News of the Ravens Game

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Reminds me of that old 4 Tops hit, “It’s the Same Old Song.” If the Cards aren’t tanking, they certainly seem comfortable with losing. I guess you couldn’t objectively say they should have won this game, but if Murray was the QB; I have to wonder.

The Cards had an effective defensive game-plan and after the first drive the Ravens struggled to beat it. If the Cards had put a few more points on the board early, this could have been a different ending. The Cards ran so effectively even the announcers were questioning resting the outcome on Dobbs’ arm. Further some decisions just seemed amazingly passive. With the outcome still in doubt the Cards faced a 4th & 1 at near mid-field. They had previously ran effective QB sneaks. Now instead they simply handed the ball off to Demercado. He’d been fine when it wasn’t an obvious running down, but the Ravens were committed to stopping the run on that play. Instead of the Cards trying to impose their will, they settled for a simple handoff. If they wanted to run, other than a sneak, why not send Dobbs around the end with an option to throw? It was like they were just going through the motions.

The Good News

Finally, after all my pleading, they finally started using McBride. Ertz‘ injury was a plus. McBride’s not perfect as his catch radius is limited. However, with good ball placement he’s a weapon. Now if they can just figure out how Wilson can be one too, this passing game could get dangerous. Of course the QB limits his success.

You’ll recall I’ve been urging them to start Demercado. They finally have, but he got pulled late. I’m not sure if he was injured. You hope not but these mysterious disappearances are concerning me. Like McBride he’s not perfect, but he gets the job done with enough carries. I admit he’s more dependent on decent blocks to stack up yardage than some RBs. Brown gave his usual solid effort downfield. Again I think a better QB would make him highly productive. The O-line was up & down. A few good blocks were made here and there.

On defense Baker seemed back to full health and made several impact plays. His stop on Jackson’s run was outstanding. Thompson made a few good plays but wasn’t consistent against the pass. Collins got his usual sack and almost caused a fumble. He also nicely cancelled a screen pass attempt. The corners played slightly better but didn’t shutdown anyone. The defense eventually wore down but played good enough to win. The offense just kept giving the Ravens a short field. Stills had another good game rushing the passer. Maybe it will launch him. Stille flashed a little. The remainder of the DL was also up and down. Williams seldom had his name called, so his coverage must have been solid. Ojalari got his first sack.

The Bad News

I’ve run out of new adjectives to describe Dobbs’ play. Fortunately the announcers offered up “idiotic” and “horrific.” With no one fearing his passing, they cheat defenders into the box. Enough said. The Cards need Connor back. Without Demercado the cupboard is bare. They could also use a breakaway threat at RB. They need a third WR, as doubling the others is too easy. Marco Wilson still struggles in coverage. Goal line pass defense remains shaky. Thompson is better in the open field but lacks the necessary quickness to be effective in the end zone. The Cards simply cannot cover TEs. White was a total failure. I guess you’d say they were getting improvement from Moore, but he’s not a kick returner; no moves. Hamilton got beaten too often. What’s happened to the punt coverage? Too little hang time? Froholdt had his first bad game. He constantly got pushed back in Dobbs’ face. He also misses some stunts. Cards need a CB who’s a ballhawk to swing momentum. Williams might be the guy. He showed solid hands. Cards failed to shift defense when Ravens shifted to an unbalanced line. Other teams will see that. I expect that’s White’s call.

This was a weak game for the offense. Maybe their worst.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McBride was literally the only thing that made me happy on Sunday. Watching a winnable game against a superior opponent is not fun. This season in totality has been brutal. I have to go through the motions every Sunday, and it's getting old.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think I'll refrain from discussing FroGOAT this week - if the people wanna love him no matter what so be it lol

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The McBride catching radius seems very good after watching his great catch on the 27yards reception

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Happy with McBride and the rookie has looked pretty good receiving. With Dobbs gone Murray should be back soon if not against the Browns. Looking forward to seeing Tune finally getting some reps.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards simply cannot cover TEs.
The Cardinals have given up the 3rd fewest receptions, 8th fewest yards, and T-2nd fewest TDs to TEs. Andrews' TD is the only one they've given up all year.

Their defensive stats overall are terrible, but covering tight ends is the one thing at which the Cards' D has been excelling!

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ravens were there for the taking by pretty much any other team in the NFL. I thought the fourth down flubs when the game was still up for grabs were the early harbingers of the loss. Baffling play calling.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dobbs set up easy 2 touchdowns with the picks, and we should have kicked FG's when we were 4th & 3. McBride was great, as was the combination of Williams, Baker, and Thompson. I watched the game with hardcore Ravens fans & they all came away impressed with how the Cardinals D completely stymied Jackson's arm AND legs.