Random, Flaggstaff Observations

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
Antrell Rolle, playing in zone (especially cover 2), is a beast. He's made an interception every day. We should see much more cover 2 from the Cards and zone-blitzes. This kid is built perfectly for this and Bill Belichick would give anything to have this kid on his roster. Big, long arms, physical and can support the run (critical in cover 2 since he must FORCE any running play that comes his way). All this = Phi Beta Jamma.

Milford Brown has surprised me. Although his feet are limited, he is strong, keeps his feet under him, comes off the ball with a flat back and has a good punch. If he gets his hands on you it might be over. He needs a solid tackle next to him, someone with experience. This will help his lack of feet, tremendously. Stunts force him to move his feet and an experienced tackle won't sell him out, helping to keep the stunt in a confined, phone booth-like area.

Troy Walters is fast...

LeRon McCoy still gets beat up by a couple of balls each practice. He needs to be more consistent and seems to have stepped back over the last few days. Reminds me of Frank Sanders: drop an easy one and then make the most unbelievable grab you've ever seen on the next play.

Scott Player may be getting pressed by free-agent, Fred Capshaw. This kid is bombing punts all over the field and there are whispers...

Antrelle Rolle is the best punt-returner in camp. The staff is loathe to use him at that position but, like Dion Sanders, they may bring him in for special, must-have situations.

Adrian Wilson looks ready to go and more sure of himself, more comfortable. If he can drive to the ball and make plays in zone, he should purchase a condo in Hawaii.

Alex Stepanovich must be the starting center. Leckey is a fierce competitor and I love his guts but he gets over-powered in one-on-one drills. Step isn't much better but he is better...

Adam Bergen reminds me of Indianapolis' Dallas Clark. They're the same size, run crisp routes, catch the ball well and beat opponents with their head. Clark holds up well in pass protection (play-action) and if Bergen can do this the Cardinals will have found themselves an H-back gem.

Play-action is going to be huge for the Cardinals. Last year, Indy lead the league in play-action attempts. 40% of EVERY PLAY RUN by the Colts was a play-action pass. The staff has watched a ton of Colts film, evaluating how they might best replicate some of the things Indy did with The Edge, and their play-action was awesome. Many times, the Colts play-action was an eight-man protection, only releasing two-receivers into the pattern (with Edge as a "check-down"). This is why it's vital for Bergen to develop as a protector.

Training camp in Flagg rules: pinecones, flash-floods and pigskin.

cdex99

Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff as usual, Hardy. Keep up the good work.:thumbup:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info, HarBro!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Arthur,
We missed your radio reports today... :sad:

I dont think there were any major interviews today.

Jurecki usually does an interview but he is on his way back from Flagstaff for the weekend to watch the scrimmage.

And most of the sports talk today surrounded the whole Rick Tochett hockey gamlbing thing, and the new Barbosa contract for the Suns. Not much Cardinals talk today from what I could gather.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
A
Antrelle Rolle is the best punt-returner in camp. The staff is loathe to use him at that position but, like Dion Sanders, they may bring him in for special, must-have situations.

I have zero desire to see Antrel Rolle return punts unless the Cards are in the playoffs or a must-win come from behind situation late in the season. I keep thinking about the Jason Sehorn scenario. Good corners are rare and you need them healthy to play corner.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
When the season starts, who do you seeing lining up at TE, Pope or Bergen? I'd be excited to finally have a quality TE to use around the goal-line. My enthusiasm is tempered by the draft magazine I have (believe it is PFW) that just hated Pope.

Big knock on him in that mag was his blocking. But I read yesterday that Dockett was interviewed and said Pope was blocking well. Has Pope's blocking improved? Do you think we'll see more of Pope or of Bergen?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy,

How has Bryant Johnson been doing as kick returner? I know he has a decent 40 time, but it seems to me he lacks that "pop" or quick burst that you'd like to see from someone bringing back kicks. You know, someone who can stop or slow down and, in two or three steps, go from 0 to 60 and hit daylight.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
jw7 said:
I have zero desire to see Antrel Rolle return punts unless the Cards are in the playoffs or a must-win come from behind situation late in the season. I keep thinking about the Jason Sehorn scenario. Good corners are rare and you need them healthy to play corner.

Totally agreed here. Good corners are hard enough to find. The fact he is coming off of a knee injury would shelf the idea for me.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Adrian Wilson looks ready to go and more sure of himself, more comfortable. If he can drive to the ball and make plays in zone, he should purchase a condo in Hawaii.

Adrian is something the Cardinals have sorely lacked since '98 a 5-6 year home grown veteran starter. The kind of players who are the foundation of a contending football team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
Scott Player may be getting pressed by free-agent, Fred Capshaw. This kid is bombing punts all over the field and there are whispers...

That kid has a MONSTER leg...he was putting punts everywhere with amazing hang time and very, very deep. I was impressed by him on Wednesday and abomb and I were talking about maybe having him on our practice squad and next year Player retires and this kid comes in...he's got the tools to be a Pro Bowler. Glad you mentioned him...

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget that player is also the holder for Rackers, so it's not just punting.

OP
OP
Hardy Brown

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
When the season starts, who do you seeing lining up at TE, Pope or Bergen? I'd be excited to finally have a quality TE to use around the goal-line. My enthusiasm is tempered by the draft magazine I have (believe it is PFW) that just hated Pope.

I think all three tight-ends will see playing time but I think Pope will be the starter. Adam Bergen is having a fine camp but I see him more as the second tight-end or H-back. Eric Edwards may get some time in here but not much.

Pope needs to work on his blocking at the point-of-attack. He needs to get in the weight-room, put some beef on, and fill out a little. There is reason to believe he may become a fine blocker if he gets stronger. He has good feet, long arms (to lock-out on defenders) and shows a willingness to do it (which cannot be overstated).

The Cards will utilize a lot of two tight-ends this year. In fact, this personnel grouping is a close second to the Cards three-wide-receiver set. The staff must have been watching a lot of Indy film because they are emulating the Colts attack. This attack includes pounding the football with The Edge, using play-action (a ton) and keeping eight-men in to protect while releasing two-receivers into the pattern. Leonard Pope and Adam Bergen seems like a nice combination here but both of them need to be more physical. Can they do this? We shall see but there are clearly signs of improvement.

How has Bryant Johnson been doing as kick returner? I know he has a decent 40 time, but it seems to me he lacks that "pop" or quick burst that you'd like to see from someone bringing back kicks. You know, someone who can stop or slow down and, in two or three steps, go from 0 to 60 and hit daylight.

He's looked okay there. The major problem with specualting on returners is that it's hard to get a true look in practice. Returners need to be fearless, sure-handed and show good judgment.

A player has no fear in practice because he knows he's not going to get crushed. Because this player knows he's not going to get crushed, he catches the ball better, he's relaxed. Because he knows he's not going to get crushed, he takes more chances in practice and doesn't worry so much about making sound decisions. Whenever you take the element of fear out of the game of football you're not playing football...you're playing soccer. I believe you see the inherent problem with speculating on returners and how they're going to do when being crushed is factored in,

I wish I could be more emphatic but I'm sure you understand...

That kid has a MONSTER leg...he was putting punts everywhere with amazing hang time and very, very deep. I was impressed by him on Wednesday and abomb and I were talking about maybe having him on our practice squad and next year Player retires and this kid comes in...he's got the tools to be a Pro Bowler. Glad you mentioned him...

For the record, it doesn't mean I think Scott Player should be gone; it's quite the opposite. Player is a pro, a true to life NFL punter. Capshaw has got to do it in games, when it counts. Typically, proven punters (like Player) receive the benefit-of-the-doubt until they go into some kind of IN-SEASON funk. Then, especially if they're losing games, coaches are more inclined to make a move, cut a punter/kicker and sign an unproven with potential. Player should be fine but there are whispers...

Don't forget that player is also the holder for Rackers, so it's not just punting.

Truer words were never spoken. And don't think for a minute this will not be considered. I saw Rackers miss three field-goals in a row with Capshaw holding and I haven't seen him do that in a long, long time.

Some think Rackers may have been helping his buddy...if you get my drift.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy,

What are your initial impressions of Gabe Watson? He's probably the rookie I'm most excited about. I was hoping the Cards would draft him in the second round and nearly fainted when they got him in the 4th. I think he's the type of DT we sorely needed last year and I'm hoping he improves our poor run defense.

OP
OP
Hardy Brown

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
What are your initial impressions of Gabe Watson? He's probably the rookie I'm most excited about. I was hoping the Cards would draft him in the second round and nearly fainted when they got him in the 4th. I think he's the type of DT we sorely needed last year and I'm hoping he improves our poor run defense.

Gabe Watson has started to come on. The bulb appeared a little dim but I think coach Brooks may have turned the power on. This is a LARGE man, the biggest on the team (in terms of weight), and I believe - as it stands now - the Cards got a steal in the fourth-round! He isn't goping to help the Cardinals get more sacks but he is going to help this team win. Can he be a force this year? Yes. Will he be a category-four or five? I don't know but I like what I've seen of him so far.

By the way...he doesn't lack confidence. His quote to me and a friend, "Ask coach (Lloyd) Carr, he wouldn't let me practice because nobody could block me. I used to ruin practices."

Okay, Gabe, just hold the line. This isn't practice and you're not playing against some kid who wants to be a gym teacher. It's the NFL and Steve Hutchinson feeds his family by playing this game.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
For the record, it doesn't mean I think Scott Player should be gone; it's quite the opposite. Player is a pro, a true to life NFL punter. Capshaw has got to do it in games, when it counts. Typically, proven punters (like Player) receive the benefit-of-the-doubt until they go into some kind of IN-SEASON funk. Then, especially if they're losing games, coaches are more inclined to make a move, cut a punter/kicker and sign an unproven with potential. Player should be fine but there are whispers...

I agree that Player should be our punter...I just want to have this kid stashed away somewhere as he's very talented and Player is getting up there in years.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I agree that Player should be our punter...I just want to have this kid stashed away somewhere as he's very talented and Player is getting up there in years.

I'd rather have an accurate punter than one that just booms the ball downfield. I forget who it was but I read an interview with one of the top punt returners and he said any time he has to back up to catch a punt it means that he can return it because the punter outkicked the gunners.

Who saw this kid punting, did his kicks have a high arc on them?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
I'd rather have an accurate punter than one that just booms the ball downfield. I forget who it was but I read an interview with one of the top punt returners and he said any time he has to back up to catch a punt it means that he can return it because the punter outkicked the gunners.

Who saw this kid punting, did his kicks have a high arc on them?

I saw him punting and his punts were super high...monster hang time, and deep. I was actually most impressed with the hang time of his punts than the depth...they were deep (some 60 yards or so from point of kick) but they hung in the air forever. He's got an incredible leg.

Hide this guy away...please hide him.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
By the way...he doesn't lack confidence. His quote to me and a friend, "Ask coach (Lloyd) Carr, he wouldn't let me practice because nobody could block me. I used to ruin practices."

LOL, that's great stuff.

Thanks again for the updates, Hardy. Keep 'em coming!

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I saw him punting and his punts were super high...monster hang time, and deep. I was actually most impressed with the hang time of his punts than the depth...they were deep (some 60 yards or so from point of kick) but they hung in the air forever. He's got an incredible leg.

Hide this guy away...please hide him.

:raccoon:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard