since we won a few I don't get it comments

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think the ball was just late getting there. I remember hearing Kurt Warner a couple months ago talking about how good Palmer is at anticipating his throws and that's precisely what needed to happen on that play. Just think about that for a second, Palmer likes to anticipate his throws, imagine how in sync he needs to be with his receivers for this to be effective. I think this might explain why Palmer and the receivers seem to be on a different page.

To add to this it looks like Palmer has been doing a lot of looking for an open target as opposed looking for a target that is coming open. Even the TD to Fitz was a little late getting there because he waited for Fitz to come open as opposed to anticipating the throw and hitting him in stride.

Makes a lot of sense. They do keep talking about timing so it does make sense that palmer is just not on the same page with anybody right now.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I couldn't understand he clock runoff after the delay of game penalty either and of course the announcers just blew it off. Housler is horrible.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree on young QB's but not veterans. He's got 6 picks in 4 games and almost all of them are the same who was he throwing to kind of picks. That one in the endzone yesterday if the DB doesn't make the leaping catch, the other DB probably gets it the ball was so badly thrown.

My main concern with palmer is not so much production but in how jittery he is in the pocket. The whole advantage to him over Kolb IMO was he has a history of standing in and delivering the ball against a pass rush. So it's really surprised me how quickly he's playing scared, in the 2nd Q he threw like 6 passes in a row without stepping into it, you could actually see Moore on the sideline talking to him about his feet.

With a young QB you have to worry about psyche, with a vet if he's that skittish I think you have to pull him.

The difference between Kolb and Palmer is pretty profound. Kolb's jitteriness in the pocket meant that he was running backward and would turn an incomplete pass or a 3-yard sack into a 15 yard sack and (often) fumble. Completely unacceptable.

The deal with Palmer is that he's like a more accurate John Skelton. Palmer looks good enough that it's hard to pull him from the field, especially when you don't have a good reason to pull him. Palmer will make pretty terrible throws at times, but he'll also stand up for himself in the meeting room or on the sideline to explain his decision and why it won't happen again.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing QB games with PALMER and Stanton is something Whis would do.

And it is what got him run out of town. Let's not get crazy up in here. Palmer is a decent-good QB. Stanton is a career backup with some upside.

Advocating switching QBs midgame is what Whis did that eventually tailspun into his downfall from Hero to seeya.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

And it is what got him run out of town. Let's not get crazy up in here. Palmer is a decent-good QB. Stanton is a career backup with some upside.

Advocating switching QBs midgame is what Whis did that eventually tailspun into his downfall from Hero to seeya.
Alternating Warner and Leinart worked.

Haha.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

:yeahthat:

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Palmer is exactly they player I was expecting : a veteran QB who is not very mobile. Give him more protection and you have a pretty good NFL QB. Give him the current bad protection and you'll get the poor throws and a few INTs per game.

Find a way to fix the O-line and Palmer will be good enough.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference between Kolb and Palmer is pretty profound. Kolb's jitteriness in the pocket meant that he was running backward and would turn an incomplete pass or a 3-yard sack into a 15 yard sack and (often) fumble. Completely unacceptable.

The deal with Palmer is that he's like a more accurate John Skelton. Palmer looks good enough that it's hard to pull him from the field, especially when you don't have a good reason to pull him. Palmer will make pretty terrible throws at times, but he'll also stand up for himself in the meeting room or on the sideline to explain his decision and why it won't happen again.

He's MUCH better than Kolb, remember I wanted him not Kolb in the first place.

My issue is he's not nearly as "confident" in the pocket as I expected given his past career. He's missing throws repeatedly now because he's not stepping into them, even when there actually isn't that much heat.

He was so bad in the 2nd quarter I would have yanked him myself.

It worked, we won, but I don't think those 2 INT's surprised anybody who saw the 2nd quarter, you could see the wheels falling off. To his credit, he sucked it up and finished up well, but I'm disappointed so far I expected dumb mistakes, he's always done that, I didn't expect him to be scared in the pocket like he is

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only if you're putting in one crappy QB for another. Stanton is SUPPOSED to be good enough to contend for a starting job. Arians keeps talking about accountability and Cards don't beat Cards, that includes his QB IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer is exactly they player I was expecting : a veteran QB who is not very mobile. Give him more protection and you have a pretty good NFL QB. Give him the current bad protection and you'll get the poor throws and a few INTs per game.

Find a way to fix the O-line and Palmer will be good enough.

You have to be able to survive the 3 bad throws per game that Palmer will give you. Sometimes these throws are INTs, sometimes they are balls that defenders drop. Count them for fun next time. You will see that there are at least 3 bad throws from Carson per game.

seesred

Reaction score
One TV shot of Palmer on the sidelines showed a very angry QB telling me someone had turned the wrong way a WR probably. IMO he will get as the season progresses and this O line plays more together.

GBR

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to be able to survive the 3 bad throws per game that Palmer will give you. Sometimes these throws are INTs, sometimes they are balls that defenders drop. Count them for fun next time. You will see that there are at least 3 bad throws from Carson per game.
It seems like we started the season with Carson throwing "two bad passes a game", after 4 games were are up to 3 a game? So how many will it be by game 10? :)

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One TV shot of Palmer on the sidelines showed a very angry QB telling me someone had turned the wrong way a WR probably. IMO he will get as the season progresses and this O line plays more together.

GBR

That was after the pick to Fitz. I think he was saying Fitz was late out of the break but then he threw the ball early because of the pressure. I think he just assumed Fitz knew the ball was coming out early and was supposed to somehow get there quicker.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
That was after the pick to Fitz. I think he was saying Fitz was late out of the break but then he threw the ball early because of the pressure. I think he just assumed Fitz knew the ball was coming out early and was supposed to somehow get there quicker.

Fitz ran a pretty lazy bench route IMO. The break in the route is to gain seperation, and fitz did a half ass job IMO. Very Uncharacteristic of his play and hardly an accurate depiction of his routine performance, but most definitely a lazy route

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Take it for what it is, but Wolfley said on the radio this AM, that BA put that pick on Fitz, he let Revis beat him to the ball and that BA got into it w/ Fitz on the sideline, Wolf said reminded him of Haley and Warner going at it. They played a quote from BA saying something about the first time in a while Fitz got yelled out and later he (BA) apologized to Fitz for it.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it for what it is, but Wolfley said on the radio this AM, that BA put that pick on Fitz, he let Revis beat him to the ball and that BA got into it w/ Fitz on the sideline, Wolf said reminded him of Haley and Warner going at it. They played a quote from BA saying something about the first time in a while Fitz got yelled out and later he (BA) apologized to Fitz for it.

interesting, Palmer clearly thought so on the sideline.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

interesting, Palmer clearly thought so on the sideline.

In his post-game interview, Fitz spoke up like the man he is and took full accountability for that pick, specifically stating that "he should've come out of the break quicker...". :thumbup:

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In his post-game interview, Fitz spoke up like the man he is and took full accountability for that pick, specifically stating that "he should've come out of the break quicker...". :thumbup:

nice to hear and thanks to all I got a bunch of answers on this thread. That play was on Fitz, the clock play, the why didn't we challenge play.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Fanaika thing was terrible. So discouraging on the first play of the game. 5 lineman, 5 rushers. No TEs, No RBs to help. The 2nd OL (RG) takes the second pass rusher from the left. Can you count to two, Fanaika? Cardiac, I don't see how you can doubt this was on Fanaika?

It was just my first impression because of the same play I saw in the Lions game where it was designed for Fanaika to pull and leave Suh unblocked.
BA did say it was a blown assignment in his Monday presser so you are right, Fanaika couldn't count to two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard