Spider-Man: Homecoming

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It’s official – ‘Spider-Man’ is going solo.

At least, when it comes to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"It’s been a confusing few weeks for ‘Spider-Man’ fans. Following a series of ‘will-they won’t-they’ sort-of-announcements by Marvel and Sony, it looks as though the final verdict is finally in – Venom and other ‘Spider-man’ characters won’t appear in the MCU.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/spider-man-characters-wont-appear-mcu-183154401.html
“Here’s what we’re doing: all these characters are a part of the Marvel comic book universe,” said Sony’s Amy Pascal. “In that universe, they are all related to each other. Kevin [Feige] makes characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These characters are separate, except for Spidey, who belongs in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is why he’s there.”

That much is clear – Spider-Man is definitely part of the MCU.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First look review
Spider-Man: Homecoming review – web-slinging wit powers razor-sharp reboot

Thursday 29 June 2017 09.00 EDTLast modified on Thursday 29 June 2017 09.04 EDT

Once the fresh-faced poster boy of the modern superhero movie era, Spider-Man slowly became a sadly symbolic shill, emblematic of an industry obsessed with merchandise-hawking regurgitation and petrified of creative risk. Sam Raimi’s first two chapters were thrilling and light-footed, his third was catastrophic. Five years later, (500) Days of Summer director Marc Webb was the unlikely and ultimately unconvincing choice to reboot the character. Two soulless committee-made films followed, covering boringly similar ground, and two years later, we had yet another refresh with the character showing up in Captain America: Civil War to pre-empt a solo outing.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/29/spider-man-homecoming-review-tom-holland

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Early reviews say ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ is a much-needed return to form for the franchise
IN THIS CENTURY, each U.S. presidential administration gets its own Spider-Man reboot. In the Trump era, it falls to Sony and Marvel to reach across the Hollywood aisle and make us care about the third Spidey reset within 15 years.

Fortunately, according to the critics, the studios have found a winning star in 21-year-old British actor Tom Holland, the nimble, sweet-faced lad who spent part of his adolescence dancing on the London stage in “Billy Elliot.”

Overall, Thursday’s first wave of reviewers have positive marks for “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” which opens July 7.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...orm-for-the-franchise/?utm_term=.c5dfcd7f5756

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way I will ever pay to see another SpiderMan movie is if he suffocates in his webbing and that is the end of it all. In that case, I will give a standing ovation that will last until AFTER the credits.

Next Superman movie for me...... the one where Kryptonite dissolves his skeleton and the remains are eaten by clams.

Next Batman movie for me .... the one where Batman and Robin both overdose heroin and their bodies wind up in a landfill.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The only way I will ever pay to see another SpiderMan movie is if he suffocates in his webbing and that is the end of it all. In that case, I will give a standing ovation that will last until AFTER the credits.

Next Superman movie for me...... the one where Kryptonite dissolves his skeleton and the remains are eaten by clams.

Next Batman movie for me .... the one where Batman and Robin both overdose heroin and their bodies wind up in a landfill.

wow.

Buzzkill.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:biglaugh:

LSHMCOMN!!!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw this last night and loved it. I would say this is the best Spider-Man movie to date, including Raimi's trilogy and the 2 "Amazing" films. A few minor complaints, I paid to see this in IMAX 3-D because that was the only saving grace of Amazing Spider-Man 2, the visuals in that were great in IMAX 3-D, but this was more toned down. Don't waste the money on IMAX 3-D if you're expecting visuals like the "Amazing" films. Regular 2D should be just fine.

They had Peter Parker in high school in the other Spider-Man film series but this is the first one where it really feels like he's a high schooler and that they focus on that aspect of Peter. Also since he has the larger established Marvel world to play in, he's definitely a "rookie" type hero, still learning his way. Obviously he was in Civil War already and they don't backtrack for any origin nonsense, which is good. If you haven't seen Captain America: Civil War then I'd highly recommend seeing that before seeing this, it's on Netflix so it's not hard to find.

This film was much more character driven than any of the other films. You get to learn who this Peter Parker is and also who he is as Spider-Man. There is a difference between the two, which wasn't really the case in previous Spider-Man films. Tobey was a great Peter and Garfield was a good Spider-Man but Tom Holland nails both rolls.

Anyone that feels like they've seen this movie already from the trailers and TV spots is wrong, Marvel cuts trailers really well and just uses stuff from early in their films for the most part so even though it feels like you've seen a lot, most of what you've seen happens early and then it's all fresh. There is also less Tony Stark/Iron Man than some people have feared. I've heard people refer to this as Iron Man 4 or think it will be a Spider-Man & Iron Man team up movie but it's definitely a Spider-Man film and Stark's presence is felt through a lot of it but he's not on screen very much. He was in this less than he was Civil War, his role in the story is smaller than that film also.

Biggest complaint though is this is probably one of the most disappointing post credit scenes of any Marvel movie. I wish I would have left after the first post credit scene. There are just 2 though, it's not like Guardians of the Galaxy part 2 with 5 credit scenes.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had Peter Parker in high school in the other Spider-Man film series' but this is the first one where it really feels like he's a high-schooler and that they focus on that aspect of Peter.

It's about time they cast someone younger as Peter Parker.

Tobey Maguire was 27 when the first Sam Raimi Spidey film rolled out.

Andrew Garfield was 29 in the first Amazing Spidey flick.

Tom Holland is 21, but looks more believable as a teenager, IMHO.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spider-Man: Homecoming

Release date: July 7, 2017
Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony), Marvel Studios
Director: Jon Watts
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sci-fi action violence, some language and brief suggestive comments)
Screenwriters: John Francis Daley, Jonathan M. Goldstein, Jon Watts, Christopher D. Ford, Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers
Genre: Action, Adventure
Website: SpiderManHomecoming.com| Facebook| Twitter| Instagram

Starring: Tom Holland, Michael Keaton, Zendaya Coleman, Donald Glover, Jacob Batalon, Laura Harrier, Tony Revolori, Tyne Daly, Bokeem Woodbine, Marisa Tomei, Robert Downey Jr.

Plot Summary: A young Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Tom Holland), who made his sensational debut in "Captain America: Civil War," begins to navigate his newfound identity as the web-slinging super hero in "Spider-Man: Homecoming." Thrilled by his experience with the Avengers, Peter returns home, where he lives with his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei), under the watchful eye of his new mentor Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.). Peter tries to fall back into his normal daily routine – distracted by thoughts of proving himself to be more than just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man – but when the Vulture (Michael Keaton) emerges as a new villain, everything that Peter holds most important will be threatened.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
10 ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Easter Eggs You Might Have Missed
With Spider-Man’s move into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the character’s first solo outing was bound to include plenty of fun nods to the other famous superheros. From Robert Downey Jr.’s appearance as Tony Stark/Iron Man, to Peter’s school showing PSAs featuring Captain America, and references to Thor, SHIELD, and more, there was plenty for fans to take in.

But there were also more subtle nods to the ever-expanding MCU as well as to the wall-crawler’s own 55-year history. Here are 10 Easter eggs from “Spider-Man: Homecoming” you may have missed.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/spider-man-homecoming-easter-eggs-1202489884/

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Spider-Man: Homecoming Has Massive Marvel Cinematic Universe Plot Hole
X

Spider-Man: Homecoming doesn't shy away from its connections to the grander Marvel Cinematic Universe, but that decision has also led to an unfortunate side effect.

Spoilers incoming for Spider-Man: Homecoming, so if you haven't seen it yet you've been warned.

A flashback is seen early in the film showing Adrian Toomes and his construction crew working to clean up New York after the battle in Avengers (via ScreenRant). Damage Control takes ownership of the site away from them, followed by a time jump to "eight years later".

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/07/08/spider-man-homecoming-mcu-plot-hole/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I thought that was off but enjoyed the film so much I totally forgot about it until I saw that post now. It doesn't take much away from the film itself but does raise questions for the entire MCU. I read an article a week or two ago about how it's becoming clearer and clearer that Marvel should have someone that is in charge of overseeing their overall continuity and canon to avoid these sort of issues and points out some other mistakes.

https://mcuexchange.com/marvel-needs-charge-cinematic-canon/

James Gunn admitted to a continuity error in GOTG 2 right after it's release also. That film took place about 6 months after the first Guardians but one of the post credit scenes has something mentioned that happened in Civil War. Guardians 1 & 2 were supposed to take placed in 2014. That's minor though as that was more of an easter egg than a real continuity issue but it was Gunn who came out and admitted the mistake before it was discussed much amongst the fanbase. It's even explainable since there is another post credit scene that takes place probably a year from the events of that film, if not a little longer. I won't say specifically because I don't want to spoil anything, even if it is small stuff. I'm not sure how you do spoiler tags either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's weird... I wasn't super into this through the first hour, but thought the second hour was really good. Wasn't crazy about the twist, but once I got over it, it made for some really meaty scenes.

Keaton was great. The kid was great.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was effing incredible. Marvel knocking it out of the park yet again. Great villain, great humor, great story. Definitely better than WW. No doubt WW was the more important super hero movie of the summer, but it has been eclipsed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was effing incredible. Marvel knocking it out of the park yet again. Great villain, great humor, great story. Definitely better than WW. No doubt WW was the more important super hero movie of the summer, but it has been eclipsed.

couldn't disagree more. WW owns the summer. This was very good, but WW was great, IMO.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep, Marvel hit this out of the park. Wonder Women was great but this was better. I would say this was more like 1A and WW was 1B. Both great movies but I give Spiderman the nod just by a nudge. The bad guy fight scene at the end with Haydes flying through the air like a video game with the final fight kind of sucked in WW. I really didn't have a problem with any scenes in this movie which is why it barely edges out WW IMO. I mean barely.

Both still great movies. Both must see and must own movies. WW definitely was more impactful though overall IMO to it's respective universe. Plus the lead is still uber hot in GG.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Loved this one as well. Best Spider-Man movie ever made. I was iffy on the casting but it grew on me. And a pretty good twist you don't really see coming -- whether you like the twist or not. Also, interesting 1st credits scene and a spectacular final credits scene.

As for the Wonder Woman comparisons... I think they are about even when it comes to quality, but let's face it, Wonder Woman had a bit more IMPORTANCE in the scheme of its universe. And because of that, it definitely moves ahead of Spider-Man for me. Granted, Spider-Man had some damage control (no pun intended) to deal with on all the previous films, but at least a film like Spidey 2 was a good superhero movie at a time where there weren't many superhero movies.

Wonder Woman, though, had a HUGE burden. Not only was it released in a universe that has failed up to that point, it's star and director were women, to boot. What that movie has accomplished both on its own and within the greater universe, is nothing short of miraculous.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
couldn't disagree more. WW owns the summer. This was very good, but WW was great, IMO.

Yeah I thought that WW was better but only by a slim margin.

With that said this movie was fantastic. Marvel can do no wrong. They are the Pixar of comic book movies.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"WW is important"

You must be registered for see images attach

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
‘Spider-Man’ Still Has Box Office Bite, to Sony’s Relief
LOS ANGELES — Spider-Man swung back into theaters in triumphant fashion over the weekend, prompting a window-rattling sigh of relief from Sony Pictures, which has been struggling to end a prolonged fallow period at the box office.

“Spider-Man: Homecoming,” the sixth web-crawler story to arrive on the big screen in 15 years, overcame worries of franchise fatigue to take in about $117 million at cinemas in the United States and Canada. Sony had been conservatively estimating an $80 million arrival. Independent box office analysts had hoped for roughly $100 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/...html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/movies

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Loved this movie from start to finish. Great Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Refreshing!

Loved Wonder Woman too.

Have no need to compare them. Enjoyed both.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Saw this and was so-so for me, but damn the post credits scene was probably the best yet from Marvel. I aint talking a about the jail one either.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
watched this last night.. It was great but not great, fantastic without being spectacular.

It was far from what I was expecting to be sure. Based on previous spidey movies and Petes appearance in civil war I was expecting a full on spectacle of all the bad assery that is Spider Man..
Instead,...I got a confused bumbling kid in defiance of authority who wanted to prove he could be a grownup...
they really ****** nailed it. Watching Pete bumble around and have to actually learn how to be spider man was awesome... testing his limits, learning he can do more than he thought he could...being kinda afraid of heights, lol....
I am not a huge fan of the iron spider suit... spidey sense is supposed to be natural,...not jarvette telling you something is coming... I did however kinda like the taser webs...and the suit constantly wanting to go into red eyed instant kill mode was hilarious.
Peter Parker was a 15 year old kid and for the first time in any Spidey movie we actually got a Peter Parker who is a fifteen year old kid. I am hoping the next one does not take too long to hit the screen