Spider-Man: Homecoming

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marisa Tomei to Play Aunt May in New ‘Spider-Man’ Movie

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/marisa-tomei-spider-man-1201536080/

Now that Marvel and Sony have found their Peter Parker, the focus has turned to the aunt who raised him.

Sources tell Variety that Marisa Tomei is the choice to play Aunt May in the next installment of the “Spider-Man” franchise.

Sony and Marvel had no comment on the casting.

While insiders could not say where things stood in the deal-making process, they said an offer was made late last week for the Oscar-winning actress to join Tom Holland, who was recently tapped to play the webslinging superhero.

Marvel and Sony recently hand-picked Holland to play Spider-Man after months of meetings and screen tests with eager young actors, in addition to selecting “Cop Car” helmer Jon Watts to direct the pic.

The studios are still in the process of finding a writer to join Watts in the screenwriting process, but insiders explained that the top brass also wanted to lock down other actors who would appear in multiple films so schedules could be worked out before shooting commences next year.

Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal will produce the pic, and though Holland is expected to first appear in “Captain America: Civil War” in a cameo appearance as Parker, it seems more likely that Tomei will not appear until the first “Spider-Man” film bows on July 28, 2017.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spider-Man Script to be Written by the Vacation Directors

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/462757-spider-man-script-to-be-written-by-vacation-directors

John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein are in talks to write the Spider-Man script, according to THR. Daley and Goldstein were actually among the finalists for the Spidey directing job before it went to Jon Watts (Cop Car). The duo’s Vacation, which they wrote and are making their directorial debut on, will open in theaters on July 29. They previously worked on Horrible Bosses and its sequel, as well as The Incredible Burt Wonderstone and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I trust Marvel but am I the only one not excited about the casting, directing and potential writing choices here?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I trust Marvel but am I the only one not excited about the casting, directing and potential writing choices here?

These are not decisions made purely by Marvel. Much of it is SONY.

The reason for the delay in announcing who would play Spider-Man was a disagreement in casting between Marvel and SONY. Tom Holland was SONY's pick - not Marvel's.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are not decisions made purely by Marvel. Much of it is SONY.

The reason for the delay in announcing who would play Spider-Man was a disagreement in casting between Marvel and SONY. Tom Holland was SONY's pick - not Marvel's.

Did I miss that in one of the articles you posted? I just skimmed. I was under the impression Marvel was heading up those types of decisions with input from Sony.

Either way...not to excited about the choices up to this point.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I miss that in one of the articles you posted? I just skimmed. I was under the impression Marvel was heading up those types of decisions with input from Sony.

Either way...not too excited about the choices up to this point.

Here it is:

Asa Butterfield is out. Search still on for new Spidey. Marvel and Sony unable to agree so far.

Why The New Spider-Man Casting Is Taking So Long

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Spider-Man-Casting-Taking-So-Long-72012.html

Production on Joe and Anthony Russo's Captain America: Civil War has begun, and while the movie has an absolutely stacked cast of Marvel all-stars, there is one key character still missing. It was a few months ago that we learned that Spider-Man would be making his Marvel Cinematic Universe debut in the 2016 blockbuster, but to this point the folks in charge of that decision have not yet been able to actually make one. So what's going on? If new reports are accurate, then the key issue is a on-going debate between Marvel Studios and Sony about the direction that the franchise should go in.

This past Friday is was said that long-time frontrunner Asa Butterfield is out of the Spider-Man race, leaving a group of other potential candidates vying for the position, and the folks at Meet The Movie Press say that the reason casting the role has been taking so long is because Marvel Studios' people and Sony's people aren't seeing eye-to-eye on the decision. As such, it's even a little unclear who the new top candidate is because the two companies like two different people. According to the podcast's sources, the folks at the comic book giant like Boardwalk Empire actor Charlie Plummer for the part, while the home of the last two wall-crawler franchises likes The Impossible's Tom Holland.

I am not a fan of these two companies trying to share a property. I wish Marvel had full control.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here it is:
I am not a fan of these two companies trying to share a property. I wish Marvel had full control.

100% agree. They way they were telling it before was that Marvel had creative control where Sony had distribution rights.

This stinks. Honestly, the more Sony meddles the less likelihood of success this is going to have. These choices have definitely tempered any enthusiasm for now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Spider-Man Script to be Written by the Vacation Directors

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/462757-spider-man-script-to-be-written-by-vacation-directors

John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein are in talks to write the Spider-Man script, according to THR. Daley and Goldstein were actually among the finalists for the Spidey directing job before it went to Jon Watts (Cop Car). The duo’s Vacation, which they wrote and are making their directorial debut on, will open in theaters on July 29. They previously worked on Horrible Bosses and its sequel, as well as The Incredible Burt Wonderstone and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

I'm not too keen on the directors of some steaming pile of remake trying to bring Spidey back in a good way.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't wait for the full blown trailer. Although I admit I was NEVER a fan of the "winged" Spiderman design. I hated it as a kid.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't wait for the full blown trailer. Although I admit I was NEVER a fan of the "winged" Spiderman design. I hated it as a kid.

I am completely old school. I want mechanical web shooters and no underarm webs. Bleh.

Stout

Reaction score
Wow, looks great. Normally I'm against remakes and retreads, but this is Marvel getting their hands on the character. I'm excited to see what they do.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Given that I have hated every spidey film so far, I will be cautiously optimistic.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow, looks great. Normally I'm against remakes and retreads, but this is Marvel getting their hands on the character. I'm excited to see what they do.
Really? I thought it was fairly generic with some funny comic relief by RDJ. Also cautiously optimistic, but I also think Spider-Man has been done to death. I mean how many times are they going to film Spider-Man using his webbing to capture/hold massive things like subways or ships?

Stout

Reaction score
Really? I thought it was fairly generic with some funny comic relief by RDJ. Also cautiously optimistic, but I also think Spider-Man has been done to death. I mean how many times are they going to film Spider-Man using his webbing to capture/hold massive things like subways or ships?

To be fair, I have skipped the last kajillion Spider Man movies. I've seen...I think 2 of them? Then I lost interest in a big way.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cannot wait for this one. Next years movies are going to be "Amazing"! :p

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2017 should make up for 2016's overall flop

edit: Meh, I was thinking 2015, not 2016.

All I know is that it will have no problem being better than Spiderman 3. I swear that was the worst movie I have ever seen. I never fall asleep in the movie theater, but Spiderman 3, I did. It was horrible

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It appears everyone in production was on the same page from the beginning. Director Jon Watts previously addressed the diversity topic, similarly telling The Daily Beast:

Peter Parker goes to high school in Queens, and Queens is one of ― if not the ― most diverse places in the world. So I just wanted it to reflect what that actually looks like.

By looking at the “Spider-Man: Homecoming” cast, it’s clear this is not the same old “Spider-Man” movie we’ve become accustomed to. This is something better, and it has the positive social media reviews — and will likely get the box-office numbers — to prove it.

“Spider-Man: Homecoming” swings into theaters July 7.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ast-is-so-diverse_us_594fd785e4b02734df2b0e71