Random Roster Thoughts

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Just some random thoughts on our roster that I need to get out of my head.

1 - We have 16 offensive linemen under contract, and only one of those is paid more than 4 mil (Humphries). I don't believe any player outside of Humphries and Paris Johnson is "safe".

2 - Our RB room is limited on explosive players, and our WR room has multiple small guys. Won't be shocked if Rondale Moore ends training camp as a RB as it is a better path for him to get snaps.

3 - Zaven Collins is the only non-EDGE LB over 240 lbs on our roster (depending on how you gauge Ojulari). Simmons the only one over 235. Would not shock me to see some shifting in roles from one of these two players.

4 - Not sure who our other base DE will be opposite Thomas. Ledbetter is listed but those are done by the media team, not the coaches. I don't know how much to factor this in, but every DE on the Eagles last year was listed 255 - 270 lbs.

5 - We have 10 ILBs listed on our roster. No idea what to do with that other than think some players are going to be shifted around.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how players are using the offseason to remake their bodies.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just some random thoughts on our roster that I need to get out of my head.

1 - We have 16 offensive linemen under contract, and only one of those is paid more than 4 mil (Humphries). I don't believe any player outside of Humphries and Paris Johnson is "safe".

2 - Our RB room is limited on explosive players, and our WR room has multiple small guys. Won't be shocked if Rondale Moore ends training camp as a RB as it is a better path for him to get snaps.

3 - Zaven Collins is the only non-EDGE LB over 240 lbs on our roster (depending on how you gauge Ojulari). Simmons the only one over 235. Would not shock me to see some shifting in roles from one of these two players.

4 - Not sure who our other base DE will be opposite Thomas. Ledbetter is listed but those are done by the media team, not the coaches. I don't know how much to factor this in, but every DE on the Eagles last year was listed 255 - 270 lbs.

5 - We have 10 ILBs listed on our roster. No idea what to do with that other than think some players are going to be shifted around.

I think Beachum and Hernandez are locks. Both signed 2 year deals with basically a year locked in guaranteed money. Probably Josh Jones too as he's cheap. Other than that I don't think anyone else is a lock.

Rondale can barely survive playing WR. He'd last about 10 minutes as a RB. I don't think he's a great scheme fit and will be surprised if he plays more than 30% of snaps. They should probably trade him.

On the defensive front, the roster still looks like that of a 3-4 team. I was sure they would go 4-3 when they signed Kyzir and a million other LB's but nothing about our DL says they are. We have more standup Edge guys that true DE's, and 2 of those that could play 4-3 DE are Collier and Dimukeje :barf:.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how players are using the offseason to remake their bodies.
My guess is you will see that more between the mandatory camp in June and training camp in August if players look like they will need to shift. It sounds like they are already getting looks at Collins outside.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
maybe LJ Collier? 6-3 290 but not an inside guy. a 4-3 can have a big DE in the 290s and lighter one in the 270s

per above, i think the lighter DE is Cam Thomas -- but who knows

that would put Rashard Lawrence as one DT and Carlos Watkins as the other. Leki and friends back up

passing downs: one of the DTs comes off, Cam Thomas kicks inside and Ojulari / MyJai come in as DE

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
maybe LJ Collier? 6-3 290 but not an inside guy. a 4-3 can have a big DE in the 290s and lighter one in the 270s

per above, i think the lighter DE is Cam Thomas -- but who knows

that would put Rashard Lawrence as one DT and Carlos Watkins as the other. Leki and friends back up

passing downs: one of the DTs comes off, Cam Thomas kicks inside and Ojulari / MyJai come in as DE
Woof. This is a discouraging group of defensive linemen.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I don't see Rondale moving to RB, but think it's very possible (maybe probable?) his main impact is still on things like bubble screens, jet sweeps, etc.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think the Cards definitely start Johnson at LG if Humphries is healthy. Johnson needs game action to understand the difference between college & the NFL. Beachum will start at RT but is on a short leash. He’s essentially only played tackle and his performance was adequate.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When Schneider and Caroll took over the Seahawks, the roster churn the first year was some outrageous number of over 250 roster transactions - I kind of expect that this year. Just constant churn trying to find the core to build upon next draft and free agency.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When Schneider and Caroll took over the Seahawks, the roster churn the first year was some outrageous number of over 250 roster transactions - I kind of expect that this year. Just constant churn trying to find the core to build upon next draft and free agency.
You don't build a core around the bottom 10 guys on your roster.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Collins was also working with the edge rushers early on which has people wondering if Gannon intends to use him as a pass rusher in passing situations.

I still haven't seen any clear declaration are we 3-4 or 4-3? Clearly we don't have the DL that they had in Philly so assuming he'll play what they played there might not be correct.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess Collins was also working with the edge rushers early on which has people wondering if Gannon intends to use him as a pass rusher in passing situations.

I still haven't seen any clear declaration are we 3-4 or 4-3? Clearly we don't have the DL that they had in Philly so assuming he'll play what they played there might not be correct.

Gannon has made a 'clear declaration' that he won't be getting into a 3-4 / 4-3 debate.

He says that it's about matchups and that will be a week-to-week adaptation.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gannon has made a 'clear declaration' that he won't be getting into a 3-4 / 4-3 debate.

He says that it's about matchups and that will be a week-to-week adaptation.

Right I guess we'll see how that works. The reason it comes up of course is many of us remember Wilks essentially promising he wasn't going to switch to a 4-3 and then switching to a 4-3 which created a real issue since the defensive roster was far better suited for a 3-4 from the prior staff. That was one of the real issues I think he had with the Cards, if he intended to switch come out and say so.

But I'm assuming Gannon was honest with the Cards before we hired him so they knew his philosophy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Right I guess we'll see how that works. The reason it comes up of course is many of us remember Wilks essentially promising he wasn't going to switch to a 4-3 and then switching to a 4-3 which created a real issue since the defensive roster was far better suited for a 3-4 from the prior staff. That was one of the real issues I think he had with the Cards, if he intended to switch come out and say so.

But I'm assuming Gannon was honest with the Cards before we hired him so they knew his philosophy.
The difference is that Wilks had established stars he played away from the strengths of, including Chandler Jones and Patrick Peterson. He ended up essentially benching Deone Bucannon for Josh Bynes.

There are no stars on this defense right now to miscast. It's community theater all the way down.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The difference is that Wilks had established stars he played away from the strengths of, including Chandler Jones and Patrick Peterson. He ended up essentially benching Deone Bucannon for Josh Bynes.

There are no stars on this defense right now to miscast. It's community theater all the way down.
This is one reason I think they will just go to a 4-3. There is not any talent that requires sticking with a 3-4.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I'm not shocked if they work him in at DE to get him consistent snaps. That is a guess, but one based upon his work with EDGE players at times already, his size, and the depth of the LB position and lack-of at DE.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was his philosophy in Philly. He ran all kinds of looks.