Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But where does that leave the character of Solo? One of the biggest gripes is that he isn't the Han Solo of Episode 4, so where is the bridge between what he is at the end of Solo and the other movie?

Do we really need that gap bridged though? I mean, we have the gambling part of solo, we have the smuggler part of solo, we have the Han shot first part of solo, and because of Kira he probably becomes a scoundrel with women because he was burned.

I just don't perceive a huge gap I guess. What do you feel is a huge gap that needs to be filled?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do we really need that gap bridged though? I mean, we have the gambling part of solo, we have the smuggler part of solo, we have the Han shot first part of solo, and because of Kira he probably becomes a scoundrel with women because he was burned.

I just don't perceive a huge gap I guess. What do you feel is a huge gap that needs to be filled?
The Han at the end of Solo is the Han at the beginning of Empire. The handsome rogue now a full-fledged good guy. Just because he says he's "Not" the good guy in Solo doesn't mean his character isn't.

You can make the implication that Kira makes him the cynical a-hole he is, but I wish we could have seen that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Han at the end of Solo is the Han at the beginning of Empire. The handsome rogue now a full-fledged good guy. Just because he says he's "Not" the good guy in Solo doesn't mean his character isn't.

You can make the implication that Kira makes him the cynical a-hole he is, but I wish we could have seen that.

That and I think you can safely assume that the smuggler/swindler part of Solo is in full motion after this heist and as he heads to start working with the Hutts.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That and I think you can safely assume that the smuggler/swindler part of Solo is in full motion after this heist and as he heads to start working with the Hutts.
The whole Tatooine and Jabba the Hutt thing would be worth checking out. How does he originally meet Greedo? Does Boba Fett play any kind of role before the bounty goes out on Solo? There are a lot of questions that can be answered before the beginning of Episode 4.

And this is a reach, I suppose that there could be some interaction with Ben/Obi-Wan as well. In Episode 4, it seemed to imply that he knew Chewbacca in some capacity. Not so much Han Solo, but he seemed somewhat familiar with Chewy.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this is a reach, I suppose that there could be some interaction with Ben/Obi-Wan as well. In Episode 4, it seemed to imply that he knew Chewbacca in some capacity. Not so much Han Solo, but he seemed somewhat familiar with Chewy.

Agree. Yoda had a relationship with Chewbacca so like you said, maybe Obi at least knew of Chewbacca.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that Ray Park over the weekend strongly suggested the Obi Wan movie is happening and that he was involved in "other Star Wars" projects. So, maybe that ending was the tie that binds this movie to that movie verses a Han Solo sequel.

They seem to be going out of their way to tie the animated series to these movies since Rogue One. If that is the case it makes sense because Obi crosses paths with Maul multiple times.

Revealing his character is alive in Solo would be a perfect bridge and possibly the plan all along.

this was my thought when I saw Maul, that it was a set-up for an Obi-Wan movie and thus, not a set-up for another Solo flick... which is just completely unnecessary.

Reality, is EVERYONE in Hollywood is trying to make their own shared universes or set up new trilogies... but it doesn't mean they will if their first attempt out of the box is a bomb. See Terminator Genysis and The Mummy for proof of that. Both of those movies were written to spawn sequels in Terminator's case and the "Dark Universe" for universal. And when they bombed, those plans were scrapped.

I'm guessing the same happens here for a supposed Solo trilogy. Disney is going to take a major loss with this... one that won't hurt them that much overall due to the success of the Avengers/Panthers/Incredibles 2/Ant-Man and Wasp, but it's still going to leave a mark they won't be keen to going back to, with sequel idea set up or not.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
in a Disney movie... yeah, watching your heroes in essence watch an atomic bomb come to obliterate them was surprising.

And you "expected that"? Well, the original DIRECTOR didn't as the original ending had most of them ALIVE before the re-shoots where Gilroy decided they should all die.

So if you're smarter than the original filmmakers, congrats, but saying that most people called that out beforehand seems pretty ridiculous considering that when principal filming finished a lot of the heroes LIVED.

director this director that... anyone with multiple brain cells new everyone was going to die in rogue one.

they mention it in ANH. something akin to " a lot of very good people DIED to get us these plans"

the plans barely made it to leia, then she barely got them into an escape pod before Vader took her ship...
it helped build the desperation and menace in ANH from the beginning.

the thing is...we never got any of the story...it was just part of the gap between ANH and those godawful prequels... there were no preconceived ideas as to how that all happened really.
that was a twenty year gap...lots of things can happen in twenty years. with rogue one they touched on a story that was part of the main plot, but a part that was filled with unknowns...and it did well.
with Solo they touched on a part that didnt have anything to do with the main plot but was filled with events we already knew...and apparently it isnt doing well.
maybe they are learning? maybe they should play in the universe but stay completely away from the skywalker storyline..except to maybe touch a moment here or there

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But where does that leave the character of Solo? One of the biggest gripes is that he isn't the Han Solo of Episode 4, so where is the bridge between what he is at the end of Solo and the other movie?
Lost in the world of nonprofitble never-made sequels.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Agreed. But if it’s a matter of throwing good money after bad I don’t see it being made.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wha?!? How do we know either had a relationship with chewie? Is this cartoon or novel stuff?
The Obi/Chewbacca stuff was just a (loose) inference with how Alec Guiness introduced the character in the Cantina. I have no facts proving or disproving that. I don't remember any mention of a relationship between Yoda and Chewy.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. But if it’s a matter of throwing good money after bad I don’t see it being made.

Maybe they can improve their marketing. It was really odd for this film (which hit many other missteps along the way). It was like "We made a film about Solo. Here's a trailer where you see everyone...except Solo." It was like they weren't too proud of the job Alden did as Solo or didn't feel he was very marketable/wasn't a draw. Bizarre in comparison to the other films/trailers since Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Poor Marketing Blamed For Solo's Box Office Failure

https://screenrant.com/solo-bad-marketing-box-office-flop/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Obi/Chewbacca stuff was just a (loose) inference with how Alec Guiness introduced the character in the Cantina. I have no facts proving or disproving that. I don't remember any mention of a relationship between Yoda and Chewy.

Yoda and Chewy met in a super-shoe-horned-in-moment at the end of Revenge Of The Sith.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this was my thought when I saw Maul, that it was a set-up for an Obi-Wan movie and thus, not a set-up for another Solo flick... which is just completely unnecessary.

Reality, is EVERYONE in Hollywood is trying to make their own shared universes or set up new trilogies... but it doesn't mean they will if their first attempt out of the box is a bomb. See Terminator Genysis and The Mummy for proof of that. Both of those movies were written to spawn sequels in Terminator's case and the "Dark Universe" for universal. And when they bombed, those plans were scrapped.

I'm guessing the same happens here for a supposed Solo trilogy. Disney is going to take a major loss with this... one that won't hurt them that much overall due to the success of the Avengers/Panthers/Incredibles 2/Ant-Man and Wasp, but it's still going to leave a mark they won't be keen to going back to, with sequel idea set up or not.

Agree. I mean the first one was unnecessary. A second would be a glutton for punishment at the box office. LOL. I hope the Maul scene was just a setup for Obi all along. I would be stoked for that.

I don't think Solo would impact the Obi movie. I mean so far, it's the very first one to disappoint at the box office. Besides, it's almost universal that fans felt EW nailed playing Obi Wan. Hit portrayal is immensely popular in the prequels and is is a fan favorite in the animated series.

Fans would flock to this movie IMO.

Wha?!? How do we know either had a relationship with chewie? Is this cartoon or novel stuff?

Yoda had a scene during the Battle of Kashyyyk with Chewy in Revenge of the Sith. Just as the clones were going to turn on Yoda, he chops off their heads. Chewy puts out his arm and takes Yoda to his escape pod. He says something like "Miss you I will" indicating they have known each other.

I think that's what some of us were saying is that there is a ton about Chewy unexplored we would have liked to see. For example, he was next to the Wookie leader with Yoda. So, Chewy is either royalty or a bad ass warrior or something in that culture. We also know now in Solo he survives and it made an example of. They didn't kill him. We also know he has been a pilot thanks to the dialogue in Solo.

There is so much room for exploration on what happen to the Wookies. I think that was the biggest mistake was not exploring that more.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. I mean the first one was unnecessary. A second would be a glutton for punishment at the box office. LOL. I hope the Maul scene was just a setup for Obi all along. I would be stoked for that.

I don't think Solo would impact the Obi movie. I mean so far, it's the very first one to disappoint at the box office. Besides, it's almost universal that fans felt EW nailed playing Obi Wan. Hit portrayal is immensely popular in the prequels and is is a fan favorite in the animated series.

Yoda had a scene during the Battle of Kashyyyk with Chewy in Revenge of the Sith. Just as the clones were going to turn on Yoda, he chops off their heads. Chewy puts out his arm and takes Yoda to his escape pod. He says something like "Miss you I will" indicating they have known each other.

I think that's what some of us were saying is that there is a ton about Chewy unexplored we would have liked to see. For example, he was next to the Wookie leader with Yoda. So, Chewy is either royalty or a bad ass warrior or something in that culture. We also know now in Solo he survives and it made an example of. They didn't kill him. We also know he has been a pilot thanks to the dialogue in Solo.

There is so much room for exploration on what happen to the Wookies. I think that was the biggest mistake was not exploring that more.

Oh yeah... I don't think Solo effects an Obi-Wan movie. First, they've already got Obi-Wan well established from the prequels as the ONLY thing everyone universally liked/loved in those movies and Obi-Wan v. Maul would whip fan-boys and girls into a tizzy. Hell, I'd be excited to see that movie.

I do wonder if Solo has an effect on the Fett movie... mostly just from a budget standpoint. Disney is taking a bath on Solo, but it wouldn't be as bad if the budget didn't spiral completely out of control with massive reshoots and director changes. I also think they're going to have get someone pretty kick-ass and recognizable inside Fett's armor... someone like Robert Downey Jr. back before he did Iron Man. A known REALLY talented actor who might be a little down on his luck and they take a chance on cheap. Putting an Alden-esque dude in that suit ain't the smart way to go at this point.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... I don't think Solo effects an Obi-Wan movie. First, they've already got Obi-Wan well established from the prequels as the ONLY thing everyone universally liked/loved in those movies and Obi-Wan v. Maul would whip fan-boys and girls into a tizzy. Hell, I'd be excited to see that movie.

I do wonder if Solo has an effect on the Fett movie... mostly just from a budget standpoint. Disney is taking a bath on Solo, but it wouldn't be as bad if the budget didn't spiral completely out of control with massive reshoots and director changes. I also think they're going to have get someone pretty kick-ass and recognizable inside Fett's armor... someone like Robert Downey Jr. back before he did Iron Man. A known REALLY talented actor who might be a little down on his luck and they take a chance on cheap. Putting an Alden-esque dude in that suit ain't the smart way to go at this point.

Good point. Fett is really really really popular but definitely more in a fanboy type way. I bet you're right though. I bet the studio is more cautious. Fett definitely would feel "safer" if they nailed a great actor to play the part though like you said.

Obi though? It's going to get whatever it needs I bet.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point. Fett is really really really popular but definitely more in a fanboy type way. I bet your right though. I bet the studio is more cautious. Fett definitely would feel "safer" if they nailed a great actor to play the part though like you said.

Obi though? It's going to get whatever it needs I bet.

yeah. That's their safest bet by far with universe prequel movies.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. Before someone knocks him for lack of acting chops - Alden was struggling so much on the set of this film that an acting coach was brought in (mid-production) to help him.

Isn't that a requirement for most star wars movies? Be bad at acting?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that a requirement for most star wars movies? Be bad at acting?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

No. Actually Star Wars has always had a mixed bag. Seriously, they have plucked fantastic actors from the theater or film in almost every movie. Also, in many cases the "clunky dialogue" can make anybody look bad.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Boba Fett is in a mask most of the time. Is casting a "great" actor really going to make a difference?

I mean, Tom Hardy was cast as Venom and I think that movie looks terrible.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We know they celebrate Christmas, er Life Day!!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boba Fett is in a mask most of the time. Is casting a "great" actor really going to make a difference?

Why would he need to stay in the mask the entire movie? Even Jengo Fett in the movies has scenes with it off. Outside of actions sequences I would imagine he would have it off since we know it's just armor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I assume he'll be in a mask for action sequences, but if they're going to make an entire movie out of him, I'm guessing his time in suit is no more than Stark as Iron Man.