Reality Check - Roster Construction

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First line, Harry. Maybe one poster or two are saying this. The rest of us aren't, but some folks sure wish we were, so they keep saying it over and over again. It's super annoying. 2023 is a tank. We're over that. We're not happy to see a plan that isn't setting us up for 2024 either.

Keeping both Allen and Murphy would only negatively impact future roster flexibility in the fact that they are penciled in as starters. Yes, they'll impact the cap. No, you won't have two more starting holes to fill almost solely through the draft and one FA period, which is what the "plan" appears to be.

We aren't establishing deep lines. We're establishing very temporary and/or old lines, although I have no problem bringing Beachum back on the cheap.

I think someone already blasted the idea of bringing in bust picks and hoping they're no longer busts.

Not all of that is you making stuff up, but there is much to disagree with, and you're painting a very rosy face onto the very ugly pig that is our plan to return to relevancy in 2024.
There is a difference in “ making up” and “ expressing an opinion”.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There is a difference in “ making up” and “ expressing an opinion”.
Not when you're projecting an opinion onto another person, telling them what they're saying when they aren't saying it. Not saying that's you, but the whole "well, some people want success this year" or "well, some folks want to sign big-money FAs this year" baloney is getting annoying.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The narrative about Murphy's injury history has grown substantially since he wasn't re-signed. He had missed 1 game in his career before last year. I know back injuries can be tricky, but there's nothing out there that states that he has a long-term issue.
other than his contract.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Why? Two drafts aren't going to be enough to field a playoff-worthy team without adding a buttload of FAs. Why would anyone think otherwise?
im saying--

the draft is the most valuable aspect to any teams off season. Its the lifeblood of any team.

If you are a team wife proper talent evaluators you shouldn't need to frantically free up money every off-season and over pay for band-aids

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Who said we're going to be worse next year?
We're talking up in this upcoming season, when players on the team are saying we're tanking.
If we draft smart this year, sign quality free agents in 2024 and draft smart again, how would we be worse next year?
Again, we're back to the same question. If we're ass next year as everyone is predicting, why would FA's come here, barring a massive overpayment?
there is zero reason to suggest we'd be worse off next year than we are right now.
When your at ground level, everything is up.
But do your thing, enjoy your little poop on Monti party before he even gets started.
I swear some of you act like you're related to these people. Who said anything about Monti?
Everybody wanted major changes this year
Let's not pluaralize here, eh? Not all major changes are good. People want to see a plan and a path. Do you see it?
but some just seem to be forever unhappy or devoid of any hope and I get it... this is the way.
As a Cards fan, hope is all we got.
I'm guessing this is the part where you say I don't understand football (again)
Never have, but go on.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
We're talking up in this upcoming season, when players on the team are saying we're tanking.

Again, we're back to the same question. If we're ass next year as everyone is predicting, why would FA's come here, barring a massive overpayment?

I swear some of you act like you're related to these people. Who said anything about Monti?

Let's not pluaralize here, eh? Not all major changes are good. People want to see a plan and a path. Do you see it?

Never have, but go on.
lol

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Never have, but go on.
which players are saying that? I have not seen it.
unless you are mistakenly talking about dude supporting Tommy Tanks for hitting a home run for his alma mater?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
which players are saying that? I have not seen it.
unless you are mistakenly talking about dude supporting Tommy Tanks for hitting a home run for his alma mater?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Skeeeet!!!!

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
First line, Harry. Maybe one poster or two are saying this. The rest of us aren't, but some folks sure wish we were, so they keep saying it over and over again. It's super annoying. 2023 is a tank. We're over that. We're not happy to see a plan that isn't setting us up for 2024 either.

Keeping both Allen and Murphy would only negatively impact future roster flexibility in the fact that they are penciled in as starters. Yes, they'll impact the cap. No, you won't have two more starting holes to fill almost solely through the draft and one FA period, which is what the "plan" appears to be.

We aren't establishing deep lines. We're establishing very temporary and/or old lines, although I have no problem bringing Beachum back on the cheap.

I think someone already blasted the idea of bringing in bust picks and hoping they're no longer busts.

Not all of that is you making stuff up, but there is much to disagree with, and you're painting a very rosy face onto the very ugly pig that is our plan to return to relevancy in 2024.
I suggest you reread the thread, “Are the Cards Tanking” Looks like more than a couple of posters to me!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
well i should elaborate it will take multiple drafts.

Drafting good quality playerS is THE.MOST.IMPORTANT.ASPECT.OF.A.GENERAL.MANAGERS.JOB.FOR.A.REASON.
Fun fact, two of the Chiefs three best OL are free agent signings from other teams.

Reactions: PJ1

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
well i should elaborate it will take multiple drafts.

Drafting good quality playerS is THE.MOST.IMPORTANT.ASPECT.OF.A.GENERAL.MANAGERS.JOB.FOR.A.REASON.

Dunno how you measure "good quality players" but I think the facts are that drafting is mostly random and guys who have an exceptional draft class really struggle to repeat the feat down the road.

Having a sound design for your team and keeping the quality players you draft and develop through their second contract is probably more important, really.

People talk a lot about Philly's drafted offense, but IIRC they got smoked by every good QB they played and lost the Super Bowl. How'd the Super Bowl Champs build their Lombardi Trophy-winning offensive line?

Orlando Brown - Traded from BAL (former 3rd round pick, 3-year starter when traded)
Andrew Wylie - Practice Squad player (bounced around rosters his first year as a UDFA, re-signed by KC last year)
Creed Humphrey - 2nd round pick (second year started 17 games as a rookie)
Trey Smith - 6th Round Pick (second year started 16 games as a rookie)
Joe Thuney - Free agent (second contract after playing rookie deal with NEP + 1 year on franchise tag)

It takes a village.

its remarkable that so many people valued zack allen and byron "back spasms" murphy so much

Is it? Both guys were among our four or five best defensive starters who were planning to play in the 2023 season. They're also both 25 and likely to be active players maximizing their potential when the Cards are ready to compete again.

People playing the "Christian Kirk is just a JAG" tune about these guys -- it's so tired.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why would you pay good players decent money through a tank and not just sign similar good players when you're through the tank and have the money you just saved?

If we spend $20m on guys in a tank year that's $20m you don't have to carry over to spend on guys in 2024.

Why not just sign similar guys in 2024 AND have an extra $20m you didn't just waste?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Allen because the price of expectations reached new heights.
Isn't paying good young players on the lines part of building a successful team? Couldn't they structure most of the cap hit this year, so it's more friendly as time goes on?

Still keeping both might well have negatively impacted the future roster flexibility.
Well sure, keeping young good players will cost money, but isn't that what good teams do?
It’s old school but establishing effective, deep lines has historically been a path to reasonable competitiveness.
I love the idea! I don't see that happening at all here. We've lost our two best players on the D-line and replaced them with nobody. We've lost Hudson on the O-line, and have added nobody of any regard - just a bunch of lottery tickets and hope.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You made a good point about Connor I missed and would absolutely cut him now.

But Ertz is the trickier though being that he ended the season on IR and won't be able to pass a physical right now. They'd have to agree to an injury settlement, but that part isn't the big deal. Getting rid of a playing in the middle of some of the most important parts of rehab is a bad look. If the Cardinals are tying to fix their image, this isn't thr way IMHO.

I'd rather let him play the second half of the season and try to trade him at the deadline or next off session and take the $4 million in dead money in exchange for a late round pick. And who knows, maybe him and Kyler come back together and we real odd some wins to end the season and build momentum into next season.

You save zero money cutting Conner now. You lose money this year and next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson