since we won a few I don't get it comments

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arians calls TO before the 2 minute warning trying to get the ball back, which I get, but then does NOT challenge the obviously bad spot allowing them to get a first down and run more clock? If you're trying to get the ball back why not challenge it?

I still don't understand the refs running off 20 + seconds after the punt? They said they stopped the clock after the delay of game, hello, by definition the clock stops because the play clock was at zero, did they just explain it wrong or wtf?

First play of the game, Fanaika doubles inside leaving McCoy unblocked for a sack, how does that happen every week?

The roughing play on Bell don't like at all.

The OPI on Housler, I watched highlights this morning and saw at least 4 TD catches where WR's pushed off more than that, watch the Calvin Johnson one 2 hand shove. Of course Rob didn't catch it and wasn't going to be inbounds if he did(2nd foot was out) but that was a huge call on that drive.

My biggest whine is the fake punt, Goldson was leaning forward and then moved forward prior to the snap, how does all the refs watching a fake punt not see that?

We won the game so I'm happy but I gotta say I can't believe Arians didn't pull Palmer, is Stanton that bad or what? Palmer single handedly gave them the game, luckily Schiano gave it back.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot the play where Palmer yells at Mendenhall to split wide left, then Fitz moves over, Mendenhall lines up in the backfield and then we threw the ball to Mendy going right but he dropped it.

Was that a trick play, or did Palmer really NOT know the play and was trying to put Mendenhall outside when he was going to get the ball out of the backfield?

If that was a trick play Mendy and Palmer should be actors.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
arians calls TO before the 2 minute warning trying to get the ball back, which I get, but then does NOT challenge the obviously bad spot allowing them to get a first down and run more clock? If you're trying to get the ball back why not challenge it?

I don't think he challenged it because, teams almost never get the reversal on those plus it looked like the WR landed on TM and rolled off him for the first down. (I'll have to watch it again to be sure).

The D was doing a good job and as it turned out we got the ball back anyway so....

I still don't understand the refs running off 20 + seconds after the punt? They said they stopped the clock after the delay of game, hello, by definition the clock stops because the play clock was at zero, did they just explain it wrong or wtf?

I don't know, NFL rules are crazy sometimes on when the clock restarts.

First play of the game, Fanaika doubles inside leaving McCoy unblocked for a sack, how does that happen every week?

I agree, either it's a mistake by Fanaika (I doubt) or BA doesn't understand that Suh and McCoy are just way to quick and good to leave them untouched. Either way it's bad football.

Ref's jobs are just way to complicated with all these subjective calls they have to make. I agree, bad call.

The OPI on Housler, I watched highlights this morning and saw at least 4 TD catches where WR's pushed off more than that, watch the Calvin Johnson one 2 hand shove. Of course Rob didn't catch it and wasn't going to be inbounds if he did(2nd foot was out) but that was a huge call on that drive.

Fully agree.

My biggest whine is the fake punt, Goldson was leaning forward and then moved forward prior to the snap, how does all the refs watching a fake punt not see that?

Fully agree.

We won the game so I'm happy but I gotta say I can't believe Arians didn't pull Palmer, is Stanton that bad or what? Palmer single handedly gave them the game, luckily Schiano gave it back.

I'm glad he didn't pull Palmer. Monkeying around with your starting QB is not a good thing. Yes Palmer screwed up with those two picks but QB carousel is a dangerous game.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad he didn't pull Palmer. Monkeying around with your starting QB is not a good thing. Yes Palmer screwed up with those two picks but QB carousel is a dangerous game.

I agree on young QB's but not veterans. He's got 6 picks in 4 games and almost all of them are the same who was he throwing to kind of picks. That one in the endzone yesterday if the DB doesn't make the leaping catch, the other DB probably gets it the ball was so badly thrown.

My main concern with palmer is not so much production but in how jittery he is in the pocket. The whole advantage to him over Kolb IMO was he has a history of standing in and delivering the ball against a pass rush. So it's really surprised me how quickly he's playing scared, in the 2nd Q he threw like 6 passes in a row without stepping into it, you could actually see Moore on the sideline talking to him about his feet.

With a young QB you have to worry about psyche, with a vet if he's that skittish I think you have to pull him.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on young QB's but not veterans. He's got 6 picks in 4 games and almost all of them are the same who was he throwing to kind of picks. That one in the endzone yesterday if the DB doesn't make the leaping catch, the other DB probably gets it the ball was so badly thrown.

My main concern with palmer is not so much production but in how jittery he is in the pocket. The whole advantage to him over Kolb IMO was he has a history of standing in and delivering the ball against a pass rush. So it's really surprised me how quickly he's playing scared, in the 2nd Q he threw like 6 passes in a row without stepping into it, you could actually see Moore on the sideline talking to him about his feet.

With a young QB you have to worry about psyche, with a vet if he's that skittish I think you have to pull him.

I am pretty sure that Housler was wide open on the goal line for the first time ever when Palmer threw to the two Bucs in the corner of the end zone.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Housler was wide open on the goal line for the first time ever when Palmer threw to the two Bucs in the corner of the end zone.

I didn't see it that way... Housler was pretty well covered by one guy and it would've taken a perfect pass for him to catch it. The dude who made the INT was actually supposed to bite on the under route (I think being run by Roberts). Roberts didn't sell his route well enough and the guy dropped off at the last minute and made a spectacular play to make that INT. Palmer could've thrown the ball with more loft, however, he probably thought that would've given more time for the DB who was already right next to Housler, to make a play on the ball...
Hard to nail Palmer on that one - the DB simply made a great play...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it that way... Housler was pretty well covered by one guy and it would've taken a perfect pass for him to catch it. The dude who made the INT was actually supposed to bite on the under route (I think being run by Roberts). Roberts didn't sell his route well enough and the guy dropped off at the last minute and made a spectacular play to make that INT. Palmer could've thrown the ball with more loft, however, he probably thought that would've given more time for the DB who was already right next to Housler, to make a play on the ball...
Heh? Must be a different interception than the one I was thinking of here. Looked like there was another defender and at least five yards between the Card receiver catching it. Housler would drop the pass anyway so who cares....

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wrong play, the ball was thrown to Floyd, the under route was Ellington and the DB did read the route but the ball was just so badly underthrown if Banks doesn't catch it the other DB does. I think Housler was wide open on the play but Palmer didn't see him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Heh? Must be a different interception than the one I was thinking of here. Looked like there was another defender and at least five yards between the Card receiver catching it. Housler would drop the pass anyway so who cares....

Wrong play, the ball was thrown to Floyd, the under route was Ellington and the DB did read the route but the ball was just so badly underthrown if Banks doesn't catch it the other DB does. I think Housler was wide open on the play but Palmer didn't see him.

Yea... I was thinking of the INT in the endzone...

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea... I was thinking of the INT in the endzone...

That IS the INT in the endzone, Ellington not Roberts, and Floyd not Housler.

I can sympathize too, 6 picks in 4 games it's hard to keep track of Palmers's bad throws so far.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's not as much CP's psyche as it is the teams. Start pulling QB's because they are having a bad game is a slippery slope, just ask Whiz.

Stanton got almost no reps with the game plan so not really setting him up for success either.

If CP continues to struggle then make the change at the beginning of the week so Stanton gets to practice with the ones.

Plus we don't know how many of those picks are on CP or on the WR's running the wrong route.

I do agree that CP is looking skittish at times and needs to get his mind right but pulling him during the 4th game of the season is premature IMWO.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
The clock run off was because the previous play was stopped in bounds and for some reason the clock stopped. Schiano caught it and kept yelling at the ref that the clock should be rolling.

After the delay of game he made his point and the ref gave a b.s. explanation.

The only reason I know was I happened to catch it also. Don't remember how many minutes were left but I remember the seconds were :53.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clock run off was because the previous play was stopped in bounds and for some reason the clock stopped. Schiano caught it and kept yelling at the ref that the clock should be rolling.

After the delay of game he made his point and the ref gave a b.s. explanation.

The only reason I know was I happened to catch it also. Don't remember how many minutes were left but I remember the seconds were :53.

so they changed the clock after allowing them to run a play with the wrong time? I didn't think they were allowed to although it sounds like they got it right ultimately.

thanks that was quite confusing.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That IS the INT in the endzone, Ellington not Roberts, and Floyd not Housler.

I can sympathize too, 6 picks in 4 games it's hard to keep track of Palmers's bad throws so far.

I had a bunch of people over and was trying to watch the game as closely as I could... not surprised I missed the names.

