Random Roster Thoughts

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trying to make any sense out of this roster right now is futile.

No serious team goes into May with this Dline. Or with a 36-year-old Colt McCoy as a the Week 1 starting QB. Or with Dennis Gardeck having the 4th largest cap hit on the defense. This isn't a traditional rebuild. This looks like a 76ers Process-style tanking effort. And if it isn't, we should all be very, very worried.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He ran even fronts, odd fronts, weird morphing stuff. Half the coverage in Philly media was trying to pin him down on defensive philosophy. He will sub a ton of packages in one game, straight in another.

And I'm not saying that's not good I'm just saying it's a lot easier to do that with the personnel he had in Philly, than it will be with the personnel we have. But that's the same with a base defense too they just had much more talent than we currently do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Myjai Sanders isn't a 4-3 end, nor is Ojulari at this point.

Gannon doesn't line up like that much in a traditional 4 man front. I think we're wasting our time on this discussion.

There are some examples here but but you can see even when in a 4 man front he often has 2 guys stood up at 7 or 9. Sometimes in a 4 man he has a guy at 5 in a 3 point and Reddick stood up at 7 on the other side. There's a play in here where the Edges are wider than 9 and off the LOS.

He's pretty much always in a 3-4 on 1st down but unlike most teams where they switch to a 4 man front on 2nd and 3rd down Gannon would stay in a 3-4 quite a bit on 2nd down and even on 3rd down fairly often.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Gannon doesn't line up like that much in a traditional 4 man front. I think we're wasting our time on this discussion.

There are some examples here but but you can see even when in a 4 man front he often has 2 guys stood up at 7 or 9. Sometimes in a 4 man he has a guy at 5 in a 3 point and Reddick stood up at 7 on the other side. There's a play in here where the Edges are wider than 9 and off the LOS.

He's pretty much always in a 3-4 on 1st down but unlike most teams where they switch to a 4 man front on 2nd and 3rd down Gannon would stay in a 3-4 quite a bit on 2nd down and even on 3rd down fairly often.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I made an error when originally was looking at the Eagles defensive snap counts last season. They ran a ton of nickel it was just that Maddox missed a bunch of games. This opens up the option of having Simmons play a single high or deep S role and have on or both of Budda and Jalen in the box/slot.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Having looked a bit further into this based upon D-Dogg and Brit's comments, it looks like Gannon ran a lot of nickel and was comfortable with almost a wide 5-2 look vs run heavy teams.
and even against 2 TE sets (or vs SF, a TE and FB)

i did notice this: the four or 5 guys near the LOS all took on blocks and kinda two-gapped em / stood their ground

even Reddick -- who in AZ was super suspect vs the run

there was GAP integrity that Steve Wilks would have been proud of