Rashad and Powers not coming back?

BIGRED1959

Go Cardinals!
Reaction score
Per Rotoworld, the team expects to move on from one or both. Between Badger, Jefferson, deone, the team is fairly talented at the position.

My issue is obviously we need to draft or sign another Cornerback. But for safty depth is the team really going to rely on Chris Clemons?? As it stands right now I have toi assume Deone will be converted to linebacker so that leaves a big hole at safety. Hopefully Rashad can be brought back on a 1 or 2 year deal at the end of free agency but with many teams looking for safety depth I would think Rashad gets signed on the first days of free agency.

I hope Keim can keep this secondary as strong as it is

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Per Rotoworld, the team expects to move on from one or both. Between Badger, Jefferson, deone, the team is fairly talented at the position.

My issue is obviously we need to draft or sign another Cornerback. But for safty depth is the team really going to rely on Chris Clemons?? As it stands right now I have toi assume Deone will be converted to linebacker so that leaves a big hole at safety. Hopefully Rashad can be brought back on a 1 or 2 year deal at the end of free agency but with many teams looking for safety depth I would think Rashad gets signed on the first days of free agency.

I hope Keim can keep this secondary as strong as it is

Maybe Swearinger.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I like Rashad Johnson and all, but his Madden rating for tackling should be like 10.

Not really stressing about losing either player.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
While I believe the skills that Powers and Johnson bring are replaceable, I also worry about a ton of veteran players leaving the secondary being too young. Johnson sets up the secondary, and so we have to wonder who they bring in to take that role. Some may say Mathieu, but we don't know if he will be healthy, and Mathieu doesn't play in the back up of the defense.

Powers ability to play in the slot and the outside is also valuable, and we will see how they replace that.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shouldn't state opinions as facts in the subject line. We may let them test free agency but nothing have been said that we are for sure not bringing them back.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Swearinger is an option, or we can draft a guy for the safety position. Powers is smart, but his production could be replicated by someone of at least equal talent for a decent price. We didn't pay that much for him coming in.

I bet at least one of the two re-signs.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Free agency and the draft are filled with talented DB's. If we still have a need after the draft and they are available then pick them up. They are both solid starters, but neither worth overpaying for.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
I think we gotta keep one. Would love to keep Powers, and he is better than Bethel outside, clearly. He's a good slot CB, and I'm not sure Honey Badger is going to be ready for the start of the season. I could see PUP list early on. Without him, our starting secondary is PP21, Bethel, Jefferson, Swearinger. We need to do a LOT of work there.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, it wouldn't bother me.

What we need to do is keep PP21/Badger/Tony Jeff for as long as we can.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am guessing the Cardinals will look at Eric Berry (Though he will probably not be available), Trumaine Johnson, Eric Weddle, Tashaun Gipson, George Iloka, and Leon Hall. I also wonder if they will look at Greg Toler. Walter Thurmond is another option at S.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We do not have a lot of reliable cornerbacks if someone like Peterson has to miss some games... Powers is a must to bring back in my opinion because he already knows the defense and is a vet :)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would do my absolute best to keep Johnson. He's the captain of the secondary and the amount of strategic and mental errors when his not on the field is obvious to anyone paying attention.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would do my absolute best to keep Johnson. He's the captain of the secondary and the amount of strategic and mental errors when his not on the field is obvious to anyone paying attention.
Man.... I cant believe it took this long for someone to say this.

Powers can go if the price gets too high..... Johnson is a lock to stay IMO.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Rashad Johnson is one of the worst tackling safeties in the NFL. The past two years he has broken down physically down the stretch. In the playoffs at Carolina two years ago, in order to try to slow down the Panther's running game, Todd Bowles called three FS run blitzes which put Rashad Johnson smack dab in the hole and Johnson whiffed all three times. Now---part of the problem was that Johnson was so banged up that he was reluctant to stick his pads into his hits.

The other problem with Johnson is his game speed. He's very good at anticipating some throws (that's his forte---sniffing passes out and making interceptions), but he lacks the type of centerfield speed that would allow him to make consistent plays over the top. How about the miserable break he made this year at Carolina on the pass to Corey Brown? Not only was Johnson slow in reacting to the play, with a chance to at least make the tackle on Brown, he took an awful pursuit angle and never even came close to tackling him. That was a back breaking TD. Johnson has never been a guy who can chase a ball carrier down from behind.

The other thing one could argue is that the Cardinals had their best game defensively when Johnson was out---versus the Packers in Week 16. His replacement, D.J. Swearinger, made one of the key plays in the game when on the Packers' first drive of the second half, Swearinger, stormed down the alley to take on James Starks who had broken though the first two levels---and boom, Swearinger's hit was not only fundamentally perfect, it jarred the ball loose and the Cardinals recovered.

Now, Swearinger is not the savvy, make the defensive calls-type FS that Johnson is---but Swearinger makes RBs and WRs think twice about running over the middle, which is a factor the Cardinals have been missing since the heydays of A-Dub.

BA & SK have both indicated that they want to draft a young FS with size and range.

Furthermore, the coaches have said they plan to start Tyrann Mathieu at FS. Thus, if Rashad Johnson returns it would be as a nickel safety---thus, he would not command starter's money.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Philly Brown made RJ look like a CFL'er in the playoffs. I don't think they'll make a decision based off 1 game but it's a terrible ending impression. If he wants to come back for 1-2m I wouldn't be against it.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rashad Johnson is one of the worst tackling safeties in the NFL. The past two years he has broken down physically down the stretch. In the playoffs at Carolina two years ago, in order to try to slow down the Panther's running game, Todd Bowles called three FS run blitzes which put Rashad Johnson smack dab in the hole and Johnson whiffed all three times. Now---part of the problem was that Johnson was so banged up that he was reluctant to stick his pads into his hits.

The other problem with Johnson is his game speed. He's very good at anticipating some throws (that's his forte---sniffing passes out and making interceptions), but he lacks the type of centerfield speed that would allow him to make consistent plays over the top. How about the miserable break he made this year at Carolina on the pass to Corey Brown? Not only was Johnson slow in reacting to the play, with a chance to at least make the tackle on Brown, he took an awful pursuit angle and never even came close to tackling him. That was a back breaking TD. Johnson has never been a guy who can chase a ball carrier down from behind.

The other thing one could argue is that the Cardinals had their best game defensively when Johnson was out---versus the Packers in Week 16. His replacement, D.J. Swearinger, made one of the key plays in the game when on the Packers' first drive of the second half, Swearinger, stormed down the alley to take on James Starks who had broken though the first two levels---and boom, Swearinger's hit was not only fundamentally perfect, it jarred the ball loose and the Cardinals recovered.

Now, Swearinger is not the savvy, make the defensive calls-type FS that Johnson is---but Swearinger makes RBs and WRs think twice about running over the middle, which is a factor the Cardinals have been missing since the heydays of A-Dub.

BA & SK have both indicated that they want to draft a young FS with size and range.

Furthermore, the coaches have said they plan to start Tyrann Mathieu at FS. Thus, if Rashad Johnson returns it would be as a nickel safety---thus, he would not command starter's money.

Interesting points. I can see Tyrann setting up the secondary the way Rashad did this year.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Johnson was just on NFL radio. He was putting on a sales pitch for his next job. Got the feeling he's going to the highest bidder.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If you're seeing that, you've found some damn good lsd.

why? Tyrann is a smart kid and he knows our defense as well as the coaches do, you can count on that.....it is absolutely zero stretch to see him calling the defensive plays and setting the alignments.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn