Stephen Drew Thread

AZZenny

Reaction score
See the thread "Lou's Views" for this discussion. Suffice it to say there are even more impressive young guys in the pipeline competing for outfield, catcher, 3B.

Kolo

Reaction score
Today's Propect Hot Sheet on BA, I think the best we've shown this year:

8. Drew
13. Jackson

In the Team Photo--

Carlos Gonzalez
Miguel Montero
Agustin Murillo

If only we could see a few of our pitchers on the list.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I think a couple weeks back Carlos and Conor were 5 and 6 maybe, but in terms of quantity on the list - yeah - looking good.

I'm surprised AJ "Promote Me" Shappi hasn't made their list yet. He's really looking good. Maybe they don't respect finesse pitchers - they seem to praise the power guys mainly.

Austin Shappi: Individual Stats (Pitching)

South Bend Silver Hawks W 10 L 1 ERA 2.61 G 13 GS 13 CG 2 SHO 0 SV 0 IP 89.2 H 85 R 30 ER 26 HR 5 BB 14 SO 56

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
AZZenny said:

I'm surprised AJ "Promote Me" Shappi hasn't made their list yet. He's really looking good. Maybe they don't respect finesse pitchers - they seem to praise the power guys mainly.

Austin Shappi: Individual Stats (Pitching)

South Bend Silver Hawks W 10 L 1 ERA 2.61 G 13 GS 13 CG 2 SHO 0 SV 0 IP 89.2 H 85 R 30 ER 26 HR 5 BB 14 SO 56

I think Shappi will be a Lance Cormier type of pitcher... one that can't start in the majors because their velocity isn't high enough, but might make a nice reliever.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I looked up the 6/15 boxscore for Lancaster and saw the Drew didn't play. Is he hurt or did he get promoted?

AZZenny

Reaction score
uh oh - this follows his rep for a bit of injury-proneness. Hope someone takes a look at his conditioning and flexibility.

burndoggy

Veteran
Reaction score
is drew injured?

i havent seen him in the lancaster boxscore lately,very injury prone in college anybody know if he is hurt.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
schillingfan said:
Stephen would appear to take after his brother J.D. in that regard.

This is the only thing that really concerns me about Drew... he can play, but does he have the desire to play?

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's baaaack!

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3186357

(Lancaster, CA) - Stephen Drew collected two hits, including his third home run of the year, for the JetHawks in his first game back from the disabled list on Thursday night. However, the JetHawks dropped a 10-7 decision to the High Desert Mavericks at Clear Channel Stadium at Lancaster, CA. The loss drops the JetHawks to 0-7 in the second half of the season, and 37-40 overall.

The loss also extends the JetHawks losing streak to a season-high eight games. Lancaster scored three times in the bottom of the first inning, and led 4-2 after two inning of the game. Drew collected the first of his two hits in the first inning to drive home a run. Brian Rose also drove in run in the first for the JetHawks.

The Mavericks put three hits together to score twice in the top of the fifth to gain the lead for the first time in the game. Bernard Stephens drove a run home with one of his three hits in the game. The other run in the inning came in on a sacrifice fly by Angel Sanchez.

Lancaster would regain the lead in the bottom of the fifth as Drew hit his third home run of the year. Chris Carter, who had doubled just ahead of Drew's home run also scored.

High Desert scored five runs over the final three innings to put the game away. Alan Moye had three hits, including two home runs, and three RBI in the win for the Mav's.

Matt Chico worked the first five innings for the JetHawks, and although he allowed five runs, he had a no decision in the game. Billy Biggs (2-5), allowed two runs (one earned) and was charged with the loss.

The homestand continues on Friday as the JetHawks open a two game series against the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes. Garrett Mock will make the start for the JetHawks and James Holcomb will go to the mound for the Quakes in the 7:00 P.M. game. Friday is also Team Poster Giveaway night sponsored by AMR with the first 1,000 fans in attendance receiving a 2005 Lancaster JetHawks Team Poster. For tickets or more information, please call 661-726-5400 or visit www.jethawks.com.

Drew was 2 for 5 with a double, Home Run and 3 RBIs

Attachments

• Drew.jpg
    Drew.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 488

AZZenny

Reaction score
Drew also made a bases-loaded 2-out error allowing 2 runs to score in the 7th.

Meanwhile, hate to say it, but BA reports the Justin Upton discussions are moving very slowly due to Upton's agent taking his own sweet time. Rizzo apparently has said categorically Upton will only get a minor league contract, unlike Drew*. That's fine, I guess, given his age and need for development, but on the other hand, they gave Drew a $5.5 M contract and Upton is by all accounts a much better talent. The team established a precedent for a guy playing the same position who wasn't the #1 pick overall - so, suck it up, Kendricks. You made the bed, now lie in it. Pay Upton HIS $5.5 M, add some incentives, and get him on the field. NO MORE MELODRAMA!

*Drew is NOT on the 40-man roster, still, although playing - so I must be confused about what is meant by a 'Major League Contract.' Maybe it just means salary, perks, etc.?

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Drew also made a bases-loaded 2-out error allowing 2 runs to score in the 7th.
AZZenny said:

Meanwhile, hate to say it, but BA reports the Justin Upton discussions are moving very slowly due to Upton's agent taking his own sweet time. Rizzo apparently has said categorically Upton will only get a minor league contract, unlike Drew*. That's fine, I guess, given his age and need for development, but on the other hand, they gave Drew a $5.5 M contract and Upton is by all accounts a much better talent. The team established a precedent for a guy playing the same position who wasn't the #1 pick overall - so, suck it up, Kendricks. You made the bed, now lie in it. Pay Upton HIS $5.5 M, add some incentives, and get him on the field. NO MORE MELODRAMA!

*Drew is NOT on the 40-man roster, still, although playing - so I must be confused about what is meant by a 'Major League Contract.' Maybe it just means salary, perks, etc.?

Ouch, didn't know about the error. Still, nice offensive game coming off an injury.

Totally agree with you on Upton...kid's supposed to have even more potential than Drew and was the #1 pick. Give him the contract and let's get him going!

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I heard that Upton's agent was having personal issues.. family and such. But I could be wrong.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have there been anymore draft picks that have signed with the D'backs. Does anyone know if that guy Brett Jacobson is going to sign or go to college?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Drew apparently had two more E tonight, now 4 in 11 games or thereabouts. That surprises me - not supposed to be one of his weaknesses. I imagine adjusting to every day playing and a much faster-paced game is a little tough. His bat isn't lagging, on the other hand, hitting around .364.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hey offense and more impressively of late...

...no errors!

Drew went 2 for 5 again. Both of which were 2 run dingers.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Drew went 2-4 last night with another homer and no errors. He's batting .382 now, slugging .855 and his OBP is .469. :thumbup:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just might be a late seaon call up if we are out of it if he keeps this up, I know it is jsut advanced A, but with what he signed for and they say he is hitting the ball, I think he goes straight to AAA and then here before you know it. They did say he was the most major league read player in the draft.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I still imagine they will try to move Santos and let Drew go to Tucson next. He could be - and probably should be - our starting SS next season.

AZZenny

Reaction score
From someone who spends ALL their time following our minors (as far as I can tell):

Montero finished the day 3-4 with a double and 2 runs scored. Drew was 2-4 with a homer, a double and 3 RBIs. With the Double A Tennessee Smokies going into their All-Star break soon, don't be surprised to see Drew and/or Montero on their roster after the break.

Also we are in the process of signing Micah Owings, one of our 3rd rounders, who has already reported to Jethawks and will reportedly spend this season out of the bullpen at Lancaster - although he was both a #1 starter and a 1B/DH in college. Interesting. Wonder if they're fantasizing Huston Street or something.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Drew is on some type of incredible tear. Another home run last night like you said and the night before he had another. I think you're right, Montero and Drew won't be around in Lancaster much longer. :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard