RM: Mock Draft Extravaganza: Part 2 of 2

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Hello NFL-o-sphere,

Alright, this isn't fun anymore (well actually it is but I am being dramatic). While I try to stick to the rules of the board, this one time I think this applies. When it comes to this NFL draft, I have one thing to say,

W.T.F.

Seriously, there is no way to to get a good handle on things this year, there are so many directions the Cardinals can go, not to mention with "smoke screen" season going on, it makes it worse, because the Cardinals are really selling their ideas in the media.

1. I could post a few mocks, but they are nothing special this year, so I think its best to look at the roster instead of mocks.

2. But this is a mock extravaganza, so I will post some, and first few, I think the Cardinals can take advantage of the unique situation the Raiders are in, where they have to sell a team to the fans that is moving in 2 years. Thus they could be making moves to win-now. When it comes to a trade partner, I think the Raiders, who the Cardinals have worked with a lot over the years, will be a realistic one.

3. Then I have some general mocks, but with this deep of a draft, they are so eclectic with not only the players but who is available when. I am only using databases from Fanspeak, CBS, and Walterfootball since when I try any others, everything just gets crazy.

1. The Roster:

QB:
This is something the Cardinals have to address at come point in the next two years. Yes, Palmer is signed till 2018, and yes, I agree, his skills are trending downward. But, Carson Palmer is not the focal point of this offense. David Johnson is, the Cardinals can go full re-build next season, and transition from Carson Palmer. Mind you Drew Stanton is 32 years old as well. The Cardinals really need to start addressing this position in more ways then one.

True or False: The Cardinals will not draft a QB in round 1. I say this is false. Ridiculous to think the Cardinals won't address this position if the opportunity will be there. There are WAY too many teams looking QB in front of the Cardinals right now. Trading down is a great option in this draft.

Need: Higher than normal. Always a good move to draft quarterbacks. At least on every other year, IMHO.

RB:
Actions speak louder than words. David Johnson, Kerwynn Williams, and Elijia Penny. Arians likes those veteran, low cost running backs. They didn't sign one, they have been in talks with Chris Johnson, but nothing is signed. Why? Because the Cardinals are looking to draft a running back. There are a host of running backs the Cardinals can key on in the draft. I have not really looked at any players in the top rounds, but a running back like Alvin Kamara I have seen dropping in value. This back would be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd round. Perfect for the Cardinals. Never even put him in my mind until a few weeks ago when I saw him dropping into the Cardinals range.

True or False: The Cardinals are fine at running back, and do not need to draft one. FALSE.

Need: Normal. Mid to late round. Backup plan is to sign Chris Johnson post-draft.

WR:
The conversations I have had on this board about wide receivers has been great. One of the better interactions I have had on ASFN in years. A lot of posters are really making good cases for the situation. The truth is, on paper, the Cardinals are in good shape: Fitzgerald, John Brown, Jaron Brown, JJ Nelson, and add in Aaron Dobson, and Jeremy Ross. For years, I have always talked about a big bodied possession receiver, and while I didn't like the Michael Floyd pick, when sober, he was a perfect fit for the role. Yeah, I think I have become fixated on this role. Here I am barking up the tree for a mid-round big bodied receiver., and the Cardinals quietly signed Aaron Dobson, he could be that guy for that role, and if not ? I will take Jaron Brown and put my trust in him to make the catch to move the chains.

The real situation I think the Cardinals are going to have to wrestle with is what happens next season when Larry Fitzgerald is jet-setting in September because he is retired ?

True or False: The Cardinals NEED TO replace Michael Floyd with a high draft pick (3rd round of higher). False, because its the wrong question. The question is do the Cardinals have enough depth for when Fitzgerald leaves.

Need: High. For 2017? The Cardinals can roll the dice and go with what they got. But, this is Larry Fitzgerald's swan song. Going into 2018 with John Brown, Jaron Brown, and JJ Nelson. I think Corey Davis is going to be available at #13, and I think the Cardinals are going to have a tough decision there.

TE:
I know John Gambodoro of KTAR is abrasive to you west coast types. LOL. But, here on the east coast that is just a normal personality, for better or worse. I listen to Burns & Gambo a lot, they brought up a GREAT point. For some reason or another, organizations have things they do really well and things they do poorly. The Patriots (seen as a the gold standard by many) cannot draft a wide receiver to save their life, the kid Mitchell they drafted last year was pretty good, but that is one out of so many receivers that it is almost shocking. Yet, if you look at pass rushers ? The Patriots own that part of player evaluation. What am I getting at ? The Cardinals cannot analyze a tight end to save their lives. While I like OJ Howard a lot, he is just not in the plans at #13, not for the Cardinals at least, and the rest ? In a draft this deep at other positions, I'd rather they go the UDFA route this offseason.

True or False: The Cardinals cannot evaluate a tight end to save their jobs. TRUE.

Need: None. Sign Joshia Price, or Taylor MacNamara, or Sean Culkin, or Blake Jarwin as a UDFA.

OL:
I am not worried about the Cardinals offensive line. So, nice to finally say that. Steve Keim gets to hang his hat on one thing about his influence with the Cardinals, and that is he has done EXACTLY what he said he would do. He was going to make sure the Cardinals are strong in the trenches. You ready, because here comes the statement that will get people keyed up: "THE OFFENSIVE LINE IS THE HARDEST SITUATION TO BRING TOGETHER IN THE NFL". Yup. Harder than getting a Quarterback, harder than just about anything. It is a lost art, and the college/highschool game is not helping a bit. Furthermore, the creation of these defensive linemen that are literally super-beasts is not helping either. For example, what in the hell do you do to stop Khalil Mack?

DJ Humphries, Jared Veldheer, John Wetzel, Mike Iupati, Evan Boehm, Cole Toner, A.Q. Shipley. That is some good depth right there for today's NFL. It is not the best in the NFL, but from the days of Levi Brown, Daryn College, Adam Synder, and Jeremy Bridges? Or dare I say, D'Anthony Batiste, and Bobby Massie? Yeah, the Cardinals have really improved this group.

True or False: The Cardinals need to draft a right guard high in the draft. False. The Cardinals typically do not start rookie O-Linemen, and Evan Boehm and John Wetzel can fight it out at right guard. I am personally interested in seeing John Wetzel after a year in the system, not to mention Wetzel is the "swiss army knife" player for the Cardinals this year.

Need:
Below normal. You cannot have it all in the draft. Players like Forrest Lamp could drop to the 2nd round, or one of my favorite players this draft, Dion Dawkins could be had in the 2nd or 3rd. I just do not see the Cardinals going there this draft.

DL:
There is a reason the Cardinals have kept a hold of the defensive linemen on their roster over the last few years. They feel the group of defensive linemen they have is still a strength on this team. I agree, but there is going to be some hand wringing (rightfully so) about losing Calias Campbell. There are some really good fits for the Cardinals in this draft, just don't think the Cardinals are looking there. Not to mention I have had Jonathan Allen falling to #13 about 3% of the time in my mock drafts.........I take him every single time by the way. Why not draft Allen, and then trade a prospect later? Again, I do not see it happening. But, MAN it is hard not drafting Carlos Watkins when he is there in all the mocks I simulate. This is just another example of the Cardinals making sure they have talent and depth in the trenches, just like the offensive line, Keim has done a really good job with the defensive line.

True or False: The Cardinals are fine without Calias Campbell. True.

Need: Low to none.

Edge Rushers:
In today's NFL, it is kind of like sexual preferences, LOL, "Why do you have to put a label on it?" Is David Johnson a running back or wide receiver, is Andre Ellington a running back or receiver, is Tyrann Mathieu a safety or a corner back, is Chandler Jones a 3-4 OLB, a 4-3 DE, or a 4-3 DT ? Thus I like this new trend of calling DE's or OLB's "edge rushers".

This again is another good conversation with ASFN. The Cardinals have very good edge rushers, Marcus Golden and Chandler Jones can dominate games, just ask perennial Superbowl favorites, the Seattle Seahawks about trying to block these two. The Cardinals completely shutdown the Seattle offense twice last season. I like Jarvis Jones for the role they need him to play, and think Alex Okafor made a HUGE mistake not re-signing (he is not a starter in the NFL, just a role player and won't play anymore in New Orleans then he would have here). Not to mention I am a fan of Kareem Martin, plays special teams, and is a solid player when asked to go play defense. Pass rushers are hard to find, unless you are the Patriots of course.

Yet, you very convincing posters on ASFN, have really sold me on the fact that it is always good to pick up a pass rusher if they are available. Not to mention there are some pretty good prospects in the draft, not a lot but they are scattered among the draft. Players that I like are all top draft picks unfortunately, (Charles Harris, TJ Watt, Takkarist McKinley, Ryan Anderson, that is why I am not seeing the Cardinals take one, but I will just say that if you read ASFN there are some posters that are really looking under every rock at the position and are making some good cases for some mid-roung players.

True or False: The Cardinals are fine with what they have for pass rushers. **I dunno, I think they are but won't be surprised if they draft one.**

Need: Normal. aka "it's always a good idea to draft a pass rusher if the opportunity is there."

Inside Linebacker:
I am really starting to hate this position. It is another situation where this is a lost art in the NFL, because of the highschool/college game. A light weight, quicker, coverage linebacker is great for college and highschool.........then those players come to the NFL, and they get DEMOLISHED in the running game. I still have visions of Kevin Minter, and Deone Bucanon getting DESTROYED by the Buffalo Bills offensive line and fullbacks.

If you ask me, this is the biggest need with the least amount of options. Deone Bucanon, Karlos Dansby, Alani Fua, Gabe Martin, Zavier Gooden, & Scooby Wright. I dunno, that is just a bad situation if you ask me. Plenty of special teams potential, but the Cardinals need someone on defense to be making some tackles behind that defensive line. I am not a big Deone Bucanon fan as a ILBer.

True or False: The Cardinals have to invest in the inside linebacker position this draft. TRUE.

Need: High

Cornerback:
Worst smoke screen ever. The Cardinals are looking for nickel back cornerbacks ? Please. They lamented loosing Marcus Cooper, and there is a reason Brandon Williams didn't play last year, and a reason Justin Bethel took a pay cut. I see Patrick Peterson, and Brandon Williams as the only two cornerbacks with safe rosters spots.

The amount of taller, big bodied, press-man coverage cornerbacks in this draft is overwhelming. To the point where most mock drafts I do, I just list the 3 or 4 players that I would take that are available to the Cardinals at that spot. Yet, mattering on the draft database, and how updated the database is, I have seen quality cornerbacks all the way into the 4th round.

Marlon Humphries, Marcus Lattimore, Adoree Jackson, Quincy Wilson, Cordea Tankersly, Fabian Moreau, Kevin King, **** Tabor all good talents and prospects for the Cardinals defense. Then in the later rounds Rasul Douglas, Chidobe Awuzie, Brendon Langley, Howard Wilson, and Brandon Facyson could also fit in nicely as a depth cornerback. And that is just in my opinion, I am sure there are others that could be an option, people seem to like Gareon Conley more than I do for the Cardinals.

True or False:
The Cardinals do not need a cornerback to play on the outside in this draft. FALSE, you kidding me ?

Need: Very High

Safety:
This would be my "no risk it, no biscuit" position in the draft. There are some really good safeties throughout the draft. Malik Hooker is my hands down favorite, yet it has been months since I saw him available in any mock draft simulator, and the same goes for Jamal "The Beast" Adams. Either one of those players is available at #13, and I would put the paper with their name in a T-shirt gun and shoot it up there.

Yet, I am falling into a trap here, and I cannot get out of it. Part of me is thinking the Cardinals catch lightning in a bottle again, and get a late rounder that will be able to help the Cardinals sooner rather than later. The Cardinals lost a lot of knowledge and leadership when Rashad Johnson left last year, but we all saw Johnson was not a NFL starter, his tackling was abysmal. Antione Bethea is a great signing for the Cardinals. This was a very calculated move. The Cardinals know that: A. They will be very young at the safety position this year, and B. Peterson and Mathieu are more efffective when not worrying about lining up other players.

True or False:
The Cardinals need to replace Jefferson, and Swearinger. True. They are in the market for free safeties and strong safeties.

Need: High

Special Teams:
I think the Cardinals are good here. They have overhauled the group, with Phil Dawson, Aaron Brewer, and whomever wins the camp battle between Matt Wile/Richie Leone.

Justin Bethel being healthy, Jaron Brown being healthy, Alani Fua being healthy, and adding players like Jeremy Ross, and Scooby Wright will help.

True or False: The Cardinals need to worry about special teams in the draft. True. Late round linebacker may be a good thing for the Cardinals. Hardy Nickerson would be a good 7th round pick or UDFA.

Need: Low

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
See Spoiler for RM's Mad Scientist Approach to his Drafting, or skip it:

Joe's Draft Madness: Spoiler:

Round 1:
Draft one of these eight players
(in order of priority), or trade down in round one and take a QB (Raiders), or take QB

1. Myles Jarrett - Top Pass Rusher, Special talent

2. Jonathan Allen - Best player in the draft.

3. Malik Hooker - Best safety for the Cardinals need, scheme, and phenominal football player

4. Jamal Adams - Physical freak, too good to pass up.

5. Reuben Foster - ILBers like Foster are rare, Cardinals need + player skill

6. Mike Williams - Cardinals need an outside presence, Williams is that type of player

7. Corey Davis - Razor thin between Williams and Davis, Davis could replace Fitzgerald's role.

8. Solomon Thomas - You cannot pass up on pass rushing talent like this.

2nd Round:
Cornerback, Cornerback, Cornerback:

1. Marlon Humphrey - One of the top cornerbacks, lacks good ball skills, may drop because of supply vs. demand.

2. Quincy Wilson - IMO, best press man coverage cornerback in the draft.

3. Kevin King - Plays fast, and good tackler. Used to playing across from top cornerback.

4. Fabian Moreau - Sticks to his man like glue, good feet, good agility.

5. Cordea Tankersly - Good size, and skill. A 1/2 notch below the rest, but can play man on the outside in NFL

6. **** Tebor - Very good talent, but needs to relize you tackle in football. LOL

7. Adoree Jackson - A great talent, but more of a nickel back type. Also, special team talent.

*IF TRADE WITH RAIDERS COULD PICK UP ANOTHER 2nd Round Pick:
1 - Alvin Kamara, HB - 1st round running back talent, recieving skills, and speed.

2 - Dion Dawkins, OG - Great guard prospect, with ability to play tackle. Too good to pass up.

3 - Takkarrist McKinley, OLB - Instanly replaces Alex Okafor, good hands, better feet, fits what the Cardinals do.

4 - Obi Melifonwu, SS - Has the size of a Adrian Wilson but not as physical, yet has speed and very very good coverage ability. Could lock down TE's like Jimmy Graham.

3rd Round:

Davis Webb, QB
- Very coachable QB, that needs to develop. He would be a steal here. A year under Palmer, and who knows? At worst, replaces Drew Stanton

or

Wide Reciever:
1 - J.J. Smith-Schuster - Size and speed to play on the outside.

2 - Chris Godwin - Speed. A little small, but can play on the outside.

3 - Zay Jones - Size and speed. Hands are average, and route running needs improvement.

4th Round:

- Duke Riley, LB - Speed. Has the ability to cover, and the ability to play the run. Lacks experience and would need to develop under Karlos Dansby.

- Anthony Walker, Jr., LB - The type of linebacker that if everything comes together for him could be a force as a ILBer in a 3-4. A little small and needs to find the balance for the NFL. Very good instincts.

*IF TRADE WITH RAIDERS COULD PICK UP ANOTHER 4th Round Pick:
- Montae Nicholson, SS - Size and speed. A step down from Melifonwu, but basically the same. Great size, and can cover as well.

- Josh Jones, SS - Classic strong safety type. Decent in coverage and a madman against the run. Brings a physical presence to the defense.

or

- Rasul Douglas, CB - An absolute steal in the 4th round. Plays man-coverage very well, and an all-around good talent. Marcus Cooper but can tackle.

- Howard Wilson, CB - Boom/Bust pick. Wilson could end up being a starter, much like Rasul Douglas, or could bust out.

5th round and beyond, take your pick of the following:

QB:
1 - Nate Peterman - Drew Stanton is 32 year old. Peterman has clip-board holder for 10+ season written all over him, but when you need a backup QB, well, there he is.

2 - Brad Kaaya - Pure pocket passer with concrete for feet. Can make all the throws if the pocket is clean, but stinks it up once pressure comes along. Kind of like Carson Palmer in a way. Could end up being adequate as a starter, or a good backup.

HB:
1 - Brian Hill - A good all-around back, with good size. Not the best reciever, but can run.

2 - Jeremy McNichols - Small back, maybe too small. Good speed, and receiving skills.

3 - Elijah McGuire - Solid back. Good runner, receiver, and speed. From a small school.

4- De'Veon Smith - Could be a laste round steal. Good size, good blocker, runs downhill.

WR:
1 - Jalen Robinette - A very large wide reciever, makes plays, but doesn't look as fast as a 4.6.

2 - Josh Malone - Kind of a mystery. Victim of bad QB play? 6'3" 210lbs, 4.4 (forty), good hands.

OL:
1 - Ethan Pocic, G/C - The classic interior lineman who can play guard or center. Good technician but a little small.

2 - J.J. Deilman, C/G/T - A swiss army knife type lineman, but actually can play center.

3 - Ethan Cooper, G - Dominated and then some, but played at a small school.

4 - Greg Pyke, G - Good size, good run blocker, classic OG prospect with good feet.

Inside Linebacker:
1 - Richie Brown, Mississippi St. - From what I have seen on tape, I am not sure Brown is going to be around in the 5th round. He has everything you could want, except top notch coverage, and speed. Very good instincts, good size, good tackling. Great prospect from where I sit. His speed may be why he drops.

2 - Connor Harris - Small school inside linebacker marvel. There is a couple of these players every year. Reminds me of AJ Klein, or a Kevin Minter but one that would make a tackle behind the line of scrimmage. Does he translate to the NFL?

3 - Jalen Reeves-Maybin - A good football player, with good speed. Instant special team impact but would need to find his role on defense somewhere. Little small size wise.

4 - Hardy Nickerson - Good size, good speed, good football player. Nothing more than depth and special teams tho.

CB:

1 - Brandon Langley - Good size, good speed. From a smaller school. Can PR.

2 - Brandon Facycon - Good size and speed. But, doesn't seem to produce much.

FS:
1 - Lorenzo Jerome - The biggest knock on him is speed. Very good ball skills and instincts to play FS. A ball hawking type of player.

2 - John Johnson - Another good free safety type with good instints, average speed. Good tackler

3 - Jadar Johnson - His ability is borderline for the NFL, his football smarts are above normal.

SS:
1 - Montae Nicholson - I have seen him as high as the 3rd round, and low as a 7th. See above.

2 - Josh Jones - See Nicholson.

3 - Nate Gerry - Good size, good speed, good tackler. In the box type, that needs work on coverage.

4 - Jordan Sterns - Reminds me of Tony Jefferson, in just about every way.

I have two Rugbymuffin Mock Drafts, one with not trade down, and one with a trade with the Raiders to swap 1st round picks, and pick up a 2nd and 4th so the Raiders can draft Leonard Fornette.

RM's Mock Draft (no trade):

1 - Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama
2 - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
3 - Davis Webb, QB, California
4 - Montae Nicholson, SS, Michigan St.
5 - Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M
5 - Lorenzo Jerome, FS, St. Francis
6 - Elijah McGuire, HB, LA.-Lafeyette
7 - Richie Brown, LB, Mississippi St.

RM's Mock Draft (trade down w- Raiders):
1 - Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech.
2 - Owu Melifonwu, SS, UCONN
2 - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
3 - J.J. Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
4 - Isaac Isiata, G/V, Utah
4 - Anthony Walker, Jr., ILB, Northwestern
5 - Connor Harris, ILB, Lindenwold
5 - Lorenzo Jerome, FS, St. Francis
6 - Elijah McGuire, HB, LA.-Lafeyette
7 - Blake Jarwin, TE, Oklahoma St.

Now for the extravaganza!

Fanspeak:
1- P.Mahomes, QB
2 - R.McMillan, ILB
3 - J. Smith-Schuster, WR
4 - R. Douglas, CB
5 - L.Jerome, FS
5 - B.Hill, RB
6 - J.Sterns, S
7 - B.Langley, CB

CBS:
1- P.Mahomes, QB
2 - O.Melifonwu, SS
3 - A.Walker, Jr., ILB
4 - T.Tebor, CB
5 - J.Robinette, WR
5 - L.Jerome, FS
6 - J.Deilman, C/G/T
7 - D.Smith, HB (Michigan)

Walter Football:
1 - M.Trubisky, QB
2 - Q.Wilson, CB
3 - M.Dupre, WR
4 - M.Nicholson, SS
5 - C.Tankersly, CB
5 - E.McGuire, HB
6 - J.Reeves-Maybin, ILB
7 - H.Nickerson, ILB

CBS:
1 - J.Allen, DL
2 - D.Kizer, QB
3 - A.Witherspoon, CB <-Headcase
4 - J. Smith-Schuster, WR
5 - Jadar Johnson, FS
5 - E.McGuire, HB
6 - J.Reeves-Maybin, ILB
7 - J.Sterns, S

NFL Mock:
1 - P.Mahomes, QB
2 - Q.Wilson, CB
3 - Z.Jones, WR
4 - G.Kittle, TE
5 - John Johnson, S
5 - E.McGuire, HB
6 - L.Jerome, FS
7 - H.Nickerson, ILB

CBS:
1 - Mike Williams, WR
2 - Q.Wilson, CB
3 - M.Williams, FS
4 - N.Peterman, QB
5 - G.Kittle, TE
5 - J.Reeves-Maybin, ILB
6 - E.McGuire, HB
7 - J.Sterns, S

CBS (Trade with Raiders):
1 - M.Trubisky, QB
2 - A.Kamara, HB
2 - Q.Wilson, CB
3 - Z.Jones, WR
4 - M.Nicholson, SS
4 - G.Kittle, TE
5 - J. Reeves-Maybin, ILB
5 - B.Langley, CB
6 - L.Jerome, FS
7 - H.Nickerson, ILB

Fanspeak (Trade with Raiders):
1 - P.Mahomes, QB
2 - Marcus Williams, FS
2 - F.Moreau, CB
3 - A.Anzalone, ILB
4 - M.Nicholson, SS
4 - J.Robinette, WR
5 - E.McGuire, HB
5 - B.Langley, CB
6 - J.Deilman, C/G/T
7 - Richie Brown, ILB

Walter Football (Trade with Raiders):
1 - P.Mahomes, QB
2 - R.McMilan, ILB
3 - K.King, CB
4 - Josh Jones, SS
4 - J.McNichols, HB
5 - C.Harris, ILB
5 - V.Taylor, DT
6 - Josh Reynolds, WR
7 - J.Sterns, S

CBS - Something completely different:
1 - S.Thomas, OLB
2 - D. Dawkins, OG
3 - C. Watkins, DT
4 - B.Kaaya, QB
5 - D.Foreman, HB
5 - J. Malone, WR
6 - J.Sprinkle, TE
7 - J.Ford, FS

Fanspeak - Strict BPA:
1 - O.Howard, TE
2 - K.King, CB
3 - J.Smith-Schuster, WR
4 - E.Pocic, G/C
5 - B.Hill, HB
5 - Jarron Jones, NT
6 - L.Jerome, FS
7 - B.Jarwin, TE

Pretty Good Sports:
1 - J.Allen, DL
2 - F. Moreau, CB
3 - D.Riley, ILB
4 - M.Dupre, WR
5 - M.Nicholson, SS
5 - E.McGuire, HB
6 - C.Harris, ILB
7 - E.Cooper, OG

Brandon Norris:
1 - C.Davis, WR
2 - M.Humphrey, CB
3 - D.Webb, QB
4 - D.Riley, ILB
5 - M.Nicholson, SS
5 - E. McGuire, HB
6 - L.Jerome, FS
7 - Richie Brown, ILB

Inside the Pylon:
1 - J.Allen, DL
2 - K.King, CB
3 - C.Godwin, WR
4 - A.Walker, Jr., ILB
5 - M.Nicholson, SS
5 - C.Harris, ILB
6 - E. McGuire, HB
7 - L.Jerome, FS

NFL Mock:
1 - R.Foster, ILB
2 - Q.Wilson, CB
3 - J.Smith-Schuster, WR
4 - H.Wilson, CB
5 - John Johnson, S
5 - E.McGuire, HB
6 - J. Sterns, S
7 - H.Nickerson, ILB

Composite:
1 - R.Foster, ILB
2 - K.King, CB
3 - D.Webb, QB
4 - C.Godwin, WR
5 - M.Nicholson, SS
5 - L.Jerome, FS
6 - E.McGuire, HB
7 - Richie Brown, ILB

Fanspeak:
1 - M.Williams, WR
2 - K.King, CB
3 - Josh Jones, SS
4 - T.Tebor, CB
5 - L.Jerome, FS
5 - B.Hill, HB
6 - J.Reeves-Maybin, ILB
7 - Richie Brown, ILB

Walter Football:
1 - J.Allen, DL
2 - O.Melifonwu, SS
3 - D.Webb, QB
4 - C.Tankersly, CB
5 - L.Jerome, FS
5 - J.Reynolds, WR
6 - C.Harries, ILB
7 - H.Nickerson,ILB

That is it. I am done. Bring on the draft!

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job RugbyMuffin. I really like the format of identifying needs.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Rm: agree with your top 8 approach, but would add Marshon Lattimore to make it 9. Also conflicted on OJ Howard. Not sure if he isn't in your top 8 because he isn't worth it, or because you think the Cards won't value him correctly

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Rm: agree with your top 8 approach, but would add Marshon Lattimore to make it 9. Also conflicted on OJ Howard. Not sure if he isn't in your top 8 because he isn't worth it, or because you think the Cards won't value him correctly

Lattimore is a very good prospect, I just do not like him in press coverage. He is going to be an asset to someone like the Seahawks that play a lot of zone.

As for OJ Howard........man, I really like him, and his skill set, but this is one of those year's the Cardinals need to cover up some holes in the roster. Like it or not, needs are filled in the draft.

If the Cardinals were to surprise everyone and draft Howard, I would not complain about it one bit.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Lattimore is a very good prospect, I just do not like him in press coverage. He is going to be an asset to someone like the Seahawks that play a lot of zone.

As for OJ Howard........man, I really like him, and his skill set, but this is one of those year's the Cardinals need to cover up some holes in the roster. Like it or not, needs are filled in the draft.

If the Cardinals were to surprise everyone and draft Howard, I would not complain about it one bit.

I am tossed up on Howard... the kid is obviously a talent,... but do you drop a top 15 pick on a guy you aint going to use to his ability?

I guess it is a perspective thing,...we all know BA does not pass to the TE very often in his offense... but maybe looking at that is an error...maybe we need to look at whichever QB will be leading our offense over the next 10 years,..do THEY pass to the TE a lot?... everyone knows a good te can be a young QB's best friend..

traditionally there are some positions that never get drafted in the top of round 1...
TE, S, C, OG........... but those traditions have been changing over the past few years with the game changing and the addition of the rookie pay scale... I guess old prejudices die hard but I find it difficult to accept a TE at 13,...unless he already has written invitations to the next 8 pro bowls n his pocket

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Looks like you wouldn't hesitate on Mahomes. Don't think it's likely except in a trade down scenario. Let's hope they can pull it off, but Fournette is likely gone, or they trade with Clevland...:cool:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Awesome post RM. I will throw out the idea that since the Cards do suck at identifying TE in recent years(Jackie Smith and JV Cain were studs in their day) that they should draft Howard since he is a no brainer can't miss prospect.

Can't argue with anything else you posted. Again, outstanding post with outstanding deep thoughts.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Looks like you wouldn't hesitate on Mahomes. Don't think it's likely except in a trade down scenario. Let's hope they can pull it off, but Fournette is likely gone, or they trade with Clevland...:cool:

I "like" Mahomes, but actually more times than not, DeShaun Watson was taken before #13, same for Mitch Trubisky. I would take anyone of the three, and be fine with it.

I am wary of Kizer because of his accuracy issues, but I would be fine with Kizer or Webb if they were drafted.

Even Nate Peterman, or Kaaya, in the later rounds would be good. The Cardinals have Palmer, and Stanton who is 32.

Dysert is a 3rd option, but improving/addressing/investing in, the position is something I hope the Cardinals do this draft.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I am tossed up on Howard... the kid is obviously a talent,... but do you drop a top 15 pick on a guy you aint going to use to his ability?

I guess it is a perspective thing,...we all know BA does not pass to the TE very often in his offense... but maybe looking at that is an error...maybe we need to look at whichever QB will be leading our offense over the next 10 years,..do THEY pass to the TE a lot?... everyone knows a good te can be a young QB's best friend..

If the Cardinals were to draft Howard, and I highly doubt they will...........

Knowing Arians and his willingness to move players around, I could see Arians splitting out Howard as an outside receiver.

Why not, he has the speed, size and hands. There is a role for him there.

As for his blocking, we have already seen what Arians can do with Fitzgerald, so Howard can be used.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
nice writeup Rugby.I prefer going the tradedown for picks if possible.IMHO after top 10 there is not a lot of difference overall.This draft lacks real starpower except for Myles Garrett.Lots of good players can be had and many solid players available(lacking superstars but deep in guys who can be solid productive nfl guys.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get the sense that the preferred strategy is to (1) take your shot at an available QB if you like him & be hopeful that you'll strike oil, but (2) be prepared to fail.

Call it an "educated mud against the wall" approach.