lancaster)
The only concern scouts had about Drew was has ability to hit with wood bats, and that concern was based on how little they had seen Drew hit with wood, as opposed to seeing him struggle with wood. Those concerns have been assuaged, as Drew has needed just 19 games to establish himself as one of the best prospects in baseball, batting .378/.471/.865 with eight home runs, 25 RBIs and 21 runs in just 19 games.

6. Miguel Montero, c, Diamondbacks (Double-A Tennessee)
The minor league leader in hits (127) and total bases, Montero finished up his California League stint at .349-24-82 and went 3-for-3 with a home run and the game-winning single in his Double-A debut Monday night.

Conor only makes the 'also in the picture' list, but he's been off most of the past week with all the All-star stuff, so BA is forgiven.

Also from BA:

Who will be the better player between Stephen Drew and Justin Upton? What do you see as their timetables for reaching the majors?

Both Drew and Upton factored prominently into Ask BA's April examination of the brother combinations with the most potential. I chose Justin and his older brother B.J. as the No. 1 sibling duo in terms of upside, and of all the younger brothers discussed, I thought Justin was the most promising.

Drew has been unstoppable since finally signing with the Diamondbacks, batting .378/.471/.865 with eight homers and 25 RBIs in his first 19 games at high Class A Lancaster. While that earned him the top spot on our current Prospect Hot Sheet, I'd still take Upton over Drew.

Upton has yet to sign with Arizona as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, though his holdout isn't expect to linger nearly as long as Drew's did. He might have to move off of shortstop, but then again, scouts have said the same about Drew. Both of them are going to be impact hitters, but I'd give Upton a slight nod in terms of power and speed.

Neither player should require much time in the minors. Drew should join the Diamondbacks for good in 2006, and assuming Upton signs this summer, he could be up at some point in 2007.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We are putting together one heck of a 2007 roster! Jackson, Quentin, Drew, Upton, Montero, Terrero, Green and hopefully Santos. :thumbup:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ActingWild said:
We are putting together one heck of a 2007 roster! Jackson, Quentin, Drew, Upton, Montero, Terrero, Green and hopefully Santos. :thumbup:

I heard they are predicting Upton will be moved to the outfield.

AZZenny

Reaction score
This week's BA Hot Prospects - and for the first time neither Conor nor Carlos is even in the honorable mention group-

3. Stephen Drew, ss, Diamondbacks (High Class A Lancaster)
In 26 pro games, Drew has reached base 54 times, scored 25 runs and driven in 28. Add in more extra-base hits (21) than singles (16) and nearly more walks (16) then strikeouts (19), and you have a budding superstar.

Also:
Special Mention Category

Andy Green, 2b/3b/ss/of, Diamondbacks (Triple-A Tucson)
Quick Quiz: Who has the highest OPS for the Diamondbacks' Triple-A Tucson affiliate? Is it Carlos Quentin's .990? Nope. Ah, it must be Conor Jackson's ridiculous 1.105. Try again. It's Green (1.127). A 2000 24th-round pick out of Kentucky, the 5-foot-9 Green has played five different positions for the Sidewinders and leads the minor leagues in runs (86) and hits (131).

AZZenny

Reaction score
Last night:
Stephen Drew was the only JetHawk hitter with some success at the plate, going 2-2 with a double, 2 walks and scoring the only run. He got picked off twice however and made his 8th error.

Drew SS 2-2, 2B, 2 BB, R, CS (1), E (8 ) (.366)

If Webb had remained ill, the plan was to call up Dustin Nippert from Double-A for one game. Also, Scott Hairston was injured a few nights ago but I haven't been able to track down exactly what happened - but between losing him, Kata, and with Hill called up, Tucson has played with almost no bench by late innings.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:

If Webb had remained ill, the plan was to call up Dustin Nippert from Double-A for one game. Also, Scott Hairston was injured a few nights ago but I haven't been able to track down exactly what happened - but between losing him, Kata, and with Hill called up, Tucson has played with almost no bench by late innings.

Promote Gil to Tucson and give Drew a shot at AA pitchers, he's probably ready for it now. Problem solved. :thumbup:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Past week's numbers for Drew:

Stephen Drew 16-29 (.551), 2 HR, 3B, 3 2B, 9 RBI, 6 R, 5/4 BB/K, 1.548 OPS, 1 E

The Jethawks are in the hunt for their playoffs, and if they look close, he may stay in High A to get them there. Otherwise they may move him to AA, but have to do it real soon- just a month left. My guess is they leave him and just bring him to AZ Fall League. Heh heh.

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sirloin said:
drew will be in AA , for tues. game

(Lancaster, CA) – The JetHawks and the Arizona Diamondbacks announced changes to
the Lancaster roster following Sunday night’s game, including sending INF
Stephen Drew, Arizona’s first round draft pick from the 2004 draft, to the
Tennessee Smokies, the Diamondbacks AA affiliate in the Southern League.

Drew is being promoted to Tennessee to fill the roster spot of INF Jerry Gil who
suffered an injury over the weekend. Going into Sunday’s game, his 37th with the
JetHawks, Drew was hitting .390 with ten home runs and 38 RBI. He had hit safely
in ten consecutive games before his promotion. He also had a 16-game hitting
streak earlier this month. The Georgia native was named California League
offensive player of the week twice earlier this season.

The JetHawks receive shortstop Kenny Perez and right-handed pitcher Kyle Bono,
who were acquired yesterday by the Diamondbacks in a trade that sent former
JetHawks outfielder Jose Cruz Jr. to the Boston Red Sox. Perez, who was a sixth
round pick of the Red Sox in the 2000 draft out of South Miami High School,
started the season in at AAA Pawtucket, hitting .167 in 42 games. He also
appeared in 66 games and was hitting .285 with four home runs for AA Portland.

Bono was an eighth round selection in the 2004 draft out of the University of
Central Florida and was 2-2 with a 4.07 ERA in 24 relief appearances for Class
A Wilmington this season.

The JetHawks continue its current seven-game home stand Monday with a four game
series versus the Inland Empire 66ers. For tickets or information, contact the
JetHawks office at (661) 726-5400 or visit the club’s official website at
www.jethawks.com.

Stephen Drew Lancaster Stats
G AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR
RBI BB SO SB CS GDP
37 .390 146 32 57 15 3 10
38 25 24 1 1 1

Kenny Perez Pawtucket Stats
G AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR
RBI BB SO SB CS GDP
14 .167 42 10 7 2 0 1
5 7 7 0 0 2

Kenny Perez Portland Stats
G AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR
RBI BB SO SB CS GDP 66 .285
253 35 72 9 1 4 28 18
35 7 3 4

Kyle Bono Wilmington Stats
W-L-S ERA GP IP H AB AVG TBF R ER
HR BB SO WP BK
2-2- 0 4.07 24 48.2 39 176 .222 221 29 22
5 32 56 1 0

AZZenny

Reaction score
Yep - it's official. Welcome aboard, Sirloin.

With Chris Carter and Drew both in Tenn, should be some serious slugging. Anyhow, if we have any hope to see Drew here instead of Roycestafarian next year, he has to clamber up the minor league ladder.

Kolo

Reaction score
Zenny, I heard the reason we'd keep Drew at Lancaster is because each AZ Fall League team can/must have one player from A-ball. Do we have to take one from Lancaster/South Bend? If so, (now that Drew's in AA) who?

Thanks. I figure you're the one to ask.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AZZenny

Reaction score
Beat me to it! Actually I'd thought they would move Drew up because of that rule, if they had someone else at A-Ball or (rarely) below they wanted to bring to AZFL.

Right now we'll probably see Drew, Montero, and even possibly Upton if they sign him (PAY THE KID HIS FREAKIN' MONEY! DON'T GO SARVER ON THIS ONE!), or else Chris Carter - or perhaps one of the South Bend position guys, plus usually 3 pitchers from double or triple A.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Beat me to it! Actually I'd thought they would move Drew up because of that rule, if they had someone else at A-Ball or (rarely) below they wanted to bring to AZFL.

Right now we'll probably see Drew, Montero, and even possibly Upton if they sign him (PAY THE KID HIS FREAKIN' MONEY! DON'T GO SARVER ON THIS ONE!), or else Chris Carter - or perhaps one of the South Bend position guys, plus usually 3 pitchers from double or triple A.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Drew Debut in AA

Well, if last night is any indication, AA isn't going to prove much of a challenge for Drew.

3 for 3. 1 double, 1 RBI and 2 walks!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ActingWild said:
Well, if last night is any indication, AA isn't going to prove much of a challenge for Drew.

3 for 3. 1 double, 1 RBI and 2 walks!

Thanks for the research. Go Drew.

AZZenny

Reaction score
BA Hot Prospect Report

1. Stephen Drew, ss, Diamondbacks (Double-A Tennessee)
California League pitchers, you may now breathe a little easier, as the Stephen Drew regime is over. The absolute definition of hitting the ground running, the 2004 first-round pick hit .389-10-39 in just 38 games for Lancaster, with more walks (26) than strikeouts (25).

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Zen, have you heard any rumors of a September call-up?

Look for a report anyday from the Arizona Republic that he MAY be called up.

burndoggy

Veteran
Reaction score
S Drew

at the time i thought this was a bad draft pick, looks like i was really wrong, anyways i now think this kid will be a sep. call up and might even start next year.what do you guys think.