Some advice for the new Suns posters

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expected a few Spurs fans to drop by, but I didn't expect to see a lot of new Suns newbies. Here's a couple of thoughts from a non-moderator:

- Before calling out and questioning a poster on their team loyalty etc., you might want to check their post count and see how long they've been around. I'm inclined to give lots of posters I'm familiar with the benefit of the doubt. It kind of makes me surly seeing someone with all of 9 posts to their name calling a regular out with broad assumptions about their character. The rah rah stuff is probably going to grate on the long-timers. Just fair warning.

- Don't assume the rest of us understand your point of view. Because of lengthy off-season posting, many of us have a short-hand understanding of each other on things like Shawn Marion, the Suns management, etc. The opinions here tend to be extremely well-informed and often at odds with the opinions held by local radio guys, newspaper writers, ESPN know-it-alls, and others. I don't think I have to explain that it only comes with spending some time here.

- Try to read the whole thread before posting. Lots of times threads go on for pages and people say the same thing that's already beens aid (multiple times). If you want to stand out as a poster, be different.

EnglishSun

Reaction score
I've signed up to the site to reply to this post.

That was the most self-righteous post i have ever read anywhere! get over yourself!

i'm thinking about posting a million replies to different posts now so that this guy thinks i'm the biggest Suns fan in the world!!

get over yourself and let people talk about their team. Just because they might not always have time to post on these fairly insignificant forums doesnt mean they cant voice opinion. Unfortunately we cant all be as 'informed' and 'intelligent' as you when it comes to your, i mean our, Suns.

We can do it tonight just gotta believe and everyone there tonight has gotta make it a living hell for those Spurs players. They wont wanna be in the desert tongiht and we gotta make sure they remember that.

GO SUNS.

EnglishSun

Reaction score

That was the most self-righteous post i have ever read anywhere! get over yourself!

i'm thinking about posting a million replies to different posts now so that this guy thinks i'm the biggest Suns fan in the world!!

get over yourself and let people talk about their team. Just because they might not always have time to post on these fairly insignificant forums doesnt mean they cant voice opinion. Unfortunately we cant all be as 'informed' and 'intelligent' as you when it comes to your, i mean our, Suns.

We can do it tonight just gotta believe and everyone there tonight has gotta make it a living hell for those Spurs players. They wont wanna be in the desert tongiht and we gotta make sure they remember that.

GO SUNS.

DevilAlum06

Reaction score
I agree with EnglishSun... The arrogance and perceived superiority some people have just because they have a high 'post count' on an internet message board is truly ridiculous.

GO SUNS!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GO SUNS.

I agree with EnglishSun... The arrogance and perceived superiority some people have just because they have a high 'post count' on an internet message board is truly ridiculous.

GO SUNS!

I am actually in agreement with this view. I don't care about post count, and how it relates to people's post. If it is a good one, it should stand on its own. It should not matter if you have a 10k postcount to back it up.

If you have a asinine statement, I am going to call you out if you have 1 or 10,000 posts.

Eastern_Sun

Reaction score
I expected a few Spurs fans to drop by, but I didn't expect to see a lot of new Suns newbies. Here's a couple of thoughts from a non-moderator:

- Before calling out and questioning a poster on their team loyalty etc., you might want to check their post count and see how long they've been around. I'm inclined to give lots of posters I'm familiar with the benefit of the doubt. It kind of makes me surly seeing someone with all of 9 posts to their name calling a regular out with broad assumptions about their character. The rah rah stuff is probably going to grate on the long-timers. Just fair warning.

- Don't assume the rest of us understand your point of view. Because of lengthy off-season posting, many of us have a short-hand understanding of each other on things like Shawn Marion, the Suns management, etc. The opinions here tend to be extremely well-informed and often at odds with the opinions held by local radio guys, newspaper writers, ESPN know-it-alls, and others. I don't think I have to explain that it only comes with spending some time here.

- Try to read the whole thread before posting. Lots of times threads go on for pages and people say the same thing that's already beens aid (multiple times). If you want to stand out as a poster, be different.

I agree with English sun here. Just because we don't have the time to post thousands or replies on this board doesn't make us any less informed. The fact that this site has been flooded with new members sharing their point of view should tell you that. We all listen to the same radio stations and all have our own unique points of view.

As to reading the entire thread before posting, that's a joke. Certain threads contain pages and pages of posts and there are times when a certain "educated" member says something so off the wall that we feel the need to respond. Again excuse us if we don't have time to read 20 pages worth of material to make sure we don't repeat someone elses opinion.

Eastern_Sun

Reaction score
I am actually in agreement with this view. I don't care about post count, and how it relates to people's post. If it is a good one, it should stand on its own. It should not matter if you have a 10k postcount to back it up.

If you have a asinine statement, I am going to call you out if you have 1 or 10,000 posts.

Exactly.

By the way, I want that Carlton Game on the Wii!!!

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
sorry i saw alot of the so called suns fans with high post counts and early join dates calling for a forfeit.. thats just unbelieveable in my book .. basically saying we've already lost tonights game.. if you're a fan you think your team will win no matter what.. even if we didn't have marion bell amare and diaw tonight.. i would still in the back of my mind think the suns can win cause no matter what you always have hope..

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry i saw alot of the so called suns fans with high post counts and early join dates calling for a forfeit.. thats just unbelieveable in my book .. basically saying we've already lost tonights game.. if you're a fan you think your team will win no matter what.. even if we didn't have marion bell amare and diaw tonight.. i would still in the back of my mind think the suns can win cause no matter what you always have hope..

Yes and No. There were fans with high post counts calling for a forfeit. But just because you are a fan, doesn't mean that you think that your team will win ever game.

I do believe that the Suns have a better chance than the 20:1 odds that elindholm gave though.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
if you're a fan you think your team will win no matter what

That's true if you are one kind of fan. Other kinds of fans enjoy being realistic. There's nothing wrong with having enough knowledge of the game to recognize that your team is going to get trounced, and then being honest about that fact.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GO SUNS.
ALL MHO: I thought it was a fairly sincere post...he doesn't need to "get over himself" and I truly don't believe he was being self-righteous. It was an honest effort to try to help the "newbies" fit in easier. Maybe his delivery was lacking, but the intent was honest.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
That's true if you are one kind of fan. Other kinds of fans enjoy being realistic. There's nothing wrong with having enough knowledge of the game to recognize that your team is going to get trounced, and then being honest about that fact.

ya because there are never upsets in sports.. never heard of david vs goliath either..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the most self-righteous post i have ever read anywhere! get over yourself!.

You must not read very many posts, if that's the case. I suggest staying away from the P&R forum here.

I'm a little shocked at how offended a lot of you got to his post...it wasn't condescending or insulting and instead was sort of a heads up to people new to the board and a description of the culture of the board. No, post counts don't matter at all, but respect for your fellow posters does.

"Calling out" someone who has a lot of posts on a board will likely result in your message being thrown aside because of the others' familiarity with the long-time poster. I think Gaddabout was just trying to remind everyone of some fairly common sense things. Get the lay of the land, and understand your environment. Pretty good advice no matter where you are..in business, on a forum or in a group setting of any kind.

He may not have delivered his message as cleanly as he wanted, but the negative reactions are incredibly defensive.

mcgophers

Reaction score
I'm one of about 4 Suns fans I know, so it's refreshing to be able to talk about them with people who know way more than I do.

Reaction score
I think there's a big misconception here that if you don't post on the message board alot, you are not a big suns fan, or an informed fan.

I have been attending Suns games (probably a dozen or so big games a year) since about 1980. I was at Kareems last game in Phoenix, the game against the knicks where Greg Anthony punched KJ and started a brawl, and the game against the Orlando Magic where Shaq brought down the rim. So, I have a long track record of supporting the Suns, good seasons and bad.

If someone that has 2,000 posts says something idiotic, I should be able to post a non-offensive response without my post count coming into question. I have never had the need to go against another poster too aggressively, but I reserve the right to do so if the neeed should arise. :p

Now, having said that, lets get back on the topic of winning game 5, and not the topic of fan internet behavior.
:koolaid:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should be able to post a non-offensive response without my post count coming into question. I have never had the need to go against another poster too aggressively, but I reserve the right to do so if the neeed should arise. :p
:thumbup: I think that was the point Gaddabout was trying to make.

Utah49er

Reaction score
I am here to do battle with the Phoenix Suns during the upcoming series. Jazz vs. Suns:cheers:

Golden State fans were to easy.

Reaction score
:thumbup: I think that was the point Gaddabout was trying to make.

But, the point is that Gad was singling out NEW posters. I think it's clear that all posters should not attack each other, it's not a one way street. To tell the new posters to, in essence, "watch their behavior towards the older posters", that's what I have a problem with.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, the point is that Gad was singling out NEW posters. I think it's clear that all posters should not attack each other, it's not a one way street. To tell the new posters to, in essence, "watch their behavior towards the older posters", that's what I have a problem with.

I agree with you. People look at post counts, and automatically want to consider them a troll. It is unfair to new posters, and singling them out isn't the best idea, no matter how well intentioned. Maybe there should be a section to the Rules to the site about new posters, but posts slingling others out can be offensive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson