RIP My XBOX 360

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy Ryan in Idaho just had his X36 (model year 2006) get the "ring of death". He sent it back prepaid and got a new one in about 10 days.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I am determined to buy either a 360 or a PS3 for the holidays. I am leaning towards the PS3 and stuff like this only helps cement it. The last thing I want is to have to deal with returning some piece of crap that dies.

The new 360's are (supposedly) fine. MS got their act together and fixed the horrible issues associated with the older systems.

I had to deal with support when my console died a few months ago and they were fantastic. I had a brand new 360 in exactly 3 weeks. I'm 99% sure it's brand new since the original clear tape / stickers were still on it and it smelled "fresh." (Most people will know what I mean.) Also, it was less than 2 months old according to the manufacturing date on the back. My new one is MUCH quieter and features the new BENQ disk drive as well.

The PS3 keeps piquing my interest. But for now I'm staying with the console that features the best games / online community. That's all that really matters to me.

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have to agree with Linderbee on this. The last time my Xbox died, they messed everything up so bad that after I called them repeatedly to yell at them they refunded the $130 they wanted to charge me to fix it, then they threw in 4 free games, all because I was an a-hole. My experience last time was terrible. I'm hoping this time it goes smooth.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Linderbee on this. The last time my Xbox died, they messed everything up so bad that after I called them repeatedly to yell at them they refunded the $130 they wanted to charge me to fix it, then they threw in 4 free games, all because I was an a-hole. My experience last time was terrible. I'm hoping this time it goes smooth.
Thank you!

/feels vindicated

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy Ryan in Idaho just had his X36 (model year 2006) get the "ring of death". He sent it back prepaid and got a new one in about 10 days.

Did he proclaim to the people of Idaho having a winner in town?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

/feels vindicated

Everytime I have dealt with MSFT support, I was able to get what I needed by being professional.

I'm just saying you don't have to be a dick to get results.

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everytime I have dealt with MSFT support, I was able to get what I needed by being professional.

I'm just saying you don't have to be a dick to get results.

Actually sometimes you do. My first console was bricked by the fall update last year and I was told over the phone that I was a lying even though it was widely reported that the update was bricking consoles. Then I paid $130 bucks for a box to ship it back that never came. After several reps from Bangladesh screwed up the order multiple times I finally got the box to ship it back, almost a month after the initial call. After I got my new console, I recieved another box. I think you got lucky. My last experience was easily one of the worst ever with any company. The reps were so unorganized as a matter of fact, that they refunded my repair fee twice and shipped me 4 free games instead of two, along with the two boxes. I was getting calls in April asking me if I had shipped it out. Sometimes, you most definitely have to be a dick.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually sometimes you do. My first console was bricked by the fall update last year and I was told over the phone that I was a lying even though it was widely reported that the update was bricking consoles. Then I paid $130 bucks for a box to ship it back that never came. After several reps from Bangladesh screwed up the order multiple times I finally got the box to ship it back, almost a month after the initial call. After I got my new console, I recieved another box. I think you got lucky. My last experience was easily one of the worst ever with any company. The reps were so unorganized as a matter of fact, that they refunded my repair fee twice and shipped me 4 free games instead of two, along with the two boxes. I was getting calls in April asking me if I had shipped it out. Sometimes, you most definitely have to be a dick.

Sometimes you do. I agree.

Not always.

I do agree that the professional guy probably wouldn't have received the free games.

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just called to see if the box had shipped yet, which it hasn't and they told me I will be receiving a free game or accessory as soon as it is processed. Whoo hoo!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just called to see if the box had shipped yet, which it hasn't and they told me I will be receiving a free game or accessory as soon as it is processed. Whoo hoo!

were you a dick?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I just got my 7th xbox back from microsoft today but they said they replaced my model with a brand new one since it would take a while to fix mine so that was cool :). Plus this new model I got is reading games perfectly and even reading some games that were scratched that my older model wouldn't great so thats nice. But I swear if this system dies on me i've had it because it would be the 8th time i've had to send a 360 into get fixed it is in fact very annoying. But the 360 is just so fun to play online it would be hard to give it up for a ps3

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just got my 7th xbox back from microsoft today but they said they replaced my model with a brand new one since it would take a while to fix mine so that was cool :). Plus this new model I got is reading games perfectly and even reading some games that were scratched that my older model wouldn't great so thats nice. But I swear if this system dies on me i've had it because it would be the 8th time i've had to send a 360 into get fixed it is in fact very annoying. But the 360 is just so fun to play online it would be hard to give it up for a ps3

7th time? You know if you stop hitting the damn thing that might help. :shrug:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

I've had one go on me in a year. Told myself that if my new one breaks, I'm done with MS and putting everything up on eBay after I get another unit. 1 broken unit within 9 months isn't really acceptable - 2, not a chance. 7? I would have never gotten to that point.

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
were you a dick?

Yeah, kind of. I wanted to test our hypothesis. I think I crossed the dick barrier. So I took the free controller. The coffin is on the way. After my last experience I was pretty skeptical but so far MS looks like they got their shyte together. I have been playing my dreamcast, and that is the best thing to come of this, because as we know the dreamcast rocks. Disney Magic Kingdom racing is awesome. Nothing like racing on the Haunted Mansion.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, kind of. I wanted to test our hypothesis. I think I crossed the dick barrier. So I took the free controller. The coffin is on the way. After my last experience I was pretty skeptical but so far MS looks like they got their shyte together. I have been playing my dreamcast, and that is the best thing to come of this, because as we know the dreamcast rocks. Disney Magic Kingdom racing is awesome. Nothing like racing on the Haunted Mansion.
:lmao:

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Use the towel trick...Look it up on utube.

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I saw the towel trick and thought about it but my coffin arrived today so I shipped it off. RIP ole buddy.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought one of the new 360s the other day (new model, has the HDMI port). Do I need to register it or anything in order to be eligible for the warranty/customer support (hopefully I'll never need it)?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn