Robert Nkemdiche aka "The Inactive One"

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He had a good off season, said to be doing what it takes to become a good player. He's been dinged the last few weeks. I'm not writing him off yet. I'd like to see him healthy and get into a regular routine before I judge him. Of course, that may never happen.

So maybe in year three he'll be a healthy, contributing player? Not at all good enough.

And I realize you hedged in your message--this isn't a call-out quote at all, Cbus :)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
So maybe in year three he'll be a healthy, contributing player? Not at all good enough.

And I realize you hedged in your message--this isn't a call-out quote at all, Cbus :)
I agree he needs to get on the field. But, for arguments sake, let's say he comes in next year and makes the pro bowl. No one is going to care that he missed time with a calf injury this year. I doubt that happens but I think he can be a solid contributor if he can get into a routine and stay off the injured list.

Actually, you know what, I'm being hypocritical. I've been on Troy Niklas and he's been ineffective mostly because of injury. I should hold Nkemdiche to the same standard.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree he needs to get on the field. But, for arguments sake, let's say he comes in next year and makes the pro bowl. No one is going to care that he missed time with a calf injury this year. I doubt that happens but I think he can be a solid contributor if he can get into a routine and stay off the injured list.

Actually, you know what, I'm being hypocritical. I've been on Troy Niklas and he's been ineffective mostly because of injury. I should hold Nkemdiche to the same standard.

Plus, while that would be awesome, it would then put us in a bind, as he'll have wasted two years of his rookie contract.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I warned this was a unnecessarily risky pick at draft time. I couldn’t believe the Cards once again picked a player that couldn’t contribute year one. It wasn’t like I was the only one warning about this.

CBS - “Scouting community has serious concerns about his personal character and work ethic.”

SB Nation's Stephen White, a former NFL defensive tackle,

“Off-field concerns are entirely legitimate and will take a lot of vetting. There are also questions about how well he’ll take hard coaching.

“The whole time I watched him damn near walk on that play, I wondered to myself how hard is he going to work at being better with his hands? How much is he going to be willing to sacrifice to reach his potential?”

SI - “Off-field concerns are entirely legitimate and will take a lot of vetting. There are also questions about how well he’ll take hard coaching.“

The signs were there but the Cards went with wishful thinking. That’s rarely a path to success.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I warned this was a unnecessarily risky pick at draft time. I couldn’t believe the Cards once again picked a player that couldn’t contribute year one. It wasn’t like I was the only one warning about this.

CBS - “Scouting community has serious concerns about his personal character and work ethic.”

“Off-field concerns are entirely legitimate and will take a lot of vetting. There are also questions about how well he’ll take hard coaching.

“The whole time I watched him damn near walk on that play, I wondered to myself how hard is he going to work at being better with his hands? How much is he going to be willing to sacrifice to reach his potential?”

SI - “Off-field concerns are entirely legitimate and will take a lot of vetting. There are also questions about how well he’ll take hard coaching.“

The signs were there but the Cards went with wishful thinking. That’s rarely a path to success.

This pick has the potential to be the biggest bust of all time for the franchise, as his position is a key missing ingredient. The interior and #2 CB are the 2 areas keeping this team from having a decent to solid chance.

I won't say RN is the bust, but the pick most certainly may be.

Reaction score

SB Nation & SI had identical quotes? Same person working for both mags?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This pick has the potential to be the biggest bust of all time for the franchise, as his position is a key missing ingredient. The interior and #2 CB are the 2 areas keeping this team from having a decent to solid chance.

I would not put him in the Top 5 Cardinal draft busts of all time. Heck, he might not even make Top 10.

1. Wendell Bryant
2. Tom Knight
3. Levi Brown
4. Andre Wadsworth
5. Matt Leinart

Just to name five off the top of my head.

......that is not to say the Nkimdiche is not a B-U-S-_. I am waiting for him to be healthy again this year, and see how he does after that.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I would not put him in the Top 5 Cardinal draft busts of all time. Heck, he might not even make Top 10.

1. Wendell Bryant
2. Tom Knight
3. Levi Brown
4. Andre Wadsworth
5. Matt Leinart

......that is not to say the Nkimdiche is not a B-U-S-_. I am waiting for him to be healthy again this year, and see how he does after that.

I partly agree with what you are saying, as we have had some hard misses. I am mainly looking at the fact that the lack of production from this pick (drafted to replace CC) is really hurting this team. Wendell Bryant is everyones #1, but its not as if the team was going to do anything of any significance back then, where by comparison, I believe this team has a shot, if the interior DL and #2 CB can produce. Getting better production from those 2 positions makes this D way better than what they are.

Let's hope he can recover sometime soon and give us the added push we need up the middle. If he can force a double team, it ought to free up the edges for more production.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I partly agree with what you are saying, as we have had some hard misses. I am mainly looking at the fact that the lack of production from this pick (drafted to replace CC) is really hurting this team. Wendell Bryant is everyones #1, but its not as if the team was going to do anything of any significance back then, where by comparison, I believe this team has a shot, if the interior DL and #2 CB can produce. Getting better production from those 2 positions makes this D way better than what they are.

Let's hope he can recover sometime soon and give us the added push we need up the middle. If he can force a double team, it ought to free up the edges for more production.

I get you.

I would put Jonathan Cooper on this list then too. He was supposed to sure up the line, and instead this team has been looking for a LG ever since.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

1. Wendell Bryant
2. Tom Knight
3. Levi Brown
4. Andre Wadsworth
5. Matt Leinart

Meh, Wadsworth on this list is totally justified. He made the all rookie team in 1998 and had a fairly productive 1999. Injuries and a serious one at that did him in. Kdemdiche on the other hand hasn't had any serious ones just a constant string of them. Brown at least played even if he was a turnstile and was actually a decent RT and met complete failure when they moved him to LT.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Lol oh heck no not even in the top freaking 10. Nkimdeche was picked at the very end of the first round dude. This wasn't some top 5 picks.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1. Wendell Bryant
2. Tom Knight
3. Levi Brown
4. Andre Wadsworth
5. Matt Leinart

All good bust choices, but a few more good ones from the St. Louis era:

- 1987 6th overall pick - Kelly Stouffer QB - sat out the whole season & re-entered the 88 draft. Never played a down for us.
- 1984 17th overalll pick - Clyde Duncan WR - 4 career receptions. Nothing else needs to be said
- 1965 12th overall pick - Joe Namath - Bidwill lowballed him, he then put the AFL on the map by signing with the Jets. One of the most embarrassing moments, not just for the Cardinals, but also for the NFL.
- 1978 15th overall pick - Steve Little K - we all know what happened here, no need to further depress us.
- 1977 19th overall pick - Steve Pisarkiewicz QB - was drafted to replace Jim Hart. Started 4 games in his Cardinal career & trust me, it was ugly

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The toothpaste is out of the tube. We have little to lose if we stick with him. Be patient. Keep him. Look for opportunities for him to succeed.

But do not rely (I repeat RELY) on him with a game on the line. We're at the "draw from an inside straight" point in his career. It is what it is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. Wendell Bryant
2. Tom Knight
3. Levi Brown
4. Andre Wadsworth
5. Matt Leinart

IMO the worst bust in Cards history didn't happen in ARizona.

I'd say the worst was WR Clyde Duncan, the Cards were a playoff team that desperately needed another WR and a punt returner. Everyone expected us to take Louis Lipps who did both, but instead we took Duncan, he was terrible, Lipps was the ROY in Pittsburgh, and we didn't make the playoffs.

I'd also say the K picks of Steve Little and John Lee were busts of pretty epic proportions.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

1. Wendell Bryant
2. Tom Knight
3. Levi Brown
4. Andre Wadsworth
5. Matt Leinart

Pretty much this. I do have a soft spot for Wads because his knee was shredded to start his career and he never recovered.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1. Wendell Bryant
2. Tom Knight
3. Levi Brown
4. Andre Wadsworth
5. Matt Leinart

Look I know Levi Brown did not come close to living up to his draft position, but he was a lineman that started and played 5 years in the nfl and he was not horrible - not good but not horrible. He is not a nearly as bad as many Cards fans make him out to be, yes he was a bust, but a top 5 bust No. 90% of the hatred about Levi Brown is that he was selected instead of Adrian Peterson.

I would argue Jonathan Cooper, Beanie Wells, and even Michael Floyd were bigger busts than Levi Brown. If you want to include 2nd rounders, which is almost what nkemdiche was then you would have to add picks like Jamel Flemming, Cody Brown, and Ryan Williams who were all far worse than Levi.

By the way 1 and 2 have to be Wadsworth and Wendel Bryant in some order, neither did anything at all as high draft picks.

I do not think it is correct at all to be labeling Nkemdiche a bust yet, he has not played enough games to really know, although it doesn't look good at this point.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Look I know Levi Brown did not come close to living up to his draft position, but he was a lineman that started and played 5 years in the nfl and he was not horrible - not good but not horrible. He is not a nearly as bad as many Cards fans make him out to be, yes he was a bust, but a top 5 bust No. 90% of the hatred about Levi Brown is that he was selected instead of Adrian Peterson.

I would argue Jonathan Cooper, Beanie Wells, and even Michael Floyd were bigger busts than Levi Brown. If you want to include 2nd rounders, which is almost what nkemdiche was then you would have to add picks like Jamel Flemming, Cody Brown, and Ryan Williams who were all far worse than Levi.

By the way 1 and 2 have to be Wadsworth and Wendel Bryant in some order, neither did anything at all as high draft picks.

I do not think it is correct at all to be labeling Nkemdiche a bust yet, he has not played enough games to really know, although it doesn't look good at this point.

No consistency here, you label Wadsworth a bust yet Nkemdiche you are saying wait on because of injuries. Wadsworth made the all rookie team his first year. Wadsworth's career went to hell because of a horrendous knee injury yet you are saying wait on Nkemdiche because of injuries. In the first two years (17 games) Wadsworth had 7 sacks and an INT, tackles stats were not kept when he played. Nkemdiche on the other hand has exactly 2 tackles period. I don't think Wadsworth belongs anywhere near the top 5.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No consistency here, you label Wadsworth a bust yet Nkemdiche you are saying wait on because of injuries. Wadsworth made the all rookie team his first year. Wadsworth's career went to hell because of a horrendous knee injury yet you are saying wait on Nkemdiche because of injuries. In the first two years (17 games) Wadsworth had 7 sacks and an INT, tackles stats were not kept when he played. Nkemdiche on the other hand has exactly 2 tackles period. I don't think Wadsworth belongs anywhere near the top 5.

Yes, I understand Wadsworth, and many of these busts were only busts because of injury. Wadsworth's injury ended his career, Nkemdiche has played in like 4 games total now, and has in no way had a career ending or debilitating injury. For all we know he could play the last 8 games this year and be successful.

Look before preseason I too had basically written him off, but he looked very good albeit against 2nd stringers, I am not willing to call him a bust based on him playing less than 50 snaps so far this year.

Nkemdiche got in very few snaps his rookie year, and very few so far this year. Granted he has yet to produce, but it is obvious he does have the physical skills to succeed, it is all mental and technique with him - and that can be improved. From the interviews I have heard with him, I don't think he seems to be a headcase at all either, he seems motivated and intelligent. If he does have a problem perhaps it is toughness, and a desire to improve but I don't really know.

Perhaps you and I viewed him different from day 1, I always knew he was a project pick. Statistically he did not do much in college, but his athletic skill and the flashes he showed are why the cards were interested in him. I always assumed it would take him a while to meet his potential if it was ever going to happen, he just has not had enough playing time yet to know whether he will get better of not.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yes, I understand Wadsworth, and many of these busts were only busts because of injury. Wadsworth's injury ended his career, Nkemdiche has played in like 4 games total now, and has in no way had a career ending or debilitating injury. For all we know he could play the last 8 games this year and be successful.

Look before preseason I too had basically written him off, but he looked very good albeit against 2nd stringers, I am not willing to call him a bust based on him playing less than 50 snaps so far this year.

Nkemdiche got in very few snaps his rookie year, and very few so far this year. Granted he has yet to produce, but it is obvious he does have the physical skills to succeed, it is all mental and technique with him - and that can be improved. From the interviews I have heard with him, I don't think he seems to be a headcase at all either, he seems motivated and intelligent. If he does have a problem perhaps it is toughness, and a desire to improve but I don't really know.

Perhaps you and I viewed him different from day 1, I always knew he was a project pick. Statistically he did not do much in college, but his athletic skill and the flashes he showed are why the cards were interested in him. I always assumed it would take him a while to meet his potential if it was ever going to happen, he just has not had enough playing time yet to know whether he will get better of not.

I understand where you are coming from. If anything I blame this pick on Keim. My position is you don't waste 1st round picks no matter where in the first round they occur on projects. I want players that can hit the ground running and make a significant contribution in their first year. Keim took Nkemdiche with the hope he would replace Campbell in his second year which was a risky proposition in the first place and it also ended up telling us they had no intention of resigning Campbell almost from the get go unless for some reason Campbell accepted a contract below his market value. I think the drafting of Baker is a tell tale sign of what is going to happen to the Badger. I think they will ask him to take a pay cut or opt out of the contract leaving him to be a FA. If I were the GM I would never have touched Nkemdiche because he never showed a desire or drive to be the best at his position in college which to me is a sure sign of a talented player who doesn't have the drive to be the best he could be. Nkemdiche could have the skills of Reggie White but if he doesn't have the desire to sharpen those skills and the desire or the drive to be considered one of the best in the game, then all those skills are worthless.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will this guy ever be a shadow of the player he was in college?

Will he go down as a great pick or a wasted pick? :shrug:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He is the same player. Always took plays and games off. The Big Tease. He played ( occasionally )for pay at Ole Miss and nothing much has changed.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from. If anything I blame this pick on Keim. My position is you don't waste 1st round picks no matter where in the first round they occur on projects. I want players that can hit the ground running and make a significant contribution in their first year.

+1

Unfortunately the Cardinals do not believe in this, and continue to take small school players, that they feel can "learn" and "improve". That is great in theory and all, but the real question to the Cardinals front office should be....."and how has that been working out for you?"