However, since this is the play we are all talking about, I still contend that the DB made a tremendous adjustment to make that INT. Ellington didn't sell the under-route well enough which gave the DB the drop off his coverage on Ellington and make that great catch.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
BA couldn't challenge that spot because it was inside the final 2 minutes of the half.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a bunch of people over and was trying to watch the game as closely as I could... not surprised I missed the names.

However, since this is the play we are all talking about, I still contend that the DB made a tremendous adjustment to make that INT. Ellington didn't sell the under-route well enough which gave the DB the drop off his coverage on Ellington and make that great catch.

Yeah it's a great play but the point is the ball has to be thrown much higher and much deeper so the only guy who can catch it is Floyd. If that DB falls down, the throw probably goes right to the other DB, it was that underthrown IMO.

You're right about Ellington he didn't sell the route, but a better throw and there's no way that DB can get it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, 82, did you say that Carson Palmer is the best in the league at throwing deep ins and slants?

I don't get it. :)

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA couldn't challenge that spot because it was inside the final 2 minutes of the half.

I guess you're right, the play was snapped at 2:02 which means it ended under 2 minutes.

Thanks, that does explain it, the spot seemed pretty obviously bad for us so I was surprised but that does explain it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hey, 82, did you say that Carson Palmer is the best in the league at throwing deep ins and slants?

I don't get it. :)

Yea! But I was being sarcastic and can't use this :sarcasm: from my iPhone.

But in all seriousness, if you look at his production, he is way more efficient when throwing deep in-routes and slants versus any other pattern... including screens or little flares!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah it's a great play but the point is the ball has to be thrown much higher and much deeper so the only guy who can catch it is Floyd. If that DB falls down, the throw probably goes right to the other DB, it was that underthrown IMO.

You're right about Ellington he didn't sell the route, but a better throw and there's no way that DB can get it.
Honestly I think the ball was just late getting there. I remember hearing Kurt Warner a couple months ago talking about how good Palmer is at anticipating his throws and that's precisely what needed to happen on that play. Just think about that for a second, Palmer likes to anticipate his throws, imagine how in sync he needs to be with his receivers for this to be effective. I think this might explain why Palmer and the receivers seem to be on a different page.

To add to this it looks like Palmer has been doing a lot of looking for an open target as opposed looking for a target that is coming open. Even the TD to Fitz was a little late getting there because he waited for Fitz to come open as opposed to anticipating the throw and hitting him in stride.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Can't argue with any of that Russ... :thumbup:

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

All great points, Russ. Some thoughts:

Can he challenge that, since it's inside of two minutes? (The play started at 2:02. However it ended at 1:56.) It probably can be challenged since it's all before the 2 minute warning, but I just don't know.

I get very annoyed by referees spots. It's worse in College Football, however. And it seems to me like they don't measure nearly as much anymore. If it's close, it seems the ruling is "close enough".

The Fanaika thing was terrible. So discouraging on the first play of the game. 5 lineman, 5 rushers. No TEs, No RBs to help. The 2nd OL (RG) takes the second pass rusher from the left. Can you count to two, Fanaika? Cardiac, I don't see how you can doubt this was on Fanaika?

Coaches should be able to challenge "illegal hits". You are right, the call on Bell was terrible. But, you know any time a guy gets hit hard, there will be a penalty.

Dockett's horsecollar was terrible too. What's he supposed to do when his facemask was getting ripped off by Martin.

Also agree on the Housler call, he did sort of push off for leverage, but that did not affect the defenders ability to get the ball. And it never gets called that way as you said.

The play that pissed me off was where Colledge stayed with the DT on a stunt, and Levi "helped out". The guy was completely blocked, and Colledge left him to then take the stunting DE. He popped him too. Only to have Levi get run over by the DT, because Levi couldn't handle him after Colledge had already done his job for him. Levi followed that up with (surprise!) a false start. (Though I did not see what he did to deserve that, as only his head seemed to move.- I thought that was ok?)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea! But I was being sarcastic and can't use this :sarcasm: from my iPhone.

But in all seriousness, if you look at his production, he is way more efficient when throwing deep in-routes and slants versus any other pattern... including screens or little flares!
:biglaugh:

My Dad pointed out yesterday that Bickley at some point wrote that, with Carson Palmer, that Cards have solved the QB problem.

Now that must have been sarcasm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort