Stephen Drew Thread

AZZenny

Reaction score
June 1 BA predraft column:

The Diamondbacks and Angels are receiving kudos from other clubs for the way they handled the Jered Weaver and Stephen Drew negotiations with agent Scott Boras. Rather than get caught bidding against themselves in a desperate attempt to avoid losing their first-round picks as the May 30 midnight ET deadline approached, Arizona and Los Angeles held firm to offers that had been on the tables for months. In the end, Drew and Weaver decided to accept those offers rather than take their chances in the 2005 draft.

But realize that Boras and his clients didn't exactly lose out in these battles. Yes, they could have concluded their negotiations much earlier and gotten their careers underway. It's also possible that they've delayed their major league free agency and cost themselves big league salary down the road.

Nevertheless, Weaver got the largest up-front bonus in the 2004 draft and the seventh-largest in draft history at $4 million. Drew signed a major league contract that guarantees him $5.5 million—the largest deal in the 2004 draft and the eighth-largest in draft history. With easily attainable incentives, his pact could reach $7.5 million.

Boras didn't get Mark Prior money ($10.5 million) for Weaver or Mark Teixeira cash ($9.5 million) for Drew, but he didn't get smoked either.

How does Justin Upton compare to B.J. Upton as a draft prospect, not as of today but at the same stage of their career? I'm curious how Baseball America ranks the 2005 Justin Upton against the 2002 B.J. Upton. Like Justin this year, most people had B.J. as the consensus top prospect for the 2002 draft. Mike Marinaro
Tampa

Three years ago, B.J. Upton occupied the No. 1 spot on our list of prospects for the 2002 draft, just as Justin Upton tops our Top 200 list for the 2005 draft. Justin has been hyped for almost as long as B.J., emerging as a top candidate for the 2005 draft when he was a sophomore in high school.

As you might suspect, the brothers were very similar coming out of high school. Both were listed at 6-foot-2, with Justin outweighing B.J. 187 to 170 pounds. Justin is a little better prospect than B.J. was, but we're talking about the slightest of edges. Both impressed scouts with their athleticism and top-of-the-line arm strength, but Justin is maybe a step quicker.

The biggest difference is that there were some very minor concerns about how much power B.J. would have, because he was more wiry than strong. Obviously, that's not a worry at this point, and last year he became the first teenager to homer in the majors since Aramis Ramirez and Adrian Beltre in 1998. Justin is more advanced at the plate than B.J. was, and less projection is required with his power.

Though B.J. has struggled with his defense as a pro, particularly his throwing and footwork, there wasn't any talk of that in 2002. Justin has had similar difficulties in high school, and they've been discussed at length this spring. Many clubs would shift him immediately to center field, where one scouting director says Justin could blossom into a big league all-star within two years. B.J. may have to move as well, though the Devil Rays have kept him at shortstop for now.

B.J. went second overall to the Devil Rays three years ago, and Justin is the favorite to go No. 1 to the Diamondbacks next Tuesday. They're in line to become the highest drafted brothers in draft history, passing Dmitri (No. 4 to the Cardinals in 1991) and Delmon (No. 1 to the Rays in 2003) Young.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that NickelBack. Great to see him off to a quick start! :)

2-3 with 2 walks...very nice.

AZZenny

Reaction score
BA, 06/08/05:

As the Diamondbacks welcomed No. 1 pick Justin Upton into the fold yesterday, their first-rounder from last season made his debut in the system at high Class A Lancaster after ending a year-long holdout.

But it's probably a night Stephen Drew will want to put behind him, despite going 2-for-3 with two walks and a pair of runs scored in the JetHawks' 6-5 win against Bakersfield.

During Drew's brief tenure with Camden in the independent Atlantic League, the Riversharks averaged 3,380 fans a game, but fans didn't come out in droves to see the shortstop in Bakersfield--just 763 showed up.

And the only reason the 763 in attendance were interested in Drew was simple: he was the designated "beer batter" of the night. If Drew struck out--which he did in the sixth inning--fans were treated to $1 beers within a 15-minute time frame.

According to the Los Angeles Daily News, a few Lancaster fans cheered when Drew recorded his first hit, but the entire crowd erupted after the strikeout, then immediately left the stands and headed for the concession area.

Drew, a former Florida State shortstop, signed a five-year big league contract with the Diamondbacks, who took him 15th last year. He will receive a $4 million bonus over to be paid over four years and is guaranteed a minimum of $5.5 million.

Mind you, this was not a home game. Lancaster usually draws a bit better than that. But I love that he was the 'Beer Batter.'

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Mind you, this was not a home game. Lancaster usually draws a bit better than that. But I love that he was the 'Beer Batter.'

I was gonna say....

That's hilarious, though.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
BA, 06/08/05:

As the Diamondbacks welcomed No. 1 pick Justin Upton into the fold yesterday, their first-rounder from last season made his debut in the system at high Class A Lancaster after ending a year-long holdout.

But it's probably a night Stephen Drew will want to put behind him, despite going 2-for-3 with two walks and a pair of runs scored in the JetHawks' 6-5 win against Bakersfield.

During Drew's brief tenure with Camden in the independent Atlantic League, the Riversharks averaged 3,380 fans a game, but fans didn't come out in droves to see the shortstop in Bakersfield--just 763 showed up.

And the only reason the 763 in attendance were interested in Drew was simple: he was the designated "beer batter" of the night. If Drew struck out--which he did in the sixth inning--fans were treated to $1 beers within a 15-minute time frame.

According to the Los Angeles Daily News, a few Lancaster fans cheered when Drew recorded his first hit, but the entire crowd erupted after the strikeout, then immediately left the stands and headed for the concession area.

Drew, a former Florida State shortstop, signed a five-year big league contract with the Diamondbacks, who took him 15th last year. He will receive a $4 million bonus over to be paid over four years and is guaranteed a minimum of $5.5 million.

They used to have dime beers during the 7th inning stretch at Phoenix Muni. You could walk up and buy 10 beers for a dollar on a tray. They were in 8oz. cups but still.

And that was AAA.

AZZenny

Reaction score
06/11: Stephen Drew had three hits and drove in four runs as the
JetHawks downed the Visalia Oaks 13-3 on Friday night at Recreation Park in Visalia. With the win, the JetHawks improve to 34-28 on the year and move back into a tie for first place in the South Division.

Lancaster put together five hits in the first inning to score four runs and jump out to an early lead in the game. Miguel Montero drove in two runs with a double. Drew also doubled in a run in the inning.

With a 5-2 lead in the seventh, the JetHawks broke the game open. Montero and Chris Carter open the inning by hitting back-to-back home runs. After Drew singled, Jeff Cook tripled home another run. Cook then came home on Edgar Varela’s RBI single.

The JetHawks then added three more runs in the eighth. With Montero and Carter aboard, Drew tripled home both runs, to give him a season high four RBI on the night.

Garrett Mock (5-4) allowed two runs and struck out eight over six innings to win his fifth game of the year for the JetHawks.

Montero is a stud! Miguel Montero is going to his first All Star Game, and is one of the two catchers selected to the team. Montero, who has not missed a game yet this
year, leads the JetHawks with a .363 batting average, 16 home runs and 60 RBI this season. His 88 hits are the most in all of minor league baseball, and his 161 total bases are the most for any left handed hitter in minor league baseball. Earlier this year, Montero had a 19-game hitting streak, the second longest hitting streak in franchise history.

Garrett Mock, will also be going to his first All Star Game. The Diamondbacks' third round draft pick in the 2004 draft is 5-4 with a 4.04 ERA this season, and will be part of a very talented pitching staff. Mock has allowed 37 earned runs in 82.1 innings of work this season. He has also struck out 78 and walked only 15 in his 13 starts this year.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Gentlemen.. Please, I don't see how some of you compare CarlosorConor with
Stephen Drew, especially now. CandC were starters and solid multi-faceted players in the 6PAC[is it stillcalled that?], Drew, FlaSt. was the consensus #1 position player in the entire 2004 draft, according to BaseballAmerica. Let us not, Gentlemen, put S.Drew or especially J.Upton into any sort of catagories that limit what a star of the their potential may look like to us.. I heard names being thrown around J.Upton potentially, like Ken GriffeyJr, Gary Sheffield, BAmerica was stating that he would have, if mostly injury free, a Hall of Fame Career.. We have never had home-grown talent like these two players before.. Let us sit back and enjoy the ride..... :thumbup: :thumbup:

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

By the way:

As of 06/11 G AB R H 2b 3b HR RBI W SO
S.Drew- 5 19 7 8 1 1 1 6 4 5

OBP Slugging BA Errors
.542 .737 .421 1

Wow Whoever mentioned about Miguel Montero, he's been at Lancaster the whole year, 257 AB's and he's batting .358, slugging.630

AZZenny

Reaction score
Gentlemen.. Please, I don't see how some of you compare CarlosorConor with Stephen Drew, especially now.

First of all, that's "Ladies and gentlemen."
Second, your supercilious tone is already tiresome. You're the only person comparing Drew with Conor/Carlos. I (for one) have just been saying Conor isn't dog meat and you're foolish to imagine he is, or to pose a straw man argument like 'we have Drew, we should trade Conor.' They aren't in competition, probably never will be - they play different positions, roles, and have very different strengths. Upton and Santos may be competing with Drew at some point, but so what?

Carlos Quentin is a better rated out of the shute prospect than Conor. Drew is considered a superior all around prospect to either of them. No one has said otherwise. Upton is considered far superior to Drew. Who ends up with the best big league career - only time will tell; great prospects don't always fulfill their wished-for potential.

Most of us are thrilled we now have 4 outstanding, almost-can't-miss position prospects; we don't see the enjoyment in denigrating one to the benefit of another. Let them play, and let's hope all 4 make it to the big club by 2007-2008.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Second, your supercilious tone is already tiresome. You're the only person comparing Drew with Conor/Carlos. I (for one) have just been saying Conor isn't dog meat and you're foolish to imagine he is, or to pose a straw man argument like 'we have Drew, we should trade Conor.' They aren't in competition, probably never will be - they play different positions, roles, and have very different strengths. Upton and Santos may be competing with Drew at some point, but so what?

Carlos Quentin is a better rated out of the shute prospect than Conor. Drew is considered a superior all around prospect to either of them. No one has said otherwise. Upton is considered far superior to Drew. Who ends up with the best big league career - only time will tell; great prospects don't always fulfill their wished-for potential.

Most of us are thrilled we now have 4 outstanding, almost-can't-miss position prospects; we don't see the enjoyment in denigrating one to the benefit of another. Let them play, and let's hope all 4 make it to the big club by 2007-2008.

:thewave:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
AZZenny said:

So the new pecking order is?

1. Upton
  2. Drew
  3. Jackson
  4. Quentin
  5. Santos

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Ill let an expert handle this one.

Q: rich from michigan asks:
why quentin over jackson?

A: Kevin Goldstein: An excellent question, and the most common one I've gotten. For the most part, it came down to this. Overall, there's very little different in their offensive projection. I think they'll both hit for average, with Quentin showing more power and Jackson reaching base more. The difference is that Quentin is a plus rightfielder, while Jackson is a subpar (very subpar) left fielder, who probably needs to be moved to first.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/chat/050214kg.html

The two are pretty close, with Jackson projecting to have a higher average, but Quentin with more power and being a much better fielder.

Also, dont put too much stock into this years numbers. As you can see, the two have been kind of had a seesaw battle to who has the best minor league numbers the last three years.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/conor_jackson.shtml
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/carlos_quentin.shtml

Last edited:

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
devilalum said:
So the new pecking order is?

1. Upton
  2. Drew
  3. Jackson
  4. Quentin
  5. Santos

Just think, in about 1-3 how goodwe will be......

Kolo

Reaction score
From today's Daily Dish on BA:

• The one knock on Diamondbacks shortstop Stephen Drew entering the 2004 draft was that scouts had rarely seen him swing a wood bat. Those concerns have been all but obliterated in just six games at high Class A Lancaster. Drew, the 15th overall pick last year who signed just prior to the signing deadline, has gone 10-for-24 with two home runs and four walks for the Jethawks, adding nine runs scored and eight RBIs.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Future looking brighter and brighter! Now sign Upton without a load of hullabaloo, and start sorting out the future positions of our several studly young players. I imagine Drew will be at Tucson fairly soon - like in a month or two. Don't sprain anything, Royce...

Stephen Drew Named Offensive Player of the Week
First JetHawks Player to be Honored by California League in 2005

(Lancaster, CA) - The California League and the Lancaster JetHawks announced on Monday that Lancaster shortstop Stephen Drew has been named the California League Offensive Player of the Week for June 6-12. Drew is the first JetHawks
player to earn the weekly distinction from the league.

The left handed-hitting middle infielder launched his Diamondbacks career on Tuesday with a 2-for-3 effort capped by scoring the winning run in the top of the ninth inning against the Bakersfield Blaze. As the week progressed, the
2004 first round pick heated up. He went 3-for-5 with a double, triple, three runs, and four RBI on June 10. He found his power stroke in the final two games
of the week, with a pair of hits and a home run in each game against the Visalia Oaks on Saturday and Sunday.

Overall, the former Florida State star hit .417 with four multi-hit games, 10 runs, and eight RBI in his first six games. He led the league in runs with nine, tied for second in home runs (two), was third in RBI (eight) and slugging percentage (.792) and tied for seventh in average (.417). For the week, Drew
had a .517 on-base percentage.

With the JetHawks in the midst of a tight first-half race, one game behind the Lake Elsinore Storm for first place in the California League South Division standings, Drew will make home debut on Tuesday at Clear Channel Stadium at Lancaster, CA. The JetHawks return home to end the first half with a six-game homestand against the Bakersfield Blaze and Visalia Oaks.

Oh yeah - add to our list of intriguing prospects being followed closely by BA, Carlos Gonzalez, South Bend Outfielder.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
projected line up in 3 years

ok im going to throw up a projected line up and you tell me if there are changes you would make........

1.Upton(cf)-I know he can hit for high power but if he really is as fast as they say he is (faster than juan pierre?) this guy could be the prototype leadoff guy for the future.
2.Drew (2nd)-I think drew will eventually be moved to second where he has a chance to be the second coming of jeff kent
3.Glaus (3rd)-nuff said
4.Jackson (1st)-I like his run production ability
5.Quentin (lf) these two could be flip flopped but either way we have a rough 1st 5
6.Santos (ss)-alot of people have been down on him lately but he is supposedly built like A rod and has all the numbers prior to this year
7.Green, Terrero, Hairston, Tracy(rf)-one of these guys is going to develop, right?
8.Snyder/Hill(c)-i love snyders defense and i see him being a mike matheny guy for ten+ years
9.Pitchers spot
Now that is a lineup that rivals those mashers in Texas! The drew debut news is also VERY encouraging. I need feedback because all my sports time has been invested in the suns and my excitement about the upcoming cards season, so feel free to inject any wise input any of you might have.....

Kolo

Reaction score
Another corner outfielder making noise--per Daily Dish:

• Diamondbacks Carlos Gonzales is starting to translate his unquestioned tools into performance. Gonzales, a 19-year-old Venezuelan, is hitting .460-3-11 during his current 12-game hitting streak at low Class A South Bend, batting .313/.352/.454 on the season in 249 at-bats and tied for the Midwest League lead with 44 RBIs.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison