Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Star Wars' Han Solo Spinoff In the Works With 'Lego Movie' Directors

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/han-solo-star-wars-spinoff-807153

These are the directors you are looking for.

When Christopher Miller was an intern at Lucasfilm, he was asked, and geekily accepted, to step into a Stormtrooper costume for one of George Lucas’ special edition Star Wars movies.

Now, in a paraphrasing of Darth Vader’s immortal words of “When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master,” a circle is about to complete.

Miller and his partner Phil Lord, the duo behind The Lego Movie and the hit 21 Jump Street movies, are tackling one of Star Wars anthology movies as their next directing project, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The filmmaker team, who write, direct and produce, are stepping up to helm a movie that will focus on a young Han Solo, according to sources.

Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan are writing the script with the project now set for a May 25, 2018 release.

The new project is not the same as the one that was to have been directed by Josh Trank. Trank parted ways with the project in May amid a cloud of issues stemming from his Fantastic Four shoot. The project, rumored to be an origin story of the intergalactic bounty hunter Boba Fett, is still searching for a director.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lord and Miller are my only hope for this thing. Everything they've touched has turned to gold so far... Lego Movie, 21/22 Jump Street, Last Man On Earth were all either outstanding or at the very worst, VERY good.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am a huge Star Wars geek and even I really don't care much about a movie about Han Solo. He works great as part of an ensemble but I just can't see that character being the centerpiece of his own feature film.

Whatever. I will see it anyway :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
biggest problem I see this movie having is recasting Ford. I can't even come close to thinking about who can fill his shoes for Solo. I can kind of see Pratt doing Indy (if they had to cast someone) and wouldn't dismiss it as out of hand, but I don't see him playing Solo, especially since he played a much heartier version of Solo in Guardians.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a huge Star Wars geek and even I really don't care much about a movie about Han Solo. He works great as part of an ensemble but I just can't see that character being the centerpiece of his own feature film.

Whatever. I will see it anyway :)

I'll be right behind you. :)

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
biggest problem I see this movie having is recasting Ford. I can't even come close to thinking about who can fill his shoes for Solo. I can kind of see Pratt doing Indy (if they had to cast someone) and wouldn't dismiss it as out of hand, but I don't see him playing Solo, especially since he played a much heartier version of Solo in Guardians.
I can't see Pratt as Solo either. Not after Guardians. Indy yes since it's a different genre. Maybe another younger semi unknown similar to Ford when he was cast for EP1

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Exactly.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Someone slipped on a banana and snapped this.

Someone else posted that it was photo shopped and showed the empty theater image they used (you can tell it by the weird overhead light in the image it is the exact same pic just altered).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Whoever they cast will likely be someone in their 20's. It is supposed to be pre-A New Hope Han Solo and be somewhat of an origin story. I have no clue what early-mid 20's actor would be convincing in the part.

The re-casting it doesn't bother me as much as the character itself, I just don't think he alone can carry a film.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Someone else posted that it was photo shopped and showed the empty theater image they used (you can tell it by the weird overhead light in the image it is the exact same pic just altered).
I guess we'll find out tomorrow. But based on rumors, the sequence seems right.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Han Solo Search: Watch Anthony Ingruber Play Harrison Ford (Again) With ‘Star Wars’ Impression (Video)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

News that Disney was moving forward with a standalone “Star Wars” film about a young Han Solo sent fans speculating on Tuesday, over which crop of actors might be in contention to play the famous character originated by Harrison Ford.

Turns out there’s already a younger version of Ford on the market in Anthony Ingruber — who played an earlier Ford in Blake Lively’s 2015 decade-spanning drama “Age of Adaline.”

Ingruber was so convincing as Ford that many wondered if CGI was used to age the latter backwards — all the better, then, that he’s had a Han Solo impression live on YouTube for seven years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Another question is how young they should go with young Han Solo. In the Star Wars prequels, Lucas began by presenting Darth Vader as a mischievous, pod-racing child. They won’t be venturing that far back with Solo.

“He’ll definitely be probably in the high teens, low 20s,” Kennedy says. “We’re not introducing you to a 10-year-old Han Solo.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/13/star-wars-anthology-young-han-solo

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Han Solo movie has auditioned over 2,500 actors including Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Dave Franco & Chandler Riggs

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...lude-dave-franco-aaron-johnson-chandler-riggs

According to Heat Vision, casting on Lucasfilm’s Han Solo movie is kicking into high gear. With The LEGO Movie helmers Phil Lord and Chris Miller directing the still-untitled Star Wars Anthology film, they’ve brought on their casting director Jeanne McCarthy (the 21 Jump Street films) to cast a wide net (over 2,500 actors seen so far) for filling Harrison Ford’s iconic role. Despite Kathleen Kennedy saying the character would be in his “high teens, low 20s,” they’ve auditioned high-profile names like Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Avengers: Age of Ultron, age 25), Miles Teller (Fantastic Four, age 28), Hunter Parish (“Weeds,” age 28), Dave Franco (21 Jump Street, age 30) and Rami Malek (“Mr. Robot,” age 34).

Young thesps that have either read or sent in a tape who fall more into the range Kennedy identified are Chandler Riggs (“The Walking Dead,” age 16), Leo Howard (“Kickin’ It,” age 18), Nick Robinson (Jurassic World, age 20), Ansel Elgort (The Fault in Our Stars, age 21), Jack Reynor (Transformers: Age of Extinction, age 23), Logan Lerman (Fury, age 23), Landon Liboiron (“Hemlock Grove,” age 23) and Tony Oller (The Purge, age 24). Keep in mind that the prequel/spin-off doesn’t begin shooting until January 2017, so that gives some of the younger candidates an extra year to age into the character and more time for Lord & Miller to make a decision.

Yet other names under consideration include Colton Haynes (“Teen Wolf,” “Arrow,” age 27) and Max Thieriot (“Bates Motel,” age 27) as well as English actors Ed Westwick (“Gossip Girl,” age 28), Tom Felton (the “Harry Potter” films, age 28) and Joshua Sasse (“Galavant,” age 27). There is no mention of an audition by fan-favorite Anthony Ingruber, whose dead-ringer looks led to him playing a younger version of Harrison Ford’s character in Age of Adeline.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the movie sites just posted all the main stream actors who auditions so far. Not impressive at all. In fact, it makes me hope even more they cancel this movie. I guess it's possible a no name nails the part but I still don't want to see anybody but Harrison play this part.

Last edited:

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One of the movie sites just posted all the main stream actors who auditions so far. No impressive at all. In fact, it makes me hope even more they cancel this movie. I guess it's possible a no name nails the part but I still don't want to see anybody but Harrison play this part.
Yeah. This is going to be a hard role to cast because the fans know the character so well and wasn't Ford in his early 30's for SW?. It's not like Vader where he was hidden behind a mask and some kind of mysterious figure.

But, if it does happen it'll probably revolve around how he won the Falcon and his debt with Jabba. My guess anyways.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that Chandler Riggs showed his recent fight scene to show that he can play the tough guy.

If this doesn't get him the part, I am not sure what will.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've Seen The Han Solo Shortlist, But It Might Be Missing One Name: Anthony Ingruber

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3731815

Yesterday, we got our first look at the shortlist of young actors who could potentially play the role of a young Han Solo in Disney's planned prequel spin-off movie. Let's just say, not everyone loved them...

You can read that casting information here, but perhaps the most interesting thing about that article is the name which frequently pops up in the comment section: Anthony Ingruber. So, who is this Ingruber and why does he appear to be a fan-favorite over the likes of Miles Teller, Dave Franco and other bigger named actors?

Well, Ingruber is a relatively unknown actor who did achieve a certain level of Internet fame following his impression of Han Solo back in 2008.

However, it's not just an old Youtube video that his fans are using as evidence to support a young Han Solo casting. There's also the fact Ingruber has already played a young version of Harrison Ford.

Ingruber appeared in last year's Age of Adaline, a romance starring Harrison Ford that featured flashback sequences. In these scenes Ingruber was brought in to play a younger version of Ford's character, allowing him to try out his 'impression' on the big screen.

It seems widespread vexation surrounding Disney's relatively bland casting shortlist has led some to once again take up the call for Ingruber, with hashtags like #IngruberForSolo appearing on Twitter.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still wish they would leave this character alone but Ingruber is pretty dang good